Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

reversing servo

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reversing servo

I need to reverse one of the servos on the tail of my super decathon. I have a normal y on it now and was wondering if I am able to to rewire one of the connectors polarity wise or do I need a reversing y or possibly a single reverser. Hobby king has the single servo reversers but they are always out of stock on them.
thanks
Jeff
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: reversing servo

other company make single servo reversers. Google it or look on Tower etc. Ihave one but cannot remember the manufacturer.
Good luck
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jjoos99

I need to reverse one of the servos on the tail of my super decathon. I have a normal y on it now and was wondering if I am able to to rewire one of the connectors polarity wise or do I need a reversing y or possibly a single reverser. Hobby king has the single servo reversers but they are always out of stock on them.
thanks
Jeff
I have used various Reversing circuits in the past and they are nothing but trouble. The Neutral onthe reversed servo will change, after a couple of flights, and you have to readjust the Neutral, often. Use a JR Matchbox, or Reverse the servo. This is done by reversing the wires on the Pot and on the motor.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Campgems

Unless you are using a basic old school 4 channel TX the problem is best handled in the TX. Slave or use one of the Pre-mixes that solves your problem. It only requires a second servo extension. What TX are you using? Provide that and you will get your answer.

There is nothing you can do in the way of wiring. The basics are + & - battery for the electronics in the servo and a signal line to tell the servo what to do.. To reverse, you have to change the signalso it increases width vs decreases width and visa versa. All the problem explained above are likely. You can go intoa servo and do some surgery, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Don

Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
BuschBarber

I don't know about Digital serves, but with Analog servos, it is just a matter of unsoldering the red and black wires, on the servo pot and the motor, and unsoldering them to the opposite connections. I have been doing that since 1978. Do not use Servo Reversing circuits. If you have enough channels and Programmable Mixing, you can put the Right Elevator servo on the Elevator channel, and the Left Elevator servo on an unused channel, and mix them. We need to know what radio and serves you are using. You can alternatively use a JR Matchbox or the Futaba equivalent. The Futaba 8C and above has an Ailevator Mixer program that is easy to set up. JR 9303 has the Mate function for that purpose.
ORIGINAL: Campgems

Unless you are using a basic old school 4 channel TX the problem is best handled in the TX. Slave or use one of the Pre-mixes that solves your problem. It only requires a second servo extension. What TX are you using? Provide that and you will get your answer.

There is nothing you can do in the way of wiring. The basics are + & - battery for the electronics in the servo and a signal line to tell the servo what to do.. To reverse, you have to change the signal so it increases width vs decreases width and visa versa. All the problem explained above are likely. You can go into a servo and do some surgery, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Don

Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jjoos99 I need to reverse one of the servos on the tail of my super decathon. I have a normal y on it now and was wondering if I am able to to rewire one of the connectors polarity wise or do I need a reversing y or possibly a single reverser. Hobby king has the single servo reversers but they are always out of stock on them. thanks Jeff
1. What transmitter, does it have an ailevator function? if so, use that and reverse one of the tail servos.
2. Futaba servo operate in reverse direction to almost all other barnds, except rebadged (tower) amd clonesthereof, so use say Hitec or JR on one side and equivalent Futaba on the other.
3. refer to:
<dt>Servo - DIY Reverse Rotation </dt><dt>Servo - DIY Reverser, Driver, Direct Controller and other mods. </dt><dt>Servo - Reverse operation . DIY pictorial

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
(quick search = Ctrl+F) </dt>
Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 PM
BuschBarber

Absolutely!! I have been using Hitec servos for many years. If you use Hitec Digital servos, you can use the Hitec Servo Programmer to set an number of parameters on the servo including Servo Direction. I just did that very thing when I outfitted my H9 Carden 89" Yak with Hitec Digitals. I set the Neutral, End Points, Servo Direction, to match each servo.

It's late and I forgot about that.

In a pinch, I have Reversed a Hitec 645MG servo, last year, by swapping the Polarity on the + and - wires of the Pot and the Motor, inside the servo. It is not a difficult soldering job.