Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

XQ Power servos, BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM
jimwrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XQ Power servos, BEWARE

Well I bit the bullet and decided to try the new XQ Power servos. So I bought six XQ-S4020D servos from SDS Hobbies out of china. Digital High torque, ball bearing, titanium gears and able to take A123's (7.2v only not 7.4 from 2s lipo's). When they arrived a buddy and I sat down and cycled each one through on a servo cycler. First impressions were OK. They all worked fine. One was real spongy at one end of travel and would bounce back. I removed the tops on all the servos which kinda opened a can of worms. One servo was completely missing the upper output shaft bearing. OOPS! Then found 2 servos had plastic pcs from the servo top broken off in the gear train. (hence the spongy feeling we were getting). The pcs were the mechanical stops built into the tops so the that the output gear doesn't run int the other gears. After a bit of looking I happened to notice that those same two with broken pcs inside, had different colored gears then the other 4 and the grease was already turning black. The were never coated with Titanium, or what ever the are calling it, and are just aluminum. (yea those servos gears wont last long) they are pretty soft and would scratch/cut and wear easily. The other four have a darker grayish blue appearance and that coating (and it is a coating right over aluminum, the best I can tell) is pretty hard but I could cut through it and see the aluminum under it. Maybe this is how other companys do their Titanium gears as well! I'm sure that it will resist wear just fine and plan on putting them in something to try them out. Heck their mine now! Not worth trying to send them back.
As for performance, the servos seemed very strong and fast on 6v and centered well, but had no way to test strength, speed or dead band. They are very nice looking and seem to imitate another well known brand name. I did notice that 2 servos tend to rub gears at the farthest travel, but I don't believe the servo goes that far under normal use. My buddy is flying some of the other cheaper XQ Power steel gear servos in a 50cc profile and says the work great. He did have one burn up right away when installed however. He flies giant scale stuff with mostly Hitech servo's.

Side Note: These servos are very simple, meaning they are not programmable.

Now when I first found the missing bearing I immediately contacted SDS Hobbies, and their reply to me in broken English was "can you just fix servo this time" and that they had contacted XQ Power about the problem. Not quite the reply I was expecting! However I do want to mention that everything I had ordered from SDS Hobbies was very nice and worth the money, but if you buy from China don't expect great and prompt service. (Gotta remember they were cheap in price!) I then sent a very well spelled out email to every email address listed on XQ Powers web site and a day later got a reply that they didn't understand and could I tell them what was wrong. So I sent it back translated in simplified Chinese with another response that I would fix 4 of them just send me 2 new ones please. Their reply, again in very broken English, that they would send me 2 new servos but would not pay the freight, so put some money in account and they would send them. What account!!!! So I am now awaiting a return reply from them.

To be continued; Jim
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: XQ Power servos, BEWARE

Just be sure to run right out and buy some more "bargains" from China. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Les
Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

I did a review on the XQ-Power 4020D servos you can find it here...http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=62757(fill in the stars with Flying G!@nt$)
Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble! Thats the thing about not having a U.S distributor to handle the over seas companies.
If they would just tighten up there QC a bit more things would go a lot smoother for these small companies. The 4020's seem to be good servos on the ground, I have not got around to flying mine yet because of the weather.
Gear play is present, but not a ton, at 27 bucks a pop your not going to get 7955's though! LOL.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:44 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

Just be sure to run right out and buy some more ''bargains'' from China. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Les
LOL! I avoid anything made in China like the plague; I rather do without or pay more for an American made product than send my money to the evil empire.

In some cases there is no other source other than Asia and in those cases it is best to stay with the major non-Chinese manufacturers like Futaba, etc. and buy though Tower or one of the other major distributers. If you buy something at Tower and it does not work as expected you can send it back and get your money back. Also if you buy an Asia made product through a company like Tower at least an American worker is getting paid to fulfill your order.

Futaba radio stuff is made in Taiwan. Taiwan is not part of the People’s Republic of China, is an independent nation and unlike China the people of Taiwan are free.

