Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 8FG & DX8....Question UPDATE!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 8FG & DX8....Question UPDATE!

I am looking to buy the DX8 orFtuaba 8FG but have a question for anyone that owns one and uses this feature. (Flap servo slow down)I would like to be able to slow down my flaps on a Corsair. Will the 8FG allow me to do that? and how to you set it up?How much can you slow it down?like1-10 seconds for full deploy.I have heard the DX8has that feature.Also does it have any other servo slow down features? What radio works best for servo slow down?

Thanks!

UPDATE 3/23/2011 - I FINALLY bought the DX8, and all I can say is WOW!What an unbelievable awesomeradio. Ibought me a Blade mCX2 so I could mess around with the DX8 in the house. It binded right to it, and had no problems binding it to my Radian either. ILOVEthe feel of the DX8, and the silky smooth gimbles, and therubber grips. After flying with the DX8it makesmy JR6102 feel like a little toy.The size of theDX8 is perfect for me. Not to mention theprogramming is so simple!Ihaven't pulled anything else out of the box yet to put in my Corsair, but I'm sure it will be awesome.Ican't wait to see the flap servo slow down feature work.

I had to order it from my hobby shop, and it took about2-3 weeks for it to come in. But,It came with the DSMX alreadyon it with the 2.01firmware. So I believe I don't need to update it at all. Ireally like the fact you candownload aircraft settings off the Spektrum website, along with future updates. Ilike it all the way around!

Thanks for everyones input. Next I am goingto flymy Radian, and thenIwill put up a post/reviewafter I fly my nitroCorsair with it.

Time for me to buy some BNF planes now.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 8FG & DX8....Question UPDATE!

The 9303/9503 has that feature. I use it for my H9 P47-150.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM
flyallday

Just used my DX8 for the first time this weekend. The servo speed control works great and is easy to adjust. Makes the flaps very scale like. I set mine on 2 seconds. I really like my new radio and it binded flawlessly to both existing DSM2 and DSMX . What other functions are you asking about?

Harry
Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Rick,

The DX8 has two separate slow-down functions.

1) There is a servo slow function available for every channel. You can adjust the speed for end-to-end travel from instantaneous up to about 30 seconds.

2) The flap system has a slow function which only applies to flap travel, but mixes flap position into elevator compensation at the same speed. For instance, you can set all your servos to full speed (default, normal operation), then set up a flap system where the flaps are set for a 5-second transition to a set point, with a target elevator compensation. When you flip the switch, as the flaps slowly move to the new position, the elevator moves just as slowly to its setpoint so that flaps and elevator arrive at the end at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 AM
flyallday

Thanks Andy, just learned something new. By the way, the markings for the sticks dont match full or minimum (the increment markings) and I am assuming that is set up that way on purpose?

Harry
Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM
RickShane

Andy answered my question on the DX8. Now, will the 8FG do this? I really like the fact you can slow down every channel on the DX8!

Hey Andy, When will the new DX8's be hitting the hobby shops in Utah?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Glancing thru the manual for the FG8 shows nothing about ajustable servo speed, however I did watch the video and I know that programmable servo speed is a feature that s-bus enables for the radio. Very simple to do with the DX8 though.

Andy, point #2 with the flap system on the dx8 is very neat. I don't think my 10X does this, I think it would drop the flaps slowly while giving elevator compensation at full speed. now I have something to go check!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM
AndyKunz

Rick,

Time to call your shop and have them ask their account rep. There's no reason you can't get a DX8 there right now that I know of.

Andy
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 AM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: flyallday

Thanks Andy, just learned something new. By the way, the markings for the sticks dont match full or minimum (the increment markings) and I am assuming that is set up that way on purpose?

Harry
I don't understand your question, Harry. The white tick marks are only for rough reference and are not intended to be absolute references.

Andy
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
flyallday

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Andy, here is what I mean. This is as far as the throws will go.

Harry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17549.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1579139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59693.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1579140  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
AndyKunz

Ah. That's due to the throttle wedges. They're a high-end radio feature.

You can read about them in the manual section (about page 39?) where it tells you what to do to change from Mode 2 to Mode 1.

Andy
Old 03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
flyallday

Ah ha, I did read that but didnt pay much attention to that section. Thanks!

Harry
Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Bladecpnitro

I have been wondering the same thing. JR 9503, Spectrum DX- 8 or Futaba 8FG. Right now I'm leaning towards the DX -8 but still am undecided. I'm about 3 months into this Hobby so I'm trying to learn everything I can. I understand the DX 8 will give you engine Temp and RPM readout and a vibration or horn warning if something is malfunctioning, handy for Nitro flyers which is what I eventually want to get. Also has an SD card slot to store your model setups or you can download presets from the web and intall them in the DX 8. For instance you could download a Trex 700 setup and install it and fly your Trex 700 without all the setup time. Pretty cool.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

I've been flying since 1992 and started out with nitro .40 size airplanes and have worked my way up to now fly only giant scale 35% aerobatic gas airplanes. Recently I've decided to
change to 2.4G radio (sold my trusty XP9303). The radio I've decided on is the Futab T8FG (I don't have it yet, I've ordered it from the local hobby shop and it should be in on Saturday)

Since I don't have it yet i cannot comment on it, but in making my decision, telemetry was the least important. You don't have a lot of time to look down at your radio while flying and if you keep
your engine well tuned and load check the batteries between each flight, there is very little that telemetry is going to do for you other than having some bragging rights.

If you have a local hobby shop, go hold some of the radios, compare features that you need and may need in the future. To me how a radio feels in my hands is much more important than telemetry. There
are rumours floating around RCU and FG that the T8FG will get telemetry with the next firmware upgrade (whether it's true or not????)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 AM
RickShane

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

I've been flying since 1992 and started out with nitro .40 size airplanes and have worked my way up to now fly only giant scale 35% aerobatic gas airplanes. Recently I've decided to
change to 2.4G radio (sold my trusty XP9303). The radio I've decided on is the Futab T8FG (I don't have it yet, I've ordered it from the local hobby shop and it should be in on Saturday)

Since I don't have it yet i cannot comment on it, but in making my decision, telemetry was the least important. You don't have a lot of time to look down at your radio while flying and if you keep
your engine well tuned and load check the batteries between each flight, there is very little that telemetry is going to do for you other than having some bragging rights.

If you have a local hobby shop, go hold some of the radios, compare features that you need and may need in the future. To me how a radio feels in my hands is much more important than telemetry. There
are rumours floating around RCU and FG that the T8FG will get telemetry with the next firmware upgrade (whether it's true or not????)

Iwas all set to buy the DX7, then found out they stopped selling it. That's what made me look at the 8FG. Ihave gone to the hobby shops and none of them carry Futaba radios, it's all JR or Spektrum. So the only way for me to holdthe 8FGis to buy one. Either way Iwould still need a Spektrum radio for any BNF's Iget.

Telemetry is NOTthat big of a deal to me, because I check my RXbatteries between every flight. If I don't like the DX8 then I'll get the 8FG. But both radios will do more than I will ever use. Ihave 3 nitro planes and a Radian. The plane that uses the most channels is my Top FlightCorsair with 6 channels. The other two are 4 channel, and the radian is 3 channels. One of the things Ilike about the DX8 is the BNF. In the future I plan to getme a fewpark flyers. With the Futaba I would have to buy a RX for each park flyer I get. However, I still need to get new RX's for my other 2 nitro planes so Ican use the DX8. (What full range RX's should I buy for them?)I would like to have everything on one radio.

Everything Ihave is JR FM, the DX8 will fit with everything, like abuddy box, voltmeter, etc.I am so sick of thinking about this, I've been going back and forth with the DX8 & 8FG for about a month. If Ibuy the8FG Iwould still be using myDX5e for the Radian.So I'll just get the one that makes the most sense for my use and go from there. My hobby shop called and said they should be getting a few DX8's in Friday.

Now aquestion....Is there anything that will block the signal in my Corsair like retracts, engine noise, servos, retract valve,metal pushrods,etc? (There's NOcarbon fiber in the plane)Iwould have to mount the RX behind my fuel tankwhere the servos are andwhere the wing fits onto the plane. Also Iwould have to wrap it in foam. Will any of that cause me problems? How do Spektrum RX'shold upin nitro planes?

Here's a video that shows you kinda what I'm talking about, Iwould do a new video but I'm at work....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeLk471EBEU[/youtube]
Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scale builders -often opt for appearance first and practicality second.
The 8000rx will work fine in your model
However: never bury the rx in the model ,especially next to the fuel tank and piles of wires etc..
If it were mine I would place the main rx aft the wing in the belly with a nice access hatch underneath
extend servo wires as req'd and then place the aux rx right behind the headrest
using sticky velcro.
ANY 2.4 rx has to be able to "see" the incoming signal -the Futaba is no exception. They use long antenna extensions - SPEKTRUM uses an aux rx - and the extended antenna on th e 600 rx
Your power switch can be a pull push wire - located in same general area as the rx next to wing root.
Be really careful about extensions!!! the cheap Chinese ones are inferior to the gold JR types
Ifpossible always opt for well soldered extensions of servo/power leads
The connectors are the weak link on all brands. use as few as possible
Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 AM
flyallday

I would just like to chime in here. I just used my DX8 for the first time this past weekend and very much liked my new TX. The feel of the TX in my hands is very comfortable and the rubber grips are are great. As far as the telemery goes - I fly all electric and for me, knowing how much power I have is the best thing since sliced bread. You dont have to look down if you reach a low battery - the audible and vibe alarms tell you to get out of the sky. I cant wait till the alt and speed sensors are available. In my opinion, telemetry is not a gaget - just newer technology. What did we do before cell phones, gps in our cars .... Pick what you feel is best for you but I highly recommend the DX8.

Harry
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 AM
RickShane

ORIGINAL: rmh

scale builders -often opt for appearance first and practicality second.
The 8000rx will work fine in your model
However: never bury the rx in the model ,especially next to the fuel tank and piles of wires etc..
If it were mine I would place the main rx aft the wing in the belly with a nice access hatch underneath
extend servo wires as req'd and then place the aux rx right behind the headrest
using sticky velcro.
ANY 2.4 rx has to be able to "see" the incoming signal -the Futaba is no exception. They use long antenna extensions - SPEKTRUM uses an aux rx - and the extended antenna on th e 600 rx
Your power switch can be a pull push wire - located in same general area as the rx next to wing root.
Be really careful about extensions!!! the cheap Chinese ones are inferior to the gold JR types
Ifpossible always opt for well soldered extensions of servo/power leads
The connectors are the weak link on all brands. use as few as possible

One problem mounting the RX aft the wing in the belly. That's where Ihave my air tank. Will the TX be able to send the signal through the bottom on the wing into where the servos are? If so, I can just mount it there. (see wheremyFMRX is? It's on the bottom of the fuel tank)Here's a few photos. Where's the best place to mount the DX8 RX? Icould mount the 2nd satellite rx to the inside wall.

Name:	Mk24922.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1580018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41397.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1580019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76228.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1580020  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM
RickShane

ORIGINAL: flyallday

I cant wait till the alt and speed sensors are available.Pick what you feel is best for you but I highly recommend the DX8.

Harry
Are you kidding? Are they going to come out with Alt and speed for the DX8? That would be AWESOME. That right there would seal the deal for me on the DX8
Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
flyallday

It already appears on the telemetry screen but the hardware is not available yet. Should be very soon from what I have read. SO COOL!

Harry
Old 03-17-2011, 01:24 PM
rmh

There is also an APP being done for I Fone - which displays/announces info from Telemetry- really-
Anyway - back to the rx mounting
My take:
Stick airtank up front where rx now is located and put rx aft TE of wing -then reach in and stick aux rc behind headrest.
The idea is to move rx's away from any potential blocking.
Further - get a set of A123 batts (one pack) and use them to prevent any battery problems
Others claim to be as good
N-F- W
I have done countless air system setups really they were common on our pattern planes and scale aerobatic planes,
here is one using the Spring Aire - my favorite- on my Dalotel powered by a ZDZ60

Name:	Ax72748.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1580119  
Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 PM
RickShane

There's no way for me to get the air tank out because it's built in between formars and glued in. (Otherwise it would spin and kink theline)I would have to rip the plane apart, and break things out to get the air tank out.It's the way the plans called for it to be built, not my idea. So it can't go aft wing. Any other ideas? I'm going to take into Pat at Some Dudes Hobbiesand have him tell me where the best place to put it is. Italked to him about it today and it don't sound like it's going to be a big deal. It'll work one way or another.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

I have done countless air system setups really they were common on our pattern planes and scale aerobatic planes,
here is one using the Spring Aire - my favorite- on my Dalotel powered by a ZDZ60
Isn't that the one you showed the build of in a 3D flyer artical?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

The dx 8 has a much better feel in your hands. The Futaba feels like a plastic toy. That was my opinion when I picked up the 8 at the shop. Glad I have my DX8, love it.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:48 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

Isn't that the one you showed the build of in a 3D flyer artical?
No that was a smaller one - for 1.4 st on tuned pipe

Name:	Ec88615.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1580149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46093.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1580150  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.