Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Pulling all ar7000 receivers out of my planes!!!

I have planes flying both AR-7000 and JR 1221 receivers. No trouble with either. One contributing factor is that I tie fishing line, (50# Pro-Line), between the wires at the plugs and around both the Rx and each satellite. No way the plugs can come out. With up to 3 satellite Rxs strung around inside a fuselage, it is easy to loosen a plug while rooting around for something and have it vibrate completely out in flight. I did it once and was lucky to catch it in time. I tie all satellite plugs now. The advantages of multiple signal paths can be outweighed by the additional possible failure points, (2 per satellite), unless you do something to neutralize the failure points.

sp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure it wasnt the plane itself. I had a H-9 27% cap 232 and it was a handful, it lived up to its nickname of the cap snap. Get it to slow either while landing or in a loop, roll, etc and it would stall big time and would take a lot stick movement to get it back. Just a thought.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greg, believe it or not I love the way this plane flies especially in the wind! It has a small wing and yes will stall much quicker than alot of my other planes when slowed down. But the small wing is an advantage in windy conditions and is a *****cat to land, the tail will drop when slowed but the elevator will adjust it very easily. Most of my landings with this plane are with the tail wheel hitting the ground first before the main landing gear. The glitches occurred at 3/4 to full throttle so a stall is easily eliminated. I thought it might be a ground issue with the ignition but the ground strap shows no resistance when tested with my meter! I then eliminated ignition interference as the cause.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

smperry might be onto something. on the 7000's i think part of the problem comes from the battery/power input. all the servo connections are verticle with the reciever flat on the ground. the battery/power is in a horizintal position all buy it self. I found on some recievers with different switches the power lead is looser than other switches. with out the other servo leads next to it to help hold it in that might be a cause of some the crashes. i now use strong thread and tape to hold the power wire in.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why did this new frequency come into existence? Could it be to make the hobby more accessable for the average joe? No more waiting for your pin. No more impound areas and people to staff them. I have never been shoot down on 72mhz but I had my share of close calls due to negilgence of others. RF interference on 72mhz on PPM was always a problem until the introduction of PCM. 2.4ghz is new and problems of a new variant will effect this new frequency. That is the reason Futaba and JR are introducing new types of transmission and reception equipment. It amazes me that at our local flying site all the members with the exception of a few, myself included, have switched to 2.4. In my observation flying multiple aircraft have not increased. The only thing I have noticed is nothing has changed since the advent of this new frequency. I believe the change was driven by the manufactures and no one else. I used to pay upward of $200 USD for a JR PCM 10 channel receiver. Check out the price of a 2.4 receiver, it cost about a third. Another thing, have you noticed the material used in the high end transmitters. It's all plastic, how's that for durability. My JR 10X is made of metal.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kurt,
    This is not a flame, but rafael is right on the money. Think of each satellite receiver as different cameras trying to photograph the same thing, like a football game. They use many cameras so that one will always have a good look at the action. So when your big aluminum engine passes between your transmitter signal and 1 satellite receiver, there is another one, or more, that has a good look at the signal. As far as re-equipping your entire fleet after years of reliable service, you should start looking at thing that attach to it, in particular the switches, connectors, etc. as others have said. I have been using JR since the old MAX6 and have never had any problems.
    As for switching to Futaba, if you see 5 guy at the field, all scratching their heads and thumbing through a manual, the are to trying to program a Futaba.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kurt,
    This is not a flame, but rafael is right on the money. Think of each satellite receiver as different cameras trying to photograph the same thing, like a football game. They use many cameras so that one will always have a good look at the action. So when your big aluminum engine passes between your transmitter signal and 1 satellite receiver, there is another one, or more, that has a good look at the signal. As far as re-equipping your entire fleet after years of reliable service, you should start looking at thing that attach to it, in particular the switches, connectors, etc. as others have said. I have been using JR since the old MAX6 and have never had any problems.
    As for switching to Futaba, if you see 5 guy at the field, all scratching their heads and thumbing through a manual, the are to trying to program a Futaba.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I for one am not a fan of the AR7000 receiver. I've had mine lose bind right after it bound fine seconds earlier. Checked it over and nothing was loose, everything checked ok. Even the satelite receiver locked on but the AR7000 just kept blinking. I can't trust it so I won't use it. I had it mounted in my .46 size Revolver with an OS 55AX engine in it. The last thing I want is that plane losing it in a high speed pass. I feel safer with an OrangeRX receiver with the satelite receiver attached. Have never had a bind issue but I'm a bit worried regarding range. Everyone I know that uses them, swears by them, not at them as I have my AR7000.
    J F Sohm - AMA# 192350 - IMAA# 15145
    If you're not catching any flak, you're not over the target.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Sohm

