Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

digital servo noobie

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:36 PM
willisdeez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital servo noobie

I know digital servos are faster than analog but do I need to program them? Can i use them them as if they were normal analog servos. I read somewhere that you shouldn't plug them into a BEC receiver. Is that true? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:25 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

There is no need to program digital servos. They are plug and play. BUT you can program them if needed. I have digi's on my Extra and did not need to program them.

As far as the BEC RX, I'll have to leave that to someone else. ??
Old 08-08-2003, 10:53 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

As a result of the heavy current loads imposed by digital servos (especially if they have coreless motors) in some instances voltage can drop below the voltage needed by the receiver to do its job. This can result in glitching and in some cases, loss of control. Some folks only run signal to the servo from the receiver, and power the servos from a separate battery. This can help, but it also adds some weight and complexity.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:28 PM
willisdeez

Do you need a special kind of receiver for the digital servos? I'm looking at a JR XR3.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:30 AM
Ed

Originally posted by MHawker
There is no need to program digital servos. They are plug and play. BUT you can program them if needed.
I'm looking at Hitec's 5475 HB's. Are you saying that I can use them right out of the box ?

What advantages do digitals offer ?

What advantage does the $ 155. programer offer ?
Old 08-09-2003, 02:43 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I have 5625's (or is it 5925's) and 5945's or vice versa and yes, you can use them just like any other servo right out of the box. That's exactly what I did on my 25% Extra.

The programmer is used for upgrading software or firmware or whatever and for things like ganging servos. If you have 3 servos controlling one surface, the programmer will allow you to fine tune them so they center and move EXACTLY the same. You can do this with linkages but the programmer gives you this flexibility.

I can't say I notice any difference flying digitals. I'm sure certain types and levels of pilots would be able to tell. I just like the fact that they are fast and strong. PLUS they're digital... they HAVE to be better!