Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 8FG goes to 14 Channels!!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 8FG goes to 14 Channels!!

WEIRD.....
So why get 14 channels, and you can only have 4-switches?
My point...SO the 8 channel has 12-switches sliders ect???
Because the other 4-channels would be used for the Throttle,Elevator, Aleron,Rudder....

Anyone get what I am saying???

I can use a 100channel reciever, but my Hitech will only support 9 or them...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: kochj

Because the other 4-channels would be used for the Throttle,Elevator, Aleron,Rudder....

I guess for the IMAC crowd 14 channels would be used a lot for several servos on the same control surface, i.e. several channels would all be actuated buy the same action, such as moving the aileron stick would control servos a,b,c on the right wing and x,y,z on the left. thats 6 channels used up, only 8 left
Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Why call it an 8 when it's 12 + 2? [:-] Makes no sense, must not have been well-thought out. (And I'm a Futaba guy.)
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 8fg processor is probably based on the 12fg unit or is actually identical. Enabling the extra channels is simply a software thing. After I bought my 12z, Futaba released an update enabling two more channels. (non-proportional) The 8fg was a "8+2" channel radio from jump. The 10c is also 8+2. The 10c is based on the older, proven 9c. The 8fg is of the latest generation. Being updatable is the best part! Look for more cool stuff for the 8fg as time goes on. The more they sell, the more they'll tinker with it.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Kupfer

Sweeeeeeet, I was just going to go and order a 14mz for my new giant scale.

This has just saved me big $$$$, Updating my 8FG. 
Old 02-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Silent-AV8R

Just a minor note, while all the FASST radios FG, Z, and MZ radios are all 14 channels they do have very different programming capabilities. The 8 does not have all the power and flexibility of the 12FG/Z and 14MZ. It lacks the number of conditions and several other items. But it is an amazingly powerful radio for its price point!

You can compare features here: http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

Note that the page needs to be updated regarding the channel count, but the rest is fairly up to date.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 AM
TimBle

the 8FG has always had 14 channels, if you used S-bus. The update enable 14channels for the analogue ports on the R6014HS Rx. As for switches,not sure what 4 switches has to do with anything but the 8FG has 6 3position switches, 1 two position switch, 1 two position momentary switch, two dial switches and two slider switches in addition to the normal controls aileron, elevator, throttle and rudder and their trims. What has switches to do with channels anyway?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: kochj

WEIRD.....

I can use a 100channel reciever, but my Hitech will only support 9 or them...
Lets see:

Ch1: Elevator 1
Ch2: Elevator 2
Ch3: Rudder
Ch4: Aileron 1
Ch5: Aileron 2
Ch6: Throttle
Ch7: Flaps 1
Ch8: Flaps 2
Ch9: Landing gear
Ch10: Spoiler
Ch11: Wheel brakes
Ch12: 3-position switch engine aux ( shutdown, standby & smoke option),
Ch13: Rx Voltage monitor
Ch14: Rx Backup power supply

You can also use extra channels for bombs/bomb bay doors, gear/gear door sequencing, scale details like pilot heads, canopies, pop-out ladders, folding wings, etc.

Regards,
Doug.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:17 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

OK, I have no computer savy and I have never updated a Futaba radio, exactly what are the steps after you go to the link? And do I need a manuls for all the functions?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:59 AM
TimBle

Its dead easy.

You download the update file.

you save it to harddisc.

Insert your SD card.

unpack the .zip file

run the .exe file, usually it is the Upddatex.x.exe file. This will open a Futaba file utility application which will prompt yo to direct where you want to save the files. Point the application to the drive where the SD card is inserted.

The file utility will Copy the files to the SD card.

Now open the battery bay in the tX and slide the the little slide button to the left. This is the uplaod file position. Insert the SD card while the TX is OFF.

start up the TX and it will prompt you to hold the "RTN" button for 3secs. Follow the onscreen instructions anmd the upload begins.

Omce it is complete, switch off the TX and remove the SD card. Slide the slide button in the TX battery bay back to the right hand side position while the TX is off. Reinsert the SD card and power it up.

Check for the upgrade in the sys menu.

Done!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

This all sounds good, but in my search to buy a new system this year, it seems like the 10, 12FG, and 12Z are looking more and more alike. Because I enjoy scale, I want the additional capabilities that 12 (or more) channels would bring. However, even looking at Futaba's comparison chart, there seems to be little difference between the 12FG and 12Z. Also, I'm not a newbie and have a technical background, but I'm still a little confused as to why I would spend the extra $ for a 12Z. Any ideas? Thanks, Lee
Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
DougV

Lee,

The 12Z has 2 cpu's, the 12FG has one.
The gimballs/Pods on the 12Z are much better than that of the 12FG, you can adjust them to your liking.
The 12Z has the standard 4 trim tabs, the 12FG has 6.

There's a few more mixes on the 12Z, and the battery on the Z is better.

The rest you can compare here: http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

If I can remember more while having a cold one, I'll let you know

Hope that helps,
Doug.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: R/C Lee

This all sounds good, but in my search to buy a new system this year, it seems like the 10, 12FG, and 12Z are looking more and more alike. Because I enjoy scale, I want the additional capabilities that 12 (or more) channels would bring. However, even looking at Futaba's comparison chart, there seems to be little difference between the 12FG and 12Z. Also, I'm not a newbie and have a technical background, but I'm still a little confused as to why I would spend the extra $ for a 12Z. Any ideas? Thanks, Lee
A good question and the intial research can be a bit daunting. First, the 10C is not like the 8FG, 12FG, 12Z or 14MZ. From a programming point of view the 10C is the same as a 9C. The rest of the radios program in an identical manner with the most expensive having more features than the least expensive but they all use the same programmng language ( as seen by the end user). The 14MZ and the 12Z are almost identical in programming with mostly physical features being the major difference - such as the 14MZ having a color touch screen and two additional sliders. The total number of digital trims is also different, but, in my opinion the discerning difference is that the 14MZ has a color touch screen and it is considerably bigger. A major difference between the 12Z and the 12FG is that the 12Z has multi engine capability as part of the programming and the 12FG does not. If you want to fly multi engine planes I would not even consider buying the 12FG over the 12Z if you don't fly multi engine planes then maybe the choice is different. It is much easier to program multi engine planes with a 12Z than with a 12FG. There are some other differences and if you interested send me a PM and I will try to list them. The LCD and the ease of navigating the 12Z menus is the best I have ever used. One drawback is that the LCD is not backlit but, it is easier and more convenient that the 12FG. I downloaded and read the 8FG manual and it is similar to the 12FG but, I cannot comment on any distinctive differences in navigating their respective menus because I have not done that. The 8FG seems to lack servo speed control and I think that has value and without it I would not own the radio. All of these Futaba radios (except the 10C) are more flexible and allow the user to almost anything they want to do. I have owned the JR 12X and it was a real quality radio, but when it comes to flexibility it did not compare to the Futaba radios.

Howard

Old 02-27-2011, 02:42 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Doug and Howard, thanks for the quick responses. Clearly, from what you have both said, the 12Z is a better solution for me. One of this year's projects is to build a Don Smith Me110, so the multi-engine feature looks pretty good. I'm also lusting after one of Wingspan's 1/12th B17, so the need for multi-engine capability is certainly there. In my research, I was leaning towards the 12Z, but no one at my flying site uses/needs the extra capabilities, so it's nice to hear from you both. Thanks again, Lee
Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 AM
StevL

When adding the additional channels to the 8fg, does the Tx suffer any response difference such as resolution, latency, etc.?

Steve
Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Skaluf

ORIGINAL: StevL

When adding the additional channels to the 8fg, does the Tx suffer any response difference such as resolution, latency, etc.?

Steve

Nope, same great high speed 8FG.

Steve
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
TimBle

I believe the 8FG has more than a bit of spare processing capacity  available in its box of tricks.

Skaluf, what is the release date for FASSTEST?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:07 AM
jcervantes11

Let say. I invented the futaba 8fg. But I added enough work to it and it just ready and good as is for price. Then later I work on it and want to surprise you customer and compete for hitec aurora 9. Remember it is not a finish product yet. So............ Eh lets bring more people into our company. Not only you will enjoy the best 2.4ghz technology but offer good quality futaba experience. Sure price for receiver is expensive but look what we offer. Awesome! Not only you get updates to extand the life of futaba 8fg. You get the best experience for years to come on a great product. Futaba 8fg is the first 8ch 2.4ghz radio and look what they turn it into. A damn 400 dollars radio. Okay its more of a 300 dollars radio. Receiver is over 100 dollars. God damn this is love from god blessing us and making futaba do what is good. Respect that and enjoy. Hope it stay like this and not use us for $$
Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 AM
jcervantes11

But we will guess that it will do a 180. Maybe use us to bring more $ before they do 180 turn. I hope not.........
Old 03-02-2011, 05:21 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Does 8fg have servo grouping? That feature allows two elevator or rudder servos to move in sync. 12z or 14mz have it.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:16 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Hi y'all,

I just got the 8FG with a R6008HS rx. I then purchased a R6106HFC rx to install in a park flyer. Lo and behold, when I tried to bind the 6106 to the tx, it would not bind. Then I found out, (from the manual), about changing "frequencies" from multi, to 7-ch, and now I can bind the 6106. Looking at the compatibility chart on Futaba's website, certain receivers will work in 7-ch mode and others in multi mode. What gives? I'm new to Futaba 2.4 and looking to stay with them, but I need some answers to these questions: If I install a receiver of say, 7-ch mode in one model, and the 6008 which runs on multi-mode in another model, do I have to go into the tx programming and change freq modes each time I fly the different models? Does the freq. mode for each receiver stay programmed into each model memory? I'd hate to have to change freq. mode every time I want to fly a model with a different receiver due to "compatibility" of frequency.

Jesse
Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

When you first set up a plane, you need to specify 7 channel or multimode (and now multimode2 for 14 channels). The system will then remember the mode for that plane and you will not have to set again unless you change receivers with the new one operating in a different mode.

Bruce
Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM
whstlngdeath

Great, thanks. It would've been just a inconvenience to have to change modes each time, but it's good that the transmitter will remember each plane's receiver mode. This 8FG is looking like a winner. I just wish the supplied manual was a little more detailed. It seems to be a direct translation of the Japanese version.

Jesse
Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

Futaba user manuals is perhaps not so good. When I have a programing problem to solve I check in manual and if it is not mentioned there (or I do not understand) I check Futaba FAQ for my radio and many solutions for various problems are posted there. Or just Google on the problem and usually an answer is found rather quick. I have Futaba 14MZ. For Futaba 10C/10CG there is "The User's Guide" http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1232
I'm sure it would be a market for such guides for other Futaba radios also.

/Bo
Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 AM
whstlngdeath

Thanks bem. I used to use a Futaba 8UHPs and the aftermarket book for it was very good. I hope that someone will come up with a aftermarket manual for the 8FG soon.

Jesse

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.