I find it interesting when people buy Chinese junk and then complain that it is junk!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
jimwrc

I totally agree that you get what you pay for. I knew what I was getting into and am not upset at all. This was just a test for us to see if they were any good. I do intend to fly them. I also agree that if they would just tighten up there QA a little they would have a great product, I think! By no means did I post this to complain, but to educate anyone interested in or about to buy these servos. I have been using $3.50 micro servos from Hobby King in my indoor foamies and have never once had a single problem with the 2 dozen or so servos that I've bought from them. So I am open minded enough to try new products like these from time to time. In these times money is tight for a lot of us and we still want to get out and enjoy this hobby. China in some respects has made this a little easier. My attitude when I bought these, like other Chinese products, is that if it doesn't work, one I didn't pay a lot for it, and two there not just gonna send me a replacement or warranty it due to mostly shipping costs. Keep that in minds and you'll be fine.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
T3beatz

+1 Jimwrc,

If this company had a U.S. distributor things would be a ton better for them, forcing them to step there QC up and making them a better company.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"If this company had a U.S. distributor things would be a ton better for them, forcing them to step there QC up and making them a better company."

Maybe that is why they don't have a US distributor.

Les
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM
T3beatz

"If this company had a U.S. distributor things would be a ton better for them, forcing them to step there QC up and making them a better company."

Les
I doubt thats the reason, they are a fairly new company once a few guys catch on to there servos someone will pick them up. The same thing happened with Power HD, now those servos are all over the place. When they first came out they were not producing the best servos either. Now that there are several U.S. retail sellers that offer them, it seems that they are improving on there products.

Most all companies go through this, it's the primary consumer that helps shape the company... user feed back is needed for good development.

why do you think when computer software companies make a new program or game they have "beta testers". Some of the asian servo companies it seems they go about it all wrong, they will release a servo that may be good to them but only to find that the user has much higher demands and so you see a ton of V2's and V3's poping up.

Take the new radios for instance, why do you think most of them have an update feature built in?

T.J.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: T3beatz

Les
I doubt thats the reason, they are a fairly new company once a few guys catch on to there servos someone will pick them up. The same thing happened with Power HD, now those servos are all over the place. When they first came out they were not producing the best servos either. Now that there are several U.S. retail sellers that offer them, it seems that they are improving on there products.

Most all companies go through this, it's the primary consumer that helps shape the company... user feed back is needed for good development.

why do you think when computer software companies make a new program or game they have "beta testers". Some of the asian servo companies it seems they go about it all wrong, they will release a servo that may be good to them but only to find that the user has much higher demands and so you see a ton of V2's and V3's poping up.

Take the new radios for instance, why do you think most of them have an update feature built in?

T.J.

There's a huge difference between beta testersand lets dump/sell them on the market and let the consumer loose potentially thousands of dollars on our non-exsistent QC and cut rate parts.

No thanks. I would only use them (Chinese knockoffs) in planes I don't care about. The problem is, I care about all of my airplanes. I also care about endangering fellow pilots and spectators to save a little cash.

JMHO.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
T3beatz

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Les

T.J.

There's a huge difference between beta testersand lets dump/sell them on the market and let the consumer loose potentially thousands of dollars on our non-exsistent QC and cut rate parts.

No thanks. I would only use them (Chinese knockoffs) in planes I don't care about. The problem is, I care about all of my airplanes. I also care about endangering fellow pilots and spectators to save a little cash.

JMHO.
I'm guessing you misunderstood my comment... I'm not saying that the servo companies are using us as beta testers at all...
these servos are inexpensive, and they offer the features that previously only big name servos at high prices could offer. Yes, they do need to step up there QC, and that seems to be the biggest problem that they have most of the time. Overall it's about the bottom line, and making money, most companies if unchecked well sell dirt to the consumer if you let them (and I'm not just talking eastern companies). I'm not one of those guys that when I see an inexpensive Chinese servo i automatically say "ohh it's gonna suck its from china", I look at it for what it is and the potential it has to be a good servo, so that in the future my fellow pilots and I can save a little cash on a good servo.

for the guys that cast them away, you can keep paying 100+ dollars for servos all you want, most of which your paying for the name... Yes, I know, and costomer service and good QC... How do you think companies build up to this?

T.J.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

K-bob,
You get it, these planes can hurt somebody and using Chinese junk as servos is in my opinion...VERY STUPID AND ASKING FOR TROUBLE!!! I wouldn't even put them in a foamy!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 PM
T3beatz

Well, you all are 100% entitled to your opinions and I respect that.  For those of us who do seek alternate servos they are out there, and some companies have them and some don't.  

Most people always use the these planes can hurt someones defense, in the wrong hands a pencil can hurt someone too! and I bet it has more than junk Chinese servos. LOL 

I've seen planes with top dollar stuff go into the ground right next to people... lets be honest... no lies when was the last time a plane hit someone in this hobby? and what equipment was in it?  

Yes, these planes can kill someone, but if you are a skilled pilot, and/or someone with knowledge of what you are doing, and you observe all the safety regulations at your field you should not have any problems.

All I'm saying is just because something is Inexpensive does not automatically make it a piece of crap... for those of you who think the opposite of this it seems your way of thinking may be skewed a bit.  JMHO.

T.J.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Inexpensive does not automatically make it a piece of crap"

No matter how anyone slices it, quality costs money; and that gets passed on to the consumer.

Les
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
T3beatz

"Inexpensive does not automatically make it a piece of crap"

No matter how anyone slices it, quality costs money; and that gets passed on to the consumer.

Les
What? who taught you that one? Quality costs money? In some aspects yes... but not all, don't be so close minded.

Take to pictures for example, one purchased from wall mart... and the other purchased from Pier 1 imports... both pictures are similar, good frames, overall adding great looks to your home. The one from Walmart cost $25.00 and the one from Pier 1 cost $125.00. Basically for 100 bucks less you just got the desired effect that you were looking for, good quality and a low price, and I doubt that one picture will outlast the other in a lifetime.
or you can take a $300 dollar pair of name brand jeans, or some $25.00 Arizona jeans from JCPenney. Which ones will last longer? I'm thinking they both will be about the same... your paying $275.00 extra for the name and the status of having them, (and here's the kicker... for the most part they all were made in china some where).
In this hobby I've seen it hundreds of times... the same item $40-60 dollars less under a different name.
What I'm saying is quality does not always cost money, sometimes quality is in the eye of the beholder. Do your research and you can get the best deal while still getting good quality.

T.J.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at 27 bucks a pop your not going to get 7955's though! LOL.
No way would I pay $27 for one of those junk servos.
Especially when you can get JR 821 digitals for $29.99. I got some for $25 becaused I looked around a bit.
8178's got it right...'like the plague'.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
T3beatz

ORIGINAL: Dave Harmon

at 27 bucks a pop your not going to get 7955's though! LOL.
No way would I pay $27 for one of those junk servos.
Especially when you can get JR 821 digitals for $29.99. I got some for $25 becaused I looked around a bit.
8178's got it right...'like the plague'.
Nice servos, but big difference in specs...

JR 821 specs... 88oz/in .15sec/60* @ 6v, Nylon composite gears, 3 pole motor.
VS
XQ-4020D specs... .18.5kg/cm (257oz/in) .15sec/60* @ 6v, and 21.8kg/cm (302.5oz/in) .13sec/60* @ 7.2v, Titanium gears, coreless motor, aluminum middle case (heat sink), water proof.

totaly different servos. more bang for your buck with the XQ.

here is a youtube video of them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxrqBPit21Y[/youtube]

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM
jimwrc

Well I got a Msg from XQ Power today stating that they are sending me two new servos. However the English was so broken up I'm not sure if they expect me to pay the shipping or not and if so not sure how. They sent them Fedex so that is good news on behalf of XQ Power.

I too like Hitech and agree that you "most often" get what you pay for but there wasn't any info out their about these servos and like he said about the Power HD's they may improve and be a great servo. I just wanted to try them and post what I found to help other modelers out who can't or don't want to buy the more expensive servo's.