I for one am not a fan of the AR7000 receiver. I've had mine lose bind right after it bound fine seconds earlier. Checked it over and nothing was loose, everything checked ok. Even the satelite receiver locked on but the AR7000 just kept blinking. I can't trust it so I won't use it. I had it mounted in my .46 size Revolver with an OS 55AX engine in it. The last thing I want is that plane losing it in a high speed pass. I feel safer with an OrangeRX receiver with the satelite receiver attached. Have never had a bind issue but I'm a bit worried regarding range. Everyone I know that uses them, swears by them, not at them as I have my AR7000.
    I have two JR XP9303 transmitters. One has the Spektrum 2.4Ghz RF Module. I have been flying a 29% Aeroworks Katana with an AXI 5330 motor on 10S 5000mah cells. Not even a hint of a glitch or unusual event and I fly several times per week. I attend various model meets in New York State, Pa, and Canada, without incident. I also have numerous AR6100 Rx's, two AR9000 Rx's, and one JR921 Rx. We just do not have issues with this type of equipment and there are many more in my RC club that fly the same equipment, even at the NEAT Fair and Joe Nall.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your problem is DSM2, you can put 50 satellite receivers on it, same problem. DSM2 is DEAD, see DSMX, at least JR and Spektrum figured that out finally...

Just remember..."If it ain't hoppin'...it's a droppin'" frames that is..!!! All manufactures including DSMJ, DSMX, and every other full range 2.4 GHz systems are frequency agile i.e. "Hopping" systems. DSM2 is done and will fall by the wayside along with 27 MHz AM band. Watch for a DSM2 ban at Joe Nall within a few years.

Just a stirrin' tha' pot..!!
    \"I ran out of ideas and altitude at the same time...\"

\"The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves..!!!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You mean X > 2, and what exactly is X :-) ?
    Where facts are few, experts are many.
    Perfection is God\'\'\'\'s business.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3,4,5,6,7,8....to infinity. I like easy ones.
    Joe AP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use AR7000's in my 60 and 40 size planes. I also am using 6 volt flight packs, 2700MAH. Never had a problem, I do not use 4.8 volt packs ever.
    On my more expensive planes I use 921 RX's with two Sat"s, dual batteries and duel switches. I think you can have a problem with any RX or any transmitter. There is no failsafe radio.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got back from flying my 36% katana with a jr r922 powersafe receiver in it. I noticed two things different then last Saturdays nightmare with my cap 232. I had complete control of the plane every second even every fraction of a second! I also felt that I had MUCH tighter control of the sticks as compared to the steering of an automobile that is new compared to an older one that has very loose and worn out steering, I don't think this is just a figment of my imagination, but could be. I have the cap and the katana on two different transmitters both being dx7's with the katana on the newer one. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it is a transmitter issue. I hate an intermittent bug especially if you don't know for sure what it is! I will now program all my planes into the newer transmitter and eliminate the possibility of the older dx7 as the problem. I have bought one new ar9000 receiver, two used ar9000's and one used r921 jr and will go ahead with replacing the ar7000's. The way I look at it is the ar7000 is good, the ar9000 and jr r921 are better, but the cat's meow or top shelf among the jr/spektrum receiver line up are the jr r922 and r1222 powersafe or the spektrum ar9100 powersafe. I like that the switch fails on feature and dual battery setup that pulls power from the stronger battery. My 20-50cc planes will now have ar9000's or r921's and anything above 50cc will have(already do) top shelf receivers in them. I hope my changes are improvements and I will not have to make the walk of shame in the near future to pick up pieces of a downed bird and if I do I hope its not mine...LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You did know that the 7000 binds at 1024 and the 922 runs at 2048?
    Check out the specs.
    Libby is still watching you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does that mean the response is twice as fast to a stick movement??? If it is I can definitely tell the difference!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38143.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	1573804  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rmh,
    I just read up on the difference between 1024=ar7000 vs 2048=ar9000, r921 and up but thought you had to have a 2048 dx7 transmitter, the se version I think, to tell a difference. I feel I'm connected to my three planes that have 2048 res receivers in them compared to the ones with 1024 res receivers, I just thought it was because they were bigger and I can see them better. One guy said the difference is like taking a bunch of expo out! The mystery is solved, thanks!!! I also read that one of the major drawbacks to the aurora 9 radio is it is only 1024.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I presumed you were using a 9 ch or up tx The std 7dx will do all resolutions at 1024
    I should have mentioned that!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

