Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Advice on Servo's BEC and runaway boat required.

Hi Guys,

My first post in this section so please bear with me.

I've been having alot of trouble with my boat and at this point require advice from someone who understands the relationship between the ESC Rx and Servo in greater detail than I.

The setup:

2600kv brushless motor - max draw 18A.
    4S 1600mah 25-50C nano tech
    Traxxas SH-0256 Digital Servo
    ETTI 45Amp ESC
    FlySky GT3B Tx Rx
    30mm prop

The story.

My last run resulted in a death blow and I thought it was due to the Rx as the boat did not respond to shutting the throttle and just kept going full speed into a wall.
    Just before it did this the steering also jammed right and took a few seconds to correct. I had tested the rudder operation before and there as no bind. It does hit the boot but doesn't stick.

Once home I connected the servo and esc to the Rx and found that the servo was heating up to burning point and also the caps on the esc were too.
    In addition to this the Rx signal led was flickering erratically and then dies and there was no response to the tx.

If I connect another servo all is well.

This made me think that the servo failed causing the Rx to lose signal and hence the crash. This servo was a savox digital .

The question is what made the servo fail ? The savox rep said it was not having my endpoints adjusted causing a bind.

This has happened once before too using an analogue servo not a digital one.

I read an article that suggests that if a digital servo cant attain its full throw, it can overload the BEC on the ESC resulting in this kind of bahviour, but the other servo it happened with was not digital.

Any advice here would be helpful as I have now destroyed 2 boats and cant afford to do it again.

Many thanks in advance.

R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Advice on Servo's BEC and runaway boat required.

Hi R,

It sounds like youdid not check your travel limits before putting the boat on the water.

Also check your "fail safe" in case you are loosing signal for any reason.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rake

Hi Guys,

I've been having alot of trouble with my boat and at this point require advice from someone who understands the relationship between the ESC Rx and Servo in greater detail than I.

The setup:

ETTI 45Amp ESC
    FlySky GT3B Tx Rx
    30mm prop

The story.

My last run resulted in a death blow and I thought it was due to the Rx as the boat did not respond to shutting the throttle and just kept going full speed into a wall.
    Just before it did this the steering also jammed right and took a few seconds to correct. I had tested the rudder operation before and there as no bind. It does hit the boot but doesn't stick.

Once home I connected the servo and esc to the Rx and found that the servo was heating up to burning point and also the caps on the esc were too.
    In addition to this the Rx signal led was flickering erratically and then dies and there was no response to the tx.

This made me think that the servo failed causing the Rx to lose signal and hence the crash. This servo was a savox digital .

The question is what made the servo fail ? The savox rep said it was not having my endpoints adjusted causing a bind.

I read an article that suggests that if a digital servo cant attain its full throw, it can overload the BEC on the ESC resulting in this kind of bahviour, but the other servo it happened with was not digital.

Any advice here would be helpful as I have now destroyed 2 boats and cant afford to do it again.

Many thanks in advance.

R
    Have you used a Wattmeter to determine what load is being placed on the ESC, Motor, and Batteries? Is this within the specs of those components? You can use an H9 Current Meter, between the servo and the Rx to measure how much current is being drawn when the servo is Stalled. The ESC should have specs on how much current the BEC can provide to the Rx.

I would start there. You might be sure you are using 20ga-22ga wiring to the Rx.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Rake
    Some comments inserted in red by Zor.

[quote]ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Hi Guys,

The setup:

ETTI 45Amp ESC
    FlySky GT3B Tx Rx
    30mm prop

The story.

Thus the reason I suggested checking the fail safe.

It does hit the boot but doesn't stick.Not sure what you mean .

I imagine when you say "the caps" you are referring to capacitors.
    It appears there is a short in the servo causing an excessive current to flow. That would be obvious since it is heating up and of course that excessive current is supplied by the ESC that also heats up.

The high current drawn may have dropped the supply voltage including the ESC voltage to the receiver.
    A nearly discharged battery perhaps ?

