Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX8 vs. Futaba vs. Airtronics

Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum DX8 vs. Futaba vs. Airtronics

don't forget the early recalls on the Futaba for the GUID issue - that's been fixed for some time, but we live in a non-perfect world - things happen.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
strtnlevel
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been flying r/c for forty five years, so, here's my take on radios. The old radios that I learned to fly on were not nearly as reliable as the ones we use today. Sometime around 1985, I won a six channel Airtronics, I believe it was a Quasar until Motorola made them change the name. It was a great radio and I stuck with the brand through the 8 channel model. When I needed more channels I switched to the Futaba 9C. It worked okay but was a real challenge to program. I sold it and bought a JR 9303. I thought I "died and went to R/C Heaven!" Have been flying JR ever since. Today I fly with a 12x and the capabilities exceed anything I might want to do in the hobby. Recently, however, I has an issue with the battery/charging system with the 12x and since it was my only radio, I started doing my homework for purchasing a "backup". I decided on a DX8. The bang for the buck is unbeatable and it's compatible with all my DSM receivers. The only thing I notice when flying with the DX8 compared to the 12x is the weight. The Spectrum is a little lighter.
Other than that I cannot see or feel any difference than when flying the same airplanes with my 12x. To boot, where can you fing a Tx
with telemetry, 2048 resolution, a LIPO option and much more for $429? The others all work just fine, so the ultimate desicion rests with the user. Hope this helps in your decision process.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
fizzwater2

Well written - my first radio was an 8 channel Heathkit that I built myself from the kit. I can remember at one point, while looking for the model in the cornfield after the crash, that if it wasn't for the engine on the front of the plane I would have left the whole darned thing out there.

My next radio was an MRC 5 channel. It worked, was pretty reliable for the most part. The sticks were sure crappy by today's standards, though. I still have that radio, but it's no longer legal to use - an old , wideband transmitter and not very selective receiver on a frequency that is no longer legal for model use.

Next - an Ace pulse rudder only. Fun! Rudder only is fun if you've never done it.

Since then a variety of Ace AM radios (Silver Seven single stick and Micropro two-stick) and a variety of Futaba and JR stuff. I've ended up using mostly the JR's because I find the transmitters more comfortable in my hands. They've all been better than that heathkit and MRC that I started with...
Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

Some would call me crazy, and it is just a matter of opinion, but I beleive you get what you pay for. Sure Futaba is a bit high compared feature for feature with other brands, but I have had a few different models, and never a failure. I know that they to have had problems, but it seems to me to be some what less than the others. Just my opinion.

Bob
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

Hey prop washer2,

Nasa is paging you!
Something about a clean up in the cafeteria!
LoL
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
StevL

My first radio was a kraft 6 channel on 72.08, had about a 50/50 chance of getting a plane back. Had tons of hits....

Steve
Old 04-06-2011, 06:31 PM
BelAirBob

My uncle was a Royal dealer (purple box) and I had a few of those. One never knew if it was going to work or not. I drove 75 miles to his place many times for repairs. I finally bought myself a good radio....a Kraft Series 74 for college graduation. That was finally reliable....except during a rough landing. The crystals would break. Radios back then were match tuned.....transmitter and receiver. Fortunately, I was living in Florida and a Kraft repair guy was just up the road, but I only had one transmitter and one receiver. Things finally got better with an Airtronics Vanguard VG6 in 1987 or so. The electronics were infinitely better and multiple receivers were affordable.

Some people have no idea how difficult thing were back in the early days. I started with a one button MRC which was really a Futaba for rudder only. It had a really wideband receiver so if someone keyed a CB radio nearby, your airplane came crashing down. The escapement turned by a rubber band.

Every radio on the market today is much better than those and sorry to see so many people complaining because everything is not perfect. My Kraft 74 was $400 back in 1974 and there were others that cost plenty more. I have seen problems with every brand and people who swear by every brand. The one thing I have learned over the years is that the majority of crashes are pilot error, but is much more convenient to blame the radio......

You cannot go wrong with Spektrum, JR, Airtronics or Futaba. As people above have said, see how a transmitter feels in your hands, the relationship of the controls, etc.

bob
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TimBle

what are you realistically going to do with the telemetry?
Sure its a nice gimmick but please explain what actual value it brings to your flying.

Will it help you land?
Will it help you preflight your rc plane?
Will it tell you that you have a servo problem?
Is telling you that the plane is having a battery problem going to stop a crash when it will be abundantly clear that the plane is about to crash.

LOw battery warning is nice to have but it does not replace battery checking and understanding equipment behaviour under flight conditions.
Flight battery low... time to land. Yep, it will help you know when to land.

Wiggle the sticks and check the battery voltage under load. Preflight check...Yep!

Servos drawing too much current so the low battery alarm is going off when it shouldn't be... Yep, that one's covered too.

Battery problem... umm, forget it. It's hard to see with blinders on!

Real time battery telemetry absolutely can save your airplane and provides far more accurate information that a loaded volt meter. So how do you understand your equipment behaviour under flight conditions if you can't monitor it? Seriously!!!

FYI: The battery telemetry is built into every Hitec Optima RX where with the DX8 you have to add a device the size, weight and cost of an addition RX to get it!

Mike.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM
fizzwater2

Mike - are the minima receivers going to have the battery voltage telemetry, too?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

"Hey Bob," I inquired, "have I told you about what happened with my Airtronics SD-10g yet?"

"No, man, what happened?" Bob replied.

"Not a thing," I said grinning, "I pulled it new out of the box last July, and it's been just perfect ever since then!"

Ditto my Futaba 8FG : 300+ flights

Ditto my Futaba 7C: 1000+ flights

Ditto my Futaba 6EX's x 3 : 1000+ flights (collectively)

Ditto my Spektrum DX6i's x 2 : 2000+ flights (collectively)

Ditto my Kraft 7c (31 Years old) : 4000+ flights

AND

Ditto my DX8 - Over 300 Flights on it now between 2 BNF planes, and 3 BNF Helis and nil issues EVER...

Telemetry is cool. .I haven't used it yet but will on my next helicopter build which will be a 500 size..

In 33 years of RC flying I have only ever had 1 radio issue, with my very first Futaba 4H on 29Mhz AM in 1979when another TX on the same frequency was turned on simultaenously.. and I crashed..

These 2.4Ghz radios today are incredibly reliable..

Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 AM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

FYI: The battery telemetry is built into every Hitec Optima RX where with the DX8 you have to add a device the size, weight and cost of an addition RX to get it!
Ihear ya Mike. The battery telemetry is really what I'm most interested in. Isee the Optima Rx is about $89. Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 AM
air mail rcu

Just got back from the ETOC at Toledo (Great Show) Some of the top pilots were using the 8FG. I bought one about a year ago and really like it. So I ask them why they were using it. Knowing they are sponsored by Futaba they could have any of their top of the line radios. They told me because it is a top of the line radio for cheap and it does everything they need plus it was light weight. I also asked them if they were pressured into using it. They said no way. Talking to them I believed what they were telling me. Plus now the 8FG is a 14 channel radio. Great deal if you ask me.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

Mike - are the minima receivers going to have the battery voltage telemetry, too?
No, the Minima's are built to be as light as possible so there is no telemetry. The lightest telemetry RX is the Optima 6 LITE with is 9.8g but if you remove the BODA and just strip the sheathing to expose the antenna it get's down to 7g and is still completely full range. The Minima is 6g with case and 4g w/o.

ORIGINAL: jstrach

I hear ya Mike. The battery telemetry is really what I'm most interested in. I see the Optima Rx is about $89. Thanks for the info!!
You could probably find the Optima 9 for that plus we also sell triple packs that gets the price down too. The regular street price on the Hitec RX is: Minima 6 $44.99, Optima 6 LITE: $53.99, Optima 6: $49.99, Optima 7 (add on telemetry capable): $69.99 and the Optima 9 (add on capable): $99.99

If you spend some time comparing the Aurora to the DX8 you'll find they are not in the same league... you'd have to step up to the JR 11X to have similar features and then the A9 still has additional features like in-flight adjustments for the mixing and of coarse the telemetry. In-flight mixing adjust for example let's you assign a trim switch so when you are doing a Rud-> Elev mix (knife edge) you can simply use the trimmer to fine tune the setting instead of trial and error. This is a predetermined mix BTW where the DX-8 has to P-mix almost everything but the basics.

Mike.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice info -
You sidestepped reasons the Tx are not in the same league
Basically the DX8 is a general purpose tx which includes features HiTech does not offer :
Bind n Fly and Model match
Were it not for these omissions - I would be tempted grab one. The hard fact is - I see new DX8's but so far no new Hitechs
perhaps it is a local thing -The Hitech servos are well respected and used by a number of fliers here.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM
StevL

In-flight mixing adjust for example let's you assign a trim switch so when you are doing a Rud-> Elev mix (knife edge) you can simply use the trimmer to fine tune the setting instead of trial and error. This is a predetermined mix BTW where the DX-8 has to P-mix almost everything but the basics.
I believe the DX8 has this feature too. I'll have to look into it in more detail, I think that the Aux 3 knob can be used.

Steve
Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 AM
StevL

ORIGINAL: rmh
You sidestepped reasons the Tx are not in the same league
Basically the DX8 is a general purpose tx which includes features HiTech does not offer :
Bind n Fly and Model match
And for those tech geeks the A9 is 1024 resolution where the Dx8 is 2048 with compatable Rx.

Steve
Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 AM
MikeMayberry

You're correct about BnF and model match although the DSM module for the Futaba mz can be modded to work, and you do have to confirm your model prior to transmitting. If you compare feature to feature though (you can download the A9 manual here: http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/Manual_Aurora9.pdf plus the info on what was added in the last two firmware updates: http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...ra9/index.html ) you'll see what I mean.

The current promo offer http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...roraoffer.html gets you a free 7 channel RX and the option to purchase an additional RX for half price so with the discounts we're seeing, you can get the Aurora with 3 RX for around $400. Nothing can touch this for bang for the buck!

Mike.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 AM
fizzwater2

No, the Minima's are built to be as light as possible so there is no telemetry. The lightest telemetry RX is the Optima 6 LITE with is 9.8g but if you remove the BODA and just strip the sheathing to expose the antenna it get's down to 7g and is still completely full range. The Minima is 6g with case and 4g w/o.

Mike.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate the quick responses!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 AM
StevL

The current promo offer http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...roraoffer.html gets you a free 7 channel RX and the option to purchase an additional RX for half price so with the discounts we're seeing, you can get the Aurora with 3 RX for around $400. Nothing can touch this for bang for the buck!
Now that's a good deal!

Steve
Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oayR6s3ugFE

Chris923
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: chris923

Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oayR6s3ugFE

Chris923
Why

and why bother to post links of "failures?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Mitchell-RCU
My Feedback: (49)

Do you know where on HH website you saw about the upgrade on the 9503? I called them back when it was first announced about the DSMX and they were not going to do it free. I sure hope they have changed their mind.

Mitchell
Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Mitchell-RCU

Do you know where on HH website you saw about the upgrade on the 9503? I called them back when it was first announced about the DSMX and they were not going to do it free. I sure hope they have changed their mind.

Mitchell
I thought free upgrades were dependent upon how recently you'd purchased your radio system:

Direct from Horizon Hobby's FAQ:

"JR X9503
If you wish to add-on your JR X9503 you will need to purchase this product: JRPX9503UPG

Note: If you purchased your JR X9503 on or after November 1, 2010 you are eligible for a full add-on refund. Visit the product add-on page for details."
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: rmh

Why

and why bother to post links of "failures?
Why?Because that's exactly why I wanted to start this thread. To get a feeling for what radios are doing as far as features ANDas far as failures.

You have to be willing to listen to both sides, evaluate the information, and then make informed decisions based upon that. It's not entirely conclusive, but it's still worth knowing.

So please post the positive ANDthe negative. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM
rmh

I really can't see how posting videos submitted by second parties - is of any real value -positive or negative .
Hearsay info is really no info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.