No one really cares if you personally would ever buy these or any product from China. I think so many people get so wrapped around the axle about things like this and forget that most of what we buy any more comes from overseas/china anyways. FACT: WE ARE ALL PUTTING MONEY IN CHINA"S POCKETS so don't get so worked up over one person's opinion!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:04 PM
T3beatz

I've sent XQ messages in the past on ways they can improve there servos and they have got back to me in atimelymanner saying they will make theimprovements.
Simple stuff like, more grease on the gears, silicon rtv on some of the wires.
The problem with a lot of people is they assume just because there may be a few shadyChinesecompanies that all of them will be that way. It's kinda bad to single out an entire nation because a few bad eggs, horriblyraciestin myopinion.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sent XQ messages in the past on ways they can improve there servos and they have got back to me in a timely manner saying they will make the improvements.
The problem with a lot of people is they assume just because there may be a few shady Chinese companies that all of them will be that way. It's kinda bad to single out an entire nation because a few bad eggs, horribly raciest in my opinion.
The key to buying anything new on the market is to sample the product and take your chances or wait until the product has established a good record. If you go out and buy a new JR, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, etc. product, there is still a chance that there will be problems not caught in testing. If you want to be on the Bleeding Edge, just be willing to take the risk.

I have used Hitec receivers and servos for many years. I have not been disappointed, often. Some of this new Chinese stuff may prove to be worthy, as well, but with no track record, the risk of disappointment is higher, at first.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM
T3beatz

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I've sent XQ messages in the past on ways they can improve there servos and they have got back to me in atimelymanner saying they will make theimprovements.
The problem with a lot of people is they assume just because there may be a few shadyChinesecompanies that all of them will be that way. It's kinda bad to single out an entire nation because a few bad eggs, horriblyraciestin myopinion.
The key to buying anything new on the market is to sample the product and take your chances or wait until the product has established a good record. If you go out and buy a new JR, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, etc. product, there is still a chance that there will be problems not caught in testing. If you want to be on the Bleeding Edge, just be willing to take the risk.

I have used Hitec receivers and servos for many years. I have not been disappointed, often. Some of this new Chinese stuff may prove to be worthy, as well, but with no track record, the risk of disappointment is higher, at first.
I agree, You see it all the time in the top name brand threads when something new comes out, you still hear lots of complaints about "this" or "that". There is always room for improvement. And yes if you go with some of the inexpensive Chinese stuff it may take some time for them to get it right.
Someone was saying they would rather buy from Tower because at least the money is going into a U.S. workers hands. Well, whats the difference if a U.S. distributor picks up this servo company and helps them to produce an even better product?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"What? who taught you that one? Quality costs money? In some aspects yes... but not all, don't be so close minded. "

Life!!! 80 years worth of it.

I have got to wonder who tought you that Quality did NOT cost money. Better materials cost more; better craftsmanship costs more, better quality control costs more, etc, etc, etc.

Les
Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM
T3beatz

"What? who taught you that one? Quality costs money? In some aspects yes... but not all, don't be so close minded. "

Life!!! 80 years worth of it.

I have got to wonder who tought you that Quality did NOT cost money. Better materials cost more; better craftsmanship costs more, better quality control costs more, etc, etc, etc.

Les
I'm sorry but it seems you are confusing the term "cost" with the term "worth"... something may cost little but be worth a lot more.
The materials used can cost less, but still be worth a great amount to someone.
The craftsmanship may cost less, but still be great! and worth more than the price paid!
The quality control could be good and not cost as much (why do you think some U.S. companies outsource there jobs to other countries? Not just for a change of scenery. lower wages to pay, and if properly trained and motivated they can do the same job that an American can do the same or better, for less money). I'm not saying this is right, because it's not to me, but it happens all the time. Does that make the overall worth of your car or TV less? No, The companies produce them are paying "LESS" to get them made, but charging you, the consumer more! not passing on any of the savings they are getting. It's about the bottom line.
I'm not saying quality does not cost money, I'm saying quality does not always have to cost a TON of money!
I really don't want to bring this up because it's becoming sort of a cliche`. Look at DLE engines, you can get a lot of engine for little money, and great support to back it. (it does happen).
Congrats on 80 years of life, I can only hope to make it to that age.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