A good indication of a failed servo.

A good deduction.

So I am not alone suspecting a travel limit setup which I mentioned in my previous posting.

Either digital or not both types can fail and present an abnormally high current drain.

Many thanks in advance.

R
    = BuschBarber
    Have you used a Wattmeter to determine what load is being placed on the ESC, Motor, and Batteries?

The overheating is a proof of excessive current without measuring it.

Is this within the specs of those components? You can use an H9 Current Meter, between the servo and the Rx to measure how much current is being drawn when the servo is Stalled. The ESC should have specs on how much current the BEC can provide to the Rx.

The servo should not get stalled; thus the need to check the travel limit. It was stated that there is no binding but it could be that there is no binding until the servo reaches a mechanical limit

I would start there. You might be sure you are using 20ga-22ga wiring to the Rx.

20ga and 22ga is too small for the amount of currents that may result fromsome jammed servo.
    Just some comments that are applicable.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is always prudent to measure the current being drawn by the servo. Especially in this case where the servo is heating up. You do not assume anything when you can gather additional data.

The common servo wire gauge has been 24ga for many years. The same has been true of the servo extension wires. Higher end servos are now being shipped with 20ga-22ga wire. Unless I have a light foamy aircraft, I always buy servo extensions in 20ga wire. I have had issues with the lighter gauge wire (24ga). The smaller the number the larger the diameter of wire. 20ga wire will handle any current loads that even a Stalled servo can deliver.

Any servo can get Stalled. The linkages can get Jammed, the gears can Bind, or the hinges can Bind. The OP indicated that his End Points were not adjusted properly, thus, the servo was going beyond the limits of the Steering Linkage and Binding (Stalling). Stalled servos draw more current, but a good servo would not overheat from Stalling.

On a boat, there are Waterproof Boots that cover the Steering Linkages and Wiring into the boat.
    You need to look at the setup for Failsafe in the FlySky manual on Pg 24.

http://site.hobbypartz.com/manual/FS-GT3B-Manual.pdf

Like most Failsafe setups, the Throttle should be set to go to Idle when the Receiver goes into Failsafe. The radio will go into Failsafe if the Signal from the Transmitter is disrupted, either by Interference or if the Tx power is turned off. When the Signal is restored, the Throttle should return to where the Throttle Stick was set when the Signal was lost.

Follow the procedure on Pg 24 of the manual to determine where the Failsafe setting is for your radio. If the Throttle is set to go to Idle, then your Throttle should have gone to Idle if you indeed had a Failsafe event. It is a good indicator if Failsafe was a problem.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you both for your great replies.

- The rod from the servo goes through a hole which incorporates rubber bellows - boot.

I have been puzzling about this for some time as ever since I got into this hobby it has been nothing but trouble and I was about to get my hat and make an exit, if it wasn't for the friends I have made on the forum, I would have done just that.

Great, I now have a reason for the behaviour of the boat.

The failsafe was not set, nor were the servo endpoints.
    From what I can gather a number of people run this boat custom and no mention has really been made of endpoints so I thought it would be ok to run without setting them.

Fact is I have now had at least 2 crashes that have resulted in a sunken boat, some dangerous and disgusting swims to retrieve them followed by hours of epoxy and glass work only for it to happen again.

back to the topic at hand.

On this occasion it was the didgital servo and it only took 3 minutes for things to begin going wrong and I now completely accept that the draw from a digital servo that stalls or can;t track to its endpoint has resulted in the BEC going down on the ESC and hence the out of control crash.

But....

I've run with 2065 traxxas before which have lasted alot longer however on one or two occasions the boat suffered a simillar fate only those times the servo's seemed to work afterwards leaving me stumped.
    2 of these have now failed completely but do not heat up or cause the ESC to heat up. They simply dont function. The Rx signal LED is fine the throttle works but the servo just doesnt. I thought initially that the Tx
    had stopped functioning only to find that a new Tx Rx pair behaved in the same manner eliminating the Tx and Rx.

So my next question is.....could the load drawn by the analogue 2065's have caused my previous crashes and all my issues stem from not having set up both the failsafe and the endpoints ? In addition to the failed servo's I have 2 puffed 2200 40C turningys that puffed only after 4 cycles / runs lending credance to this theory. Its funny though, the nano techs I had before seemed to last alot longer.

I had it on good accord that the earlier crashes were more likely to be due to using 2.4ghz flysky on the water....jamming the signal from spray / wave reflections.

My gut feeling it its more likely the servo's as I now have 3 failed ones.

Whats is your opinion please ?

Regarding wattmeters etc. The hull I use is micro hydro and as such there is no space for meters. I can only measure draw on the bench with a conventional fluke multimeter. But I have not one so as yet.

Many many thanks to you. Your help is invaluble.

R.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you both for your great replies.

- The rod from the servo goes through a hole which incorporates rubber bellows - boot.

I have been puzzling about this for some time as ever since I got into this hobby it has been nothing but trouble and I was about to get my hat and make an exit, if it wasn't for the friends I have made on the forum, I would have done just that.

Great, I now have a reason for the behaviour of the boat.

The failsafe was not set, nor were the servo endpoints.
    From what I can gather a number of people run this boat custom and no mention has really been made of endpoints so I thought it would be ok to run without setting them.

Fact is I have now had at least 2 crashes that have resulted in a sunken boat, some dangerous and disgusting swims to retrieve them followed by hours of epoxy and glass work only for it to happen again.

back to the topic at hand.

On this occasion it was the didgital servo and it only took 3 minutes for things to begin going wrong and I now completely accept that the draw from a digital servo that stalls or can;t track to its endpoint has resulted in the BEC going down on the ESC and hence the out of control crash.

But....

I've run with 2065 traxxas before which have lasted alot longer however on one or two occasions the boat suffered a simillar fate only those times the servo's seemed to work afterwards leaving me stumped.
    2 of these have now failed completely but do not heat up or cause the ESC to heat up. They simply dont function. The Rx signal LED is fine the throttle works but the servo just doesnt. I thought initially that the Tx
    had stopped functioning only to find that a new Tx Rx pair behaved in the same manner eliminating the Tx and Rx.

So my next question is.....could the load drawn by the analogue 2065's have caused my previous crashes and all my issues stem from not having set up both the failsafe and the endpoints ? In addition to the failed servo's I have 2 puffed 2200 40C turningys that puffed only after 4 cycles / runs lending credance to this theory. Its funny though, the nano techs I had before seemed to last alot longer.

I had it on good accord that the earlier crashes were more likely to be due to using 2.4ghz flysky on the water....jamming the signal from spray / wave reflections.

My gut feeling it its more likely the servo's as I now have 3 failed ones.

Whats is your opinion please ?

Regarding wattmeters etc. The hull I use is micro hydro and as such there is no space for meters. I can only measure draw on the bench with a conventional fluke multimeter. But I have not one so as yet.

Many many thanks to you. Your help is invaluble.

R.
    The Wattmeter is an external device that connects between the Motor battery and the ESC. Don't you remove your battery to charge it? The connectors for the battery and the ESC should be accessable.

Anyone that has RC electrics should have a Wattmeter. It will tell you Voltage, Current, and Amperage. If any of these parameters are out of specs, you can damage the components. You can also use the Wattmeter, between the servo and the Receiver or between the BEC and the Receiver, to measure Current Draw.

As was mentioned, different servos have different degrees of Buzz. Digitals usually Whine. This usually happens when any load is placed on the servo, but if the Deadband for that servo is narrow, it may randomly Buzz or Whine at Neutral, with no load.

I fly aircraft, but the procedure is still the same. When I set up a servo to operate the Rudder, I turn on the radio, with Travel (End Points) set to default (100%) and Subtrim set to Zero. I make sure that no Mixes are turned on that might affect the Rudder and Dual Rates are set to Zero. I set the Servo Direction. I install the Servo Arm so that it is as close to 90 deg to the long side of the servo case, as possible. I then use SubTrim to set the Servo Arm to exactly 90 deg.

Next, with the Stick at Neutral, I connect the Rudder Pushrod to the Rudder Horn. I slowly move the Rudder Stick back and forth to see if the Rudder binds. If it does, I can change the End Points. If I have to change the End Points more than 50%, I move the Pushrod in, one hole, on the Servo Arm, and try again and raise the End Points until I get the proper amount of travel, without Binding.

With the Wattmeter connected between the servo and the Rx, I use my hand to put pressure on the Rudder, Stalling the servo, and I read how much Current it consumes. I do this at least once for every servo that is connected to the Rx. In your case, if you know how much Current your BEC can handle, and you know how much Current your servo will draw, in the worst case scenario, you will know if you can safely run your system.

Some of my electric aircraft have ESC's that do not have a BEC or the BEC is too small for the type and number of servos I use. In that case, I wire an external BEC to the Motor battery or I use a separate battery pack for the Rx.

Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again but one question. Is it representative to use a meter on a bench with a boat ? The loads in water would be hard to reproduce.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

very great

limited time selling lipo battery
    Yineng China Holdings Group
    www.e6180.com
    amy@e6180.com
    MSN: xk04251@hotmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again but one question. Is it representative to use a meter on a bench with a boat ? The loads in water would be hard to reproduce.
    I see your point. It would be difficult to hold the boat, in place, in the water, while running the test, but it could be done.

How do you adjust the carburetor on a Gas or Glow engine in a boat without holding it still in the water? I would think you could do the same while using the Wattmeter. Have someone hold it for you and keep the spray away from the radio and meter.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rich,

The loads applied by holding it would be far greater than when running properly.

Prhaps a datalogger would be better but they are real expensive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Before my DX8 I used to use the Eagle Tree and Seagull.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063
    Spektrum Development Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

A DS821 servo fully jammed draws 730 miliamps with 5.0 volts across it.

Both measured simultaneously.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rich,

The loads applied by holding it would be far greater than when running properly.

Prhaps a datalogger would be better but they are real expensive.
    When we check our electric aircraft to determine the maximum load on our ESC, Motor, and Batteries, we hold the aircraft and run the Throttle up to Full. This is more load that we would see in the air, as well. If the numbers are in spec under the worst case scenario, they will not be a problem under normal operation.

I see nothing wrong with holding the boat in the water and firing it up. As I said before, you do that anyway for Gas and Glow boats, when tuning.

If you have adequate Telemetry onboard, then that is much easier and more accurate, whether it is an aircraft or a boat.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rake,

If you do make measurements, it would be nice to have some figures posted.

Nothing wrong with generalizations but specific examples speak louder.

It is a bit like a promisse to pay a debt and actually paying it ___ LOL.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, guys but it might be a little while.

The boat was in pieces after the crash and I am in the process of rebuilding her.

When done I will get a meter and revisit the thread.

Incidentally, the BEC on the ETTI ESC has been blown by this servo issue to, it will not deliver voltage on load.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, guys but it might be a little while.

The boat was in pieces after the crash and I am in the process of rebuilding her.

When done I will get a meter and revisit the thread.

Incidentally, the BEC on the ETTI ESC has been blown by this servo issue to, it will not deliver voltage on load.
    Rake,

All this sounds like you did not have a fuse in the battery circuit.

I was checking the thrust of a prop on an electric motor at full throttle and accidentally touched the top of the work bench with the prop. Of course the motor stopped rotating instantly.

The prop was not broken but the 20 amps fuse opened the circuit in less than a second.

Nothing heated up but the fuse.

I put in a new fuse and all is fine.

Think about it.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No one uses Fuses in the Battery circuit of electric RC models. The goal is to minimize the number of connections.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

No one uses Fuses in the Battery circuit of electric RC models. The goal is to minimize the number of connections.
    If so (minimize connections) then ____

Lets remove all connectors to servo extensions and servos and solder all the wiring.

Note passing by ___never hide a connector in an unaccessible location.

Lets remove all fuses in our automobiles (any vehicles) and solder all the wires so we can have the type of problems this fellow had.

How about all the fuses in our homes ?

Come on . . . . lets make good sense . . . . fuses are commonly used for obvious reasons to most people.

The fuse in my model came with the kit and is installed in the same type of recipient as we see in automobiles.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zor

Rake,

If you do make measurements, it would be nice to have some figures posted.

Nothing wrong with generalizations but specific examples speak louder.

It is a bit like a promisse to pay a debt and actually paying it _Ā*_Ā*_Ā* LĀ*OĀ*L.

Zor

My Wattmeter went dead when I used it on my new 89" H9 Carden Yak 54. I have a Turnigy 8080 (50cc-80cc) electric motor, from Hobby King (rated at up to 200a), a Castle Creations Ice 160HV ESC (rated at 160a), and a Turnigy 12S 5000mah 40C pack (rated at 200a). I am presently running an Evolution wood 26x10 prop that mouns to the motor with the same bolt pattern as the DA50, but weighs 3lbs.

The Ice 160HV stores 20min of data, from 8 different parameters, such as Motor RPM, Voltage, Current, Power, ESC Temp, etc. In the air, during a normal 5min flight, the prop is turning 7000rpm, at 140a, 6000w, 90deg F, at 50v. This is the max during a Full Power vertical climb, accelerating the 16lb airframe. For most of the flight, the numbers are half that, except for the Voltage.

The Castlelink USB cable and software allow me to view the data in columns of numbers (Max, Min, and Average), or in Graphical form. I can view graphs of individual parameters or multiple parameters at a time. I can download it to my PC and Print out the graphs.

There are other ICE ESC's of different sizes, with the same capability.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zor

If so (minimize connections) then _Ā*_Ā*_Ā*_Ā*

Lets remove all connectors to servo extensions and servos and solder all the wiring.

Note passing by _Ā*_Ā*_Ā*never hide a connector in an unaccessible location.

Lets remove all fuses in our automobiles (any vehicles) and solder all the wires so we can have the type of problems this fellow had.

How about all the fuses in our homes ?

Come on . . . . lets make good sense . . . . fuses are commonly used for obvious reasons to most people.

The fuse in my model came with the kit and is installed in the same type of recipient as we see in automobiles.

Zor

I have spoken to the some of the most experienced users of RC electric equipment. There are several in my club alone. Every connection you can save is more power to the motor. The batteries have to be disconnected from the ESC in order to charge them, and the motor has connectors to the ESC, but that is it. Especially in high end applications like I have.

You can use a Fuse if you want, but no one does. If it does not make sense to you it is because you have little experience with RC electrics.

Many use batteries in Parallel, Series, and both Parallel and Series. The number of necessary connections does matter. KIS!!
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

= BuschBarber

I have spoken to the some of the most experienced users of RC electric equipment. There are several in my club alone. Every connection you can save is more power to the motor. The batteries have to be disconnected from the ESC in order to charge them, and the motor has connectors to the ESC, but that is it. Especially in high end applications like I have.

You can use a Fuse if you want, but no one does. If it does not make sense to you it is because you have little experience with RC electrics.

Many use batteries in Parallel, Series, and both Parallel and Series. The number of necessary connections does matter. KIS!!
    BuschBarber,

I have removed most of the precedent to this post as anyone can scroll and read the previous postings.
    I have not touched your previous posting just above.

You are lucky to have all these experts to help you.

It does not change the fundamentals of electric circuits and I did not learn my knowledge only playing with RC. I graduated in elctronics years ago and have been involved with electrics all my long life.

I admit that having had photography as a hobby for most of my life did not make me a professionnal in the film industry like you are;a quite different domain of expertise.

Any good quality connector does not offer losses across its contacts when rated for the amount of current being handled. If some people like to use cheap (inexpensive junