RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

3 point vs 5 point curve

Old 08-08-2003, 09:57 PM
flyingjake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 3 point vs 5 point curve

I might be getting into helicopter,and want to use the same radio for my planes, my question is:

Is the 5 point curve radios only for the pilors who are going to be doing extreme flying. any info would help.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Phil Cole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Once you get beyond hovering, five point curves are quite useful. Even in simple forward flight, five point curves have distinct advantages over three point curves. Smoothing the collective around hover, maintaining headspeed in steep descents, adjusting hover pitch and throttle at the 1/4 and 3/4 points for symetrical aerobatic setups are some examples.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:30 PM
The PIPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default And there's even an ELEVEN point curve Tx out there...

Dear FlyingJake:

The PIPE here yet again...and there IS a "radio of sorts" out there with an ELEVEN point (including the endpoints) capability out there...the only "catch" is that you pretty much HAVE TO BUILD IT yourself!

The key item here is the Gordon Anderson MICROSTAR computer-chip-based Tx encoder assembly...its home page (here we go AGAIN) is at http://mstar2k.com/ ...and if you've got the FREELY downloadable "Adobe Acrobat Reader", you can view this encoder's PROGRAMMING manual, which is at http://mstar2k.com/programming.pdf !!!

There are FOUR separate eleven point "tables" in that MicroStar's Tx computer encoder setup that can be used, and that SHOULD take care of just about ANY need for a special curve for your needs!

My very FIRST single stick MicroStar based transmitter is just about READY to use...I also have a SECOND MicroStar encoder that will go into another scratchbuilt single stick transmitter this winter...and Gordon HIMSELF built each of these encoder board assemblies up for me, and tested them as well, for only $150 postpaid each!

Haven't tried choppers as yet...but I DO know that the ONLY RC heli I'd like to go with is at http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...nix/index.html ...since it IS four stroke powered, as all the models I fly with ARE four stroke powered!

Don't know if you're "up to the task" of building up your OWN RC radios...but those that DO can have that QUARTET of ELEVEN point tables available to them, when using a MicroStar encoder in their homebuilt transmitters!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 08-09-2003, 03:22 PM
radray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pipe,

Multiplex Profi 4000 has up to 13 point curves - stock.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:48 PM
The PIPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default But they do NOT make single stick 'KNOBBY RADIOS' !!!

Dear MPX_4000:

The PIPE Here yet again...but SORRY, I NEED to fly single stick radios...

...as I CANNOT have the throttle "mixed up mechanically" in ANY way at all, with the aerodynamic controls, to SAFELY fly RC planes! It HAS to be "separate"...just as in a full scale plane's cockpit!

There's just something "better" to the "feel" of a knobby SINGLE STICK radio for my needs...all THREE aerodynamic control channels get operated by ONLY ONE HAND...and the "other' hand gets to manage the throttle ALL BY ITSELF, which works GREAT for my preferred interest in SCALE flying!

Scale flying of pre-WW II subject aircraft seems to be best done when one manages the throttle THROUGHOUT the flight...and having the throttle on the SIDE of the Tx case just makes keeping GOOD control of THAT critical function SO much easier and more pleasureable!

A GROWING number of RCers are starting to find out how NICE flying RC can be with a knobby radio, just like you see me using in that photo of me flying with one...and since one HAS to "build their own" single stick radio these days, where NONE have been "on the market" in nearly a dozen years now in the USA, that MicroStar encoder is looking AWFUL ATTRACTIVE to those of us with needs like I have!

Just check the threads here at RCU concerning MicroStar encoders in "knobby" radios, such as http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...776&forumid=27 , http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...822&forumid=27 , http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...264&forumid=59 , and the thread I've posted on the subject, which gives just about ALL the online links one would need to know to actually PURCHASE the components to make one's own knobby radio, at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...053&forumid=70 ...and get a load of the converted ProLine knobby Tx with a MicroStar in it, that "Turbines" has in that thread of mine, starting with post number 21 in that lastly linked thread here!

Single stick RC radios are NOT "dead" by ANY stretch of the imagination...it's just fortunate that those of us who DO need (as I do), or just "prefer", to use them DO have the resources to actually GET the pieces to make them ourselves!

Just wondering...how many individual 13 point TABLES does the Multiplex radio you mentioned have...less than, the same as, or more than, the QUARTET of eleven point tables that the MicroStar has?

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE! )
Old 08-09-2003, 04:42 PM
radray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problem with single stick, I believe Chip Hyde used to fly that mode. I admire anyone that can build there own R/C radio.
The Profi 4000 has 12 - 13 point curves (one for each channel).
Old 08-09-2003, 09:54 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually the Profi 4000 has 136, yes one hundred and thirty six individual 13-point curves!! The curves are not per control or per channel, there is a 13-point curve for every input into every channel. Every channel allows up to 8 control inputs, and there are 12 channels, making a total of 96 curves. Every channel allows 8 times 13-point curves. But overlaid onto the servomixer can be 5 multimixers which again allow 8 inputs each, having up to 13 point curves. Thats another 40 times 13-point curves, making a grand total of 136 13-point curves. I haven't used all of them. Yet.

Harry
Old 08-09-2003, 11:47 PM
radray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry,

You are absolutely correct (as usual). I thought about mentioning all the mixes and all the flight modes, but thought that would be way overkill.

Ray