T3beatz,
You gotta pull the race card out BECAUSE you are losing the argument and DON"T have anything of merit to stand on??? Just remember, He's a racist, she's a racist, in fact we are all racist's!!! In your silly little worthless opinion!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
T3beatz

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

T3beatz,
You gotta pull the race card out BECAUSE you are losing the argument and DON"T have anything of merit to stand on??? Just remember, He's a racist, she's a racist, in fact we are all racist's!!! In your silly little worthless opinion!!!
What are you talking about??
This was my post....
"The problem with a lot of people is they assume just because there may be a few shady Chinese companies that all of them will be that way. It's kinda bad to single out an entire nation because a few bad eggs, horribly racist in my opinion."
If I said all Chinese products suck, and are junk, and they can't get it right... American made products are better and superior, am I not being a racist to a certain extent?
Now, did I call anyone in this thread a racist? I just made a comment, and yes this comment is true, I read and hear it alot, it happens all the time. People single out nations because of certain bad people in those countries.
To the same effect you can't assume every Chinese company will be bad... Would you like it if I'd used the word stereotype instead? I can switch them out and the comment will still be as true.
Anything of merit to stand on?? what do you mean, I'm confused here. What argument have I lost here? I'm just stating my opinion backed by a few facts... it seems that some other guys are saying things maybe because of past experiences (which I don't blame you) If you have had bad Chinese servos in your plane, or saw someone with them and the plane crashed because of it, or the servos just burned up before the plane got in the air, it is your right not to want to buy another Chinese product for the rest of your life! I won't stop you. But, If I say I use Chinese servos, or I'm going to use them, I don't think anyone has the right to call me stupid or dumb because of my decision either. (and I'm not stating you did)
this is one of your post...
"K-bob, You get it, these planes can hurt somebody and using Chinese junk as servos is in my opinion...VERY STUPID AND ASKING FOR TROUBLE!!! I wouldn't even put them in a foamy!!!"
read my post after it... no where in my post did I call you out of your name, or say that your opinion was silly, and worthless. Let's remember this is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun, a few debates from time to time will arise but lets not get all worked up about it. There are much worse things in life to worry about, than to spend time downing other guys because of what they choose to put in there planes.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 AM
philjac94

I have read this forum with interest from start to finish and thought I would post my findings.
My 4 new XQ servos arrived this morning and on initial impressions regarding the up front quality I was blown away, these servos look to be at very least on par with all current high end servos. I say at least but i really mean better, there is nothing i can fault with there manufacture and appearance.
The servo comes with very good quality 22swg wire, even this you can tell is of better than the average quality. The hardware pack comes with a full compliment of servo arms to suit any application.
Ok so on with the testing.
2hrs constant cycling via my Hitec Servo Tester on each servo revealed perfect movement with a nice resolution no jumping to the next position, great end point and reversal. When placed on manual test the servo followed the command perfectly, no overshoot and excellent centering. The servo did not get even slightly warm but obviously unloaded and with the Hitec tester only using 4.8v I wouldn't think there would be an issue here. Even at 4.8v the servo powers thru your grip using the 25mm servo arm. Tomorro I will connect to my radio and use 6.6v direct voltage and load them up and check the same charachteristics.

Its probably easier to list the Pro's and Cons below:

PRO'S
Great quality material and moulding
Aluminium heat sink mid case
Zero gear backlash
Smooth operation
Perfect endpoint and centering
Quiet operation

CON'S
Not programmable
Servo arms are fairly generic and useable, but would be nice to see an aluminium arm as standard.
As more people buy and discover the same findings these servo's will be harder to get.

I read earlier different comments about only buying high end, i can remember when anything made outside of the US was considered rubbish, now a days why would a person even contemplate saying such a ridiculous statement when upwards of 95% of all consumer products are made in China. Yes they weren't great from the start but neither was the light bulb.
So I think from my initial testing, these to be great servo's and at the moment I have no hesitation in penciling in these servos for my next jet project.
I will of course fall on my sword should they fail!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.