RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How many channels do you guys use for Electric Park flyers?

Old 08-07-2003, 05:06 AM
Crash_Airlines

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How many channels do you guys use for Electric Park flyers?

I've currently been flying an Aerobird for a few weeks because it's an easy plane to start out with. I'm considering buying a GWS Tiger Moth, and GWS sells a 4 channel transmitter & kit for the Tiger Moth.

I'd eventually like to be able to fly a GWS Zero which sounds a little more difficult to fly, and I'm not sure if I should go there straight from an aerobird. The Zero can get by on a 4 channel transmitter, but would need 5 channels if I ever put on retractable wheels from what I read. I have no idea what type of planes I might move to after that.

I know I will never buy those real large RC planes I've seen pictures of. I'll never buy anything bigger than a park flyer. And I intend to stay electric with any plane I buy.

The Aerobird comes with a very basic transmitter that can't be used on other planes, so I'm not real knowledegable as to what all these channels do on RC transmitters and what my future needs might be in flying.

I'd hate to buy a 4 channel transmitter now, then a year from now need a 5 channel transmitter for a plane I like better, then the year after need a 6 channel transmitter for a better plane, etc.,,,

I'd like to be able to use the transmitter I buy now for future planes too if possible so I don't have to keep buying new transmitters all the time. But I'm not realy sure how many channels I might need in the future. I'm a person who doesn't mind paying for quality, but I don't want to do it every year for a transmitter. Any thoughts on what the "Norm" usually is for the channels you move up to in planes?
Old 08-07-2003, 05:17 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GWS Slow Stick
1) Throttle
2) Rudder
3) Elevator
4) Curtek Lighting
5) Aiptek MegaPenCam or 'bomb' drop

GWS Zero
1) Throttle
2) Rudder
3) Elevator
4), 5) Flaperons
6) Retracts

Kavan Parenavia (okay, slightly bigger than a Park Flyer) currently under construction:

1),2) Throttle Left/Right Motor (twin ESC)
3) Rudder
4) Elevator
5), 6) Flaperons
7) Curtek Lighting
8) ?Aiptek MegaPencam?

Basically it's as complicated as you'd want it to be, but in general the more channels imo the better, as you might use 'em later on (You mostly use extra channels for mixing also)

Also, consider that it isn't all too bad "upgrading" your radio later on, the old transmitter could be used for either a backup radio or buddy box. Many RCU'ers have mentioned that the TrackerII is the best bang for the buck now ($200 transmitter alone), others to consider starting out with is the Flash 5X, RD6000, JR662, 6XEA.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:29 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My RRC Edge is just a 4. Aileron-Elevator-Throttle-Rudder.

My dad's gonna pick up a Watt-Age Sukhoi and modify it to hold 2 wing servos with will be
1.Aileron/Flaperon (Servo 1)
2.Elevator
3.Throttle
4.Rudder
5.Aileron/Flaperon (Servo 2)

Check out HiTec's Flash 5X. It should be all the computer a park pilot should ever need. That or the Futaba 6X (slightly more expensive). The HiTec Eclipse is pushing what you'll ever need for a park flyer so I probably wouldn't get that... JR also makes 2 great 6-channel setups. I don't like the AirTronics radios because the screens seem a little "cluttered".
Old 08-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Crash_Airlines

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys! :thumbup: