Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is The Futaba 9c A Good Radio For A Begginer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:01 PM
tesmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is The Futaba 9c A Good Radio For A Begginer?

I'm fairly new to this hobby though I was into it when I was a teenager. I've never owned a computer radio and I'm loking to buy my first one. All I've been hearing is how great the Futaba 9c is but I'm wondering if it's a bit of overkill for begginer flyer. I think it would be a good base for my future planes but I'm worried about being able to program it. Is this radio too much for somene who's fairly new? I really like it and I think it would be a good radio to have when it comes time for me to buy more complicated planes. I'd rather spend the extra money now on a really good radio than buy a lesser complicated radio now and end up wanting to buy another one down the road. But like I said, I'm just worried about being able to use it. Thanks for all your advice.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Crashem

Its fine for a beginner. You simply won't use most of the features on your trainer. Go for it if you got the funds
Old 08-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

If the 9c is your personal first choice at this point, it would make an excellent first radio because it's not that much more expensive than 6ch computer radios (yes, you DO want to start out with computer radios and stay there.. trust me).

Additionally, you'll be surprised to see how fast you grow into it's features. It may be the only radio you will need for several years at which time technology will have given us a whole brand new range of radio control (me, I'm waiting for voice control... so far, all that works at the moment is "I ain't got it!").

If you would like to pinch your pennies even more for now, you might watch for a used but well cared for Futaba Super 7 or 8. Then upgrade in a couple of years when you get a better feel for what you want.

Highflight
Old 08-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default nope

Super easy to program-

Easier than setting your VCR to tape when your not home-
Old 08-07-2003, 07:51 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

The 9C was my second (and probably last) radio. I was a beginner coming right from a trainer. Great radio with lots of versatility.

Hey Razor? Did you get my PM?
Old 08-07-2003, 07:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great radio. One of the best I have ever used. You won't use much of it at first, but will grow into it. Go for it. You will be pleased.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:38 PM
IronCross

If you can swing it go for the 9C. You will grow into it and if you decide you don't like the hobby you won't find an easier radio to
sell. It's a win/win
Old 08-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Baz
My Feedback: (1)

Just ordered one today ... can't wait to get started with it. I think it all comes down to two things:
1.) Are you in the sport for the long haul?
2.) Do you have the funds?

Even if you aren't in it for the long haul you can sell the radio as mentioned already ... however at a loss of $$. This leads me back to #2. If you can afford and plan to be in the sport a while it go for it. If not and you're going to fly a trainer & then hang it up go for a simple 4 ch. ... @ $140 it's tough to ignore a Futaba simple 4 ch.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by xbazx
Just ordered one today ... can't wait to get started with it. I think it all comes down to two things:
1.) Are you in the sport for the long haul?
2.) Do you have the funds?

Even if you aren't in it for the long haul you can sell the radio as mentioned already ... however at a loss of $$. This leads me back to #2. If you can afford and plan to be in the sport a while it go for it. If not and you're going to fly a trainer & then hang it up go for a simple 4 ch. ... @ $140 it's tough to ignore a Futaba simple 4 ch.
You're looking at it all wrong. The 9c is like having 8 radios (8 model memory) but for only the cost of a couple and a half, AND, it's got features that take it's capabilities way beyond a basic radio.
There, you now have justification and rationalization all in one sentence.

Highflight
Old 08-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Baz
My Feedback: (1)

I guess I'm trying to highlight the fact that 4 ch. radios are really cheap and if there is a doubt about how long you'll be in the sport it's hard to pass up.

If you go the 4 ch. route then decide RC isn't for you you've minimized your financial exposure.

If you decide to stay in you can then buy the 9C and you have only spent a few bucks more than a flight pack will cost for your next plane. Sell the 4 ch Tx and you're golden for plane #2.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:27 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Highflight
There, you now have justification

What? You have to justify your toys? No way! Say it aint so!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 09:48 PM
IronCross

Actually it's like having 14 radios since tower etc now includes the campack with it :-).
I am sitting here with three radios because I did not want to "overbuy" before I was ready. Would have been better off and saved a lot of money to just buy the best I could afford at the time.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Well, unfortunately guys I am one who will have to disagree with the purchase of the 9C for the first radio. Here are my thoughts.

For a newbie, you may not care for the hobby and it may be better not invest so heavily at first. In addition, you will only use the first 4 channels for your first and probably second plane. By the time you get ready for the mixing, a newer model of the 9C may be out.

Just my thoughts.