Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 7C - Mixing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:45 AM
jstrach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 7C - Mixing question

My new radio, the Futaba 7C is a great 2.4 radio. Ireally have learned to like it. My previous radio was the FM Airtronics Vanguard from a couple decades ago... needless to say, the 2.4 modern radios are somewhat new to me. (Ialso have the Spektrum DX5e)

However, I was watching this video about the Airtronics SD-10G and the gentleman speaking talked about this feature where he was mixing the flaps and the elevator. Not only that, he was able to slow down the traverse speed of the flaps for more realistic behavior (and also less intrusive to flying dynamics).
Video here:http://blogs-modelairplanenews.com/m..._SD-10G_video/
(Between minute 2:00 and 3:00 he speaks mostly about this)

The notion of "mixing" is something I comprehend theoretically, but I have yet to actually utilize said feature. I am interested in the flaps / elevator mixing with my Cessna 182 Skylane.

Are there any Futaba 7C experts out there I can speak to about this perhaps?Is the 7C capable of this kind of programming?Either chime in on this thread, or maybe I can discuss with you through email - or even talk to over thephone? I will hit up my flyers at the next club meeting too - but thought I'd get some investigation in before next Wednesday.

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64314.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1590522  
Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 7C - Mixing question

Elevator/Flap mixing is a canned program that has been included with most computer radios. The instructions for your 7C are located on Pg 49 of the manual.

I do not have a 7C, but I have helped others with theirs. I have owned Futaba radios since 1978. My first computer radio was the T6XA and I believe it had Elevator/Flap mixing.

The Servo Speed or Delay functions are usually only offered in the higher end radios. I have a JR9303 and the mechanical retracts, operated by servos for each main, deploy one at a time in scale fashion. The Flaps deploy at a slow, scale speed. This is all done in the Tx.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 AM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Elevator/Flap mixing is a canned program that has been included with most computer radios. The instructions for your 7C are located on Pg 49 of the manual.
To be clear, I'm looking to offset flaps whentriggeredwith a little down elevator. So perhaps "mixing" is the wrong terminology here. I don't want the flaps to help my elevator; I want the elevator to counter the flaps "ballooning" effect.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 AM
DougV

Some info here: http://futabarc.com/faq/faq-7c-q774.html http://futabarc.com/faq/faq-7c.html

Doug.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 AM
BuschBarber

I understand what you are asking for, now. You want to be able to set Elevator Coupling to compensate for the Pitch Up or Pitch Down you may encounter as you deploy the Flaps.

Pg 50 of you manual talks about the canned program Flap/Elevator mixing. It is specifically designed to do just what you want - Provide Elevator Coupling as you apply Flaps.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 AM
jstrach

Pg 50 of you manual talks about the canned program Flap/Elevator mixing. It is specifically designed to do just what you want - Provide Elevator Coupling as you apply Flaps.
I don't know how I missed that page.... <grrrrrr></grrrrrr> THANKS!! I will go experiment now!!

These forums are great for getting answers like this.... thanks so much.

RESULT:Ifollowed the instructions on pg50 in the manual. Unfortunately, by default it's applying down elevator at retracted flaps and up elevator as the flaps extend. I'm currently not seeinga way to adjust the elevator direction. Hmmmm..... Also seems like you'd want to specify a starting position and then the throw of the elevator; that is to say specify the "range and direction" the elevator is going to move as more flaps are applied. I'll keep looking through the menus.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM
jstrach

The Servo Speed or Delay functions are usually only offered in the higher end radios. I have a JR9303 and the mechanical retracts, operated by servos for each main, deploy one at a time in scale fashion. The Flaps deploy at a slow, scale speed. This is all done in the Tx.
Rich, do you happen to know if the Futaba 8FG supports the Servo Speed or Delay functions you mention? It's difficult to know what terminology to seek in online manuals when trying to figure out what radios support which functionality. Is "Servo Speed" and "Delay functions" the common phrasing?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM
BuschBarber

Usually, you can apply Plus or Minus values to the mixing parameters, but I do not have a 7C to play with. On my 9303, I set the Deflection of the Flaps for Up, Mid, and Full, on a 3 position switch, and then the appropriate amount of Elevator coupling for each setting.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
jstrach

I see. I currently have my flaps on my variable dial, not the switches.

You state altering the mixes but Ihave yet to learn where that is on the 7C. Will keep investigating. It would seem there needs to be more control provided than what's listed on pg50 in the manual; more control when it comes to the mixing specifically. Hmmm.......

Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
BuschBarber

I do not know if the 8FG has the Speed or Delay functions, but I understand the 8FG is a great radio. Perhaps someone who owns one would know.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 AM
jstrach

OK, downloading the 8FGPDFmanual and will do a search...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM
BuschBarber

For some reason, Futaba, for a long time, used Knobs for the Flaps and did not provide an easy way to put Flaps on a Switch. It required using multiple Programmable Mixers and I had to learn this from 3rd party Programming Guides by Don EdBerg.

Usually, if the Canned Programs cannot handle the job, you need to use one or more Programmable Mixers. This requires help from others who have done this before or personal experimentation. The manuals just tell you how to enter data into the Mixer, but not anything about the variety of scenarios that you might need the Mixers for.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM
jstrach

I do not know if the 8FG has the Speed or Delay functions, but I understand the 8FG is a great radio. Perhaps someone who owns one would know.
Found this on pg 94 of the Futaba 8FGmanual:

Additionally, the speed of the aileron, elevator, and flap servos can be adjusted.

So this coupled with the fact that the 8FGcan support 14 channels, it has a backlit LCD - I think I've found my next radio. The only thing I was really hoping for was Rx battery telemetry.... grrrrrrrr
Old 04-07-2011, 08:55 AM
jstrach

ORIGINAL: jstrach

You state altering the mixes but Ihave yet to learn where that is on the 7C. Will keep investigating. It would seem there needs to be more control provided than what's listed on pg50 in the manual; more control when it comes to the mixing specifically. Hmmm.......
OK, found out how to fix this. No real mystery, there's a negative setting and this will accomplish what I wanted.The elevator now throws the right direction ever so slightly with flaps; and isproportional to the amountof flaps initiated bythe variable dial.EXCELLENT! I had to use up a little of my elevator trim to center the elevator with flaps retracted - so I might adjust the servo horn... or maybe I can change the elevatorend point? Hmmmmm... this is too fun.

There is the OFS> SETas seen in the picture, but not sure what that does - or how to affect the setting...?

NOTE:As an interesting aside, how does/did the Tx know what channel I have the flaps on? It automatically associated the right channels/servos; the elevator I understand but the flaps?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60727.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1590544