DSM2 has been discontinued due to issues, replaced by DSMX. DX7's also going by the wayside, see Horizon Hobbies announcement...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10377865

http://forum.rc-airplane-world.com/v...hp?f=32&t=2282

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10.../anchor/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rmh,
    Thanks for the information, I still feel more connected to the plane with a 2048 res receiver using 1024 dx7 transmitter but that is what I thought, I will have to look into a new transmitter when they come back into stock. I sure would like to procure a 9503 with dsmx soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

DSM2 has been discontinued due to issues, replaced by DSMX. DX7's also going by the wayside, see Horizon Hobbies announcement...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10377865

http://forum.rc-airplane-world.com/v...hp?f=32&t=2282

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10.../anchor/tm.htm
    Not so-DSMX has been added and includes DSM2 in tx
    DX7 is being discontinued -it simply has been superceeded

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

True, the new DSMX transmitters have a DSM2 Mode for some backward capability, BUT the DSMX receivers only operate with DSMX from what I know...

DSM2 did experience problems at Joe Nall, and some 2.4 FPV cameras can take it out, http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dsm2flaw.shtml

I had a DX7 flew it about 20 flights, it worked fine. I sold it a got a Hitec Aurora 9 for added features like 5.1" backlit touchscreen, throw the manual away programming, AFHSS connectivity and the Telemetry and I really like it. I have the voice announce module coming in where the transmitter verbally tells you your Airspeed, Altitude, Onboard Voltage, RPM, Fuel Level, Temperatures, etc...The most sophisticated rig on the market with an excellent price point and customer service, IMHO but it is just my opinion. But what do I know I just work for NASA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

True, the new DSMX transmitters have a DSM2 Mode for some backward capability, BUT the DSMX receivers only operate with DSMX from what I know...
    Nope, totally wrong. The AR600, AR6255, and AR8000 receivers have been out for months. These have been DSMX receivers all along. Customers have been flying them for months on DSM2. If you have a DX8, simply upgrading to version 2.01 and rebinding will begin DSMX operation. And you can always rebind them in DSM2 mode if you like. No problem at all.

I have the voice announce module coming in where the transmitter verbally tells you your Airspeed, Altitude, Onboard Voltage, RPM, Fuel Level, Temperatures, etc...The most sophisticated rig on the market with an excellent price point and customer service, IMHO but it is just my opinion. But what do I know I just work for NASA.
    You would really have liked having the Spektrum iPhone/iPod/iPad telemetry module then. No need to be bound to the transmitter, it would provide all the information on your phone, along with all the fancy capabilities of the Apple system.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063
    Spektrum Development Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You would really have liked having the Spektrum iPhone/iPod/iPad telemetry module then. No need to be bound to the transmitter, it would provide all the information on your phone, along with all the fancy capabilities of the Apple system.

Andy, I thought you were kidding then googled it. I have never heard of this before. Am I the only one that does not know about this? This is teriffic!

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyallday

Andy, I thought you were kidding then googled it. *I have never heard of this before. *Am I the only one that does not know about this? *This is teriffic!
    Dang it Andy!! Remember when EVERYONE on RCU agreed to never let FlyAllDay know about the Spek/IPhone telemetry app!?!?!?!?
    Maybe I should just take rubbing alcohol with me to the field and rub the props down before starting any of my planes!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast