Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 7CAP FM

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:59 PM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 7CAP FM

I just cannot make myself buy a new radio yet. I've got a mint condition Futaba 7CAP I bought 6 or 7 years ago thinking it would provide years of service and growth in this hobby. I've gotten in an out of R/C over the last many years, but am looking to get back into it again - hopefully to stay. But, the world has switched to 2.4ghz stuff now. I figure 72mhz has been the staple for years and years and just because the 2.4 stuff is out doesn't make the 72 stuff any worse than it was. I guess its like an old computer. The new computer is better, but the old still does what it did before the new one came out. So, I am trying to convince myself to just keep flying with what I have (a hell of a nice FM radio) until I either lose it, break it, 72mhz becomes unprotected, or something else forces me into feeling good about spending the money.

Anyway, I figure with the advent of the 2.4 stuff, that FM receivers would be a dime a dozen. But, I am still seeing them quite highly priced. A decent 6-8 channel FX rx is still nearly 70-80 bucks with a crystal. I mean, damn! There has got to be a slew of these out there that aren't wanted or in demand anymore.

As a side note, I'd be willing to purchase some old FM receivers if anyone has some.

I really like my 7CAP and would probably just get the same thing in 2.4 since I know how to use it already. Hoping I can get a few (or more) more years of good R/C flying on FM.

Thoughts?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 7CAP FM

ORIGINAL: bryris

I just cannot make myself buy a new radio yet. I've got a mint condition Futaba 7CAP I bought 6 or 7 years ago thinking it would provide years of service and growth in this hobby. I've gotten in an out of R/C over the last many years, but am looking to get back into it again - hopefully to stay. But, the world has switched to 2.4ghz stuff now. I figure 72mhz has been the staple for years and years and just because the 2.4 stuff is out doesn't make the 72 stuff any worse than it was. I guess its like an old computer. The new computer is better, but the old still does what it did before the new one came out. So, I am trying to convince myself to just keep flying with what I have (a hell of a nice FM radio) until I either lose it, break it, 72mhz becomes unprotected, or something else forces me into feeling good about spending the money.

Anyway, I figure with the advent of the 2.4 stuff, that FM receivers would be a dime a dozen. But, I am still seeing them quite highly priced. A decent 6-8 channel FX rx is still nearly 70-80 bucks with a crystal. I mean, damn! There has got to be a slew of these out there that aren't wanted or in demand anymore.

As a side note, I'd be willing to purchase some old FM receivers if anyone has some.

I really like my 7CAP and would probably just get the same thing in 2.4 since I know how to use it already. Hoping I can get a few (or more) more years of good R/C flying on FM.

Thoughts?
If you check eBay or even RCU Market Place, I am sure you can find a good deal on used PPM Futaba receivers. I still have one aircraft on 72Mhz receiver, but the rest on 2.4. Be aware that there are newbies with Park Flyers as well as car and boat newbies who are buying used 72Mhz radios, as well. There is a risk that they will operate these models without paying attention to Frequency Control. It would be wise to pick up a Hobbico Frequency Scanner just to monitor the 72Mhz channels near your flying site.