Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DSMX, Horizon, and JR

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DSMX, Horizon, and JR

ORIGINAL: mwhar760

my story is that i bought a new jr 9303 paid 6 bills for it then a month later the 9503 came out at an even cheaper price??? then they want to change over to dsmx???? at the time i only had 2 9 ch.recievers in 2 of my 50cc planes with all the sattellites, with horizon wanting another $75 to upgrade and if i wanted the receivers to work with dsmx( hopping) i would have to buy new receivers i felt that that was too much!!! and i sold the 9303 and went with the hitec aurora 9 got the radio with 3 receivers,and the and the pc programmer for around $600 and sent the upc code and receipt copy and got a 7 ch. receiver for free!!!! my problem solved!!!!!
Hah, I sold my DX-7 with 5 receivers last year, and bought an Aurora 9 with six receivers and made $20.00..!!! IMHO, the Hitec Aurora 9 blows all of the competition away at a steal of a price. I just installed the GPS module, Optical Tach, fuel level and temp sensors in my bird, hopefully ready for this weekend!

I love the A9 and don't miss Spektrum at all, Oh BTW the voice announing module is backordered but due in soon.

One final question, can a JR 12x, or JR anything as well as Futaba 14MZ "talk" to you while your flying, telling you your speed, altitude, rpm, fuel level, temperature, airborne battery voltage, etc...??? I didn't think so.

If it ain't Hitec, it's Low Tech......
Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to demean the A9 as it is definitely good bang for the buck, but can any Hitec receiver send Telemetry to an iPhone? DX8 and I can't wait!!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

while that may be cool, when I'm flying, I usually have the TX in my hands, and not my phone..
Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

while that may be cool, when I'm flying, I usually have the TX in my hands, and not my phone..
I was just joking. I use a Talking Timer when I fly because I like to hear how much time I have left. I can appreciate having the Telemetry data spoken aloud, as well.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I figured you were..
Old 03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: mwhar760

my story is that i bought a new jr 9303 paid 6 bills for it then a month later the 9503 came out at an even cheaper price??? then they want to change over to dsmx???? at the time i only had 2 9 ch.recievers in 2 of my 50cc planes with all the sattellites, with horizon wanting another $75 to upgrade and if i wanted the receivers to work with dsmx( hopping) i would have to buy new receivers i felt that that was too much!!! and i sold the 9303 and went with the hitec aurora 9 got the radio with 3 receivers,and the and the pc programmer for around $600 and sent the upc code and receipt copy and got a 7 ch. receiver for free!!!! my problem solved!!!!!
I feel your pain. I purchased a new 9503 on Dec. 30, 2010. According to the website, I can get a free upgrade to DSMX for my transmitter but I sent a note to see if there was any chance of trading in the 921 receiver for a new dsmx type 9 channel and received a rather nebulous answer to it. So I replied with a specific request and received the answer that the dsm2 921 was perfectly fine and if I wanted a dsmx 9 channel, I would have to purchase it separately. This all within just weeks of announcing the dsmx protocol. I don't know about you, but to me that's pretty poor customer relations there. I'm not impressed at all with Horizon at this point but I do like the new DX8 as two friends of mine own them.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

so far, i really like the A9 hitec and like i said $80.00 for a 9 ch. receiver sure beats the almost $200.00 from spectrun or jr by the time you add the sattellites!!! i really feel that they should replace the receivers for the radios that were purchased within their time line that is stated on their website!!! very poor on their part i will have to agree with you!!!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:47 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

bought a A9 really like it free receiver to, have Jr and futaba thinking about selling them 12FG and 9303 9 ch.Going to get a second A9
Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 AM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

i've never heard anything bad about the A-9 on here or any where else!!! just bought a 100cc pitts and gonna set it up in it!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber Not to demean the A9 as it is definitely good bang for the buck, but can any Hitec receiver send Telemetry to an iPhone? DX8 and I can't wait!!
Already Hacked for the DIY'r who can not wait for the "factory" units.
"I too, had thought of both the voice command and the voice readout, for instance, I thought it would be cool if you could say "Voltage" and it responded with the Volts. Of if the pack seemed to be getting low, it would vibrate your phone and say "Pack voltage low" etc.
I think we will have a map display of the phone location and the aircraft location pretty quick, from what I can tell it is pretty easy to put layers on the map.
I think we could only send out telemetry to alot of people using the wireless link, the bluetooth serial port is bi directional so the connection is 1 to 1 only. There may be other Bluetooth profiles that do other things, but i do not knwo about them."

Alan T.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 PM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: BelAirBob

Still strange that the Spektrum website has the DX7 as does the HH website showing out of stock.....if it is indeed discontinued, we probably have a new radio to look forward to......

bob
YES the DX7 IS 100% for sure discontinued!! Iwas all set to buy a DX7 and heard it was discontinued. So, I called andtalked to Horizonmyself and asked them.There answer was "Yes we havediscontinued the DX7, and haven't heard if there will be a newradio to replace it."There's no word at all that Spektrum will be out with a new radio to fill in the gap between the DX6i & the DX8.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: RickShane

YES the DX7 IS 100% for sure discontinued!! I was all set to buy a DX7 and heard it was discontinued. So, I called and talked to Horizon myself and asked them. There answer was ''Yes we have discontinued the DX7, and haven't heard if there will be a new radio to replace it.'' There's no word at all that Spektrum will be out with a new radio to fill in the gap between the DX6i & the DX8.
That's a bummer! I was actually thinking about buying a DX7 for bind-and-fly stuff. I normally fly Airtronics 2.4Ghz radio equipment, but I don't want to settle for park flyer-type toy radios to fly the Parkzone stuff.

I'm still crossing my fingers that that the XG7 might be heading to North America. It's just too bad that the trainer switch is in the same awful location that it was on the DX7...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

A question on the DX8
The presently sold Transmitter says DSM2, as does the receiver, and the satelite receiver. I understand you can download the upgrade to DSM-X and then change the face plate on the transmitter. The faceplate is cheap, and fits aroung the screan. The receiver, i am told is DSM-X already. With the newer sold models. The satelite says, and apparently is DSM2.
Now is it true that the satelite receivers are not interchangeable between DSM2 and DSM-X? So what happens when the satelites are mixed, because i believe some of these satelites have been mislabled? And have been mixing with DSM2 if they are really DSMX and labeled as DSM2.
When i went through this line of questions at HH, i could not get a good answer. Was told the DX8 has been DSM-X all along. Another version is it is ready and needs a download. Satellite?? no one knows. Reciever DSM-X as long as the 8000 reciever has been produced.

The DSMX badged DX8 is simply not available presently. And its in the middle of the Tsunami crisis i believe. Will we see anything come off the production line for a while?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My new DX8 straight from HH had th e DSM2 faceplar - The electronics had the latest update -
When current assembled radio supply is exhausted, the new faceplate will likely be the std.
The rx satellites, just read the code on the back -don't mix em.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

That s exactly my point. The reciever says DSM2 and the satelite says DSM2, but the reciever is supposedly DSMX, and the satelite is ???
Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
rmh

Ifreally in doubt -go to HH site and look at presently available rx's which have X satellites
at the moment - just the 8000 and they are x rx (unless others have arrived!)
Remeber the DSMX /DSM2 setups are compatible with any DSMX/DSM2 tx
so look at backside of rx s- it tells you.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: indubitably

A question on the DX8
The presently sold Transmitter says DSM2, as does the receiver, and the satelite receiver. I understand you can download the upgrade to DSM-X and then change the face plate on the transmitter. The faceplate is cheap, and fits aroung the screan. The receiver, i am told is DSM-X already. With the newer sold models. The satelite says, and apparently is DSM2.
Now is it true that the satelite receivers are not interchangeable between DSM2 and DSM-X? So what happens when the satelites are mixed, because i believe some of these satelites have been mislabled? And have been mixing with DSM2 if they are really DSMX and labeled as DSM2.
If you turn on the transmitter while holding down the roller, it's very easy to tell if it's DSMX/DSM2 or DSM2-only. Go to the Frame Rate screen. If it gives you an option for DSM2 or DSMX, then it's the newer version of code. The hardware inside is the same. Another option is to go to the Serial Number screen (it's on the System Settings, then NEXT twice). Version 2 and higher enable DSMX.

As for DSM2 and DSMX remote receivers being interchangeable, the answer is "maybe." There are certain combinations that work. However, we were not encouraged to do that. The official word is keep DSM2 remotes with DSM2 bases and DSMX remotes with DSMX bases.

We were told when we started testing this stuff last year NOT to mix-and-match. We even have different part numbers for them (SPM9545 vs. SPM9645).

On the back of the remote that came with your AR8000 you will see a little white tag with an X on it. That tells you it's DSMX (SPM9645).

When i went through this line of questions at HH, i could not get a good answer. Was told the DX8 has been DSM-X all along. Another version is it is ready and needs a download. Satellite?? no one knows. Reciever DSM-X as long as the 8000 reciever has been produced.
The AR8000 has always had DSMX capability. You just didn't have a DSMX-enabled transmitter to activate it. The AR600 and AR6255 are also DSMX-capable from day 1.

The DSMX badged DX8 is simply not available presently. And its in the middle of the Tsunami crisis i believe. Will we see anything come off the production line for a while?
I was under the impression that HorizonHobby.com is selling them with the DSMX logo on the front. Even if not labeled that way, they are updating the radios to version 2.01 code which enables DSMX.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
rmh

Guy's new one -last week- had original faceplate and 2.01
It is registered -so ser#-is available at Spektrum site
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

I was under the impression that HorizonHobby.com is selling them with the DSMX logo on the front. Even if not labeled that way, they are updating the radios to version 2.01 code which enables DSMX.

Hope this helps.

Andy
No new face plates yet from what I've seen posted around the forums. I got a new one about 10 days ago and it came with the old face plate, the new firmware, the satellite with the white label on the rear rather than the new X case and it was direct from Horizon.

Not complaining, just a heads up for those who might be curious.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 AM
rmh

I fixed mine with a Magic Marker!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmh

I fixed mine with a Magic Marker!
lol.... your age is showing Dick, they call 'em "Sharpies" now....
Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 AM
rmh

nope- mine says "magic marker"
Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 AM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: rmh

nope- mine says ''magic marker''

Damn !!

Mine must be a mute. I've even held my ear right on it and it isn't even whispering !

Then again I could join the uninformed masses and blame it all on DSM2 .[X(]
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM
rmh

remove the cap and rub the black end in your ear-then you will hear the magic.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
onewasp

Friends, Roman's countrymen lend me YOUR ear- [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.