Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Used DX7SE
0%
New DX6i
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Used DX7SE v new DSMX 6i

Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used DX7SE v new DSMX 6i

So...was about to pull the trigger on a nice, shiny new BNF DSMX DX6i when a coworker said "Well...I've got a DX7SE that I really haven't used much and I don't have any reason to keep it since I have a new 7 and an 8...want it?"

$20 cheaper to get the 7SE, and have bought a couple cars and such from the same guy, and he takes very good care of all of his equipment. Despite not being supported for updated firmware and whatnot, is there any real disadvantage to buying a DX7SE?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Used DX7SE v new DSMX 6i

It all comes down to "what will you fly with it?"
Personally - I like the 7se tx feel
However - unles I was a hard core heli guy really into maximum flailing around- I would go for the DX6i
Why?
It is a later generation tx
having said that Get a DX8 i fyou can swing the $ 365 . (recent ads )
You get all the features and bind n fly and lot's of model memory. well worth th step up. NOBODY else can touch the features .
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmh

It all comes down to ''what will you fly with it?''
However - unles I was a hard core heli guy really into maximum flailing around- I would go for the DX6i
Why?
having said taht
Get a DX8 i fyou can swing the $ 365 . (recent ads )
You get all the features and bind n fly and lot's of model memory. well worth th step up.
It may not matter, but I believe the 7SE cannot be used with a Buddy Box. Just something to consider if you plan to train anyone with that Tx. It is still a good radio.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: rmh

It all comes down to ''what will you fly with it?''
Why?
having said taht
Get a DX8 i fyou can swing the $ 365 . (recent ads )
You get all the features and bind n fly and lot's of model memory. well worth th step up.
It may not matter, but I believe the 7SE cannot be used with a Buddy Box. Just something to consider if you plan to train anyone with that Tx. It is still a good radio.
Correct, the DX7-SE does not have a trainer port so it cannot be used for training and it won't work with simulators unless you happen to have something that's capable of a wireless interface with the tx. It's also not upgradable to DSMX....

That said, I've had the DX6i and the DX7 and while I'm not fond of the button arrangement on the DX7 vs. the DX6i, it is a much more capable radio and there have been issues with the rollers (menu selection) on the DX6i giving up the ghost.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The DX7 SE may not be an orphan- it will still be supported by HH
however - all in all it is not as handy as a plain ol DX7
so haggle on the price -if you really want it.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks, guys. A wireless interface with the computer for a simulator hadn't been considered. Wonder how one would work that?

The training port isn't a huge deal. For now just planning to fly an Eflite Stinson, maybe build a low wing kit or two, and maybe, eventually, get into collective pitch helicopters once this silly, battered old Blade CX has been mastered. One thing that's been learned over the years though is if you can buy something better, do it right away rather than later; no point in skimping.

Probably gonna go with the 7SE. Not terribly concerned with DSMX or bind and fly stuff in general.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
onewasp

Let us not forget that the 'se' is 2048 vs. 1024 on the 6i and (though it has been discussed it hasn't been labeled)
it is 11ms on frame rate vs. 22ms on the 6i. Yep, if you are playing around with fixed wing a couple inches off the ground, or
as rmh mentioned 3DHeli flying you'll like it. Normal flying you won't see it.

I have an 'se' (others as well) but there is no way I would begin to trade it for the 6i.

As always a personal choice.
Mine would be as stated for a choice between the 'se' and the 6i .

HOWEVER, I would go DX8 if there is anyway you can do so.
I'm not high on telemetry but it has both 11ms and 22ms frame rates as well as 2048 resolution (yes I can feel it and I can tell you how to feel it as well))
not to mention both DSM2 and DSMX transmission protocols.
If you like it, telemetry is also there.

As you can see there are individual reasons for the choices.
The DX8, by comparison to the other two is way more advanced and hence a better buy IMO.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:03 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Thanks, guys. A wireless interface with the computer for a simulator hadn't been considered. Wonder how one would work that?

The training port isn't a huge deal. For now just planning to fly an Eflite Stinson, maybe build a low wing kit or two, and maybe, eventually, get into collective pitch helicopters once this silly, battered old Blade CX has been mastered. One thing that's been learned over the years though is if you can buy something better, do it right away rather than later; no point in skimping.

Probably gonna go with the 7SE. Not terribly concerned with DSMX or bind and fly stuff in general.

The 11ms frame rate is why it won't work with a sim, not just the connection.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rmh - where have you seen dx8's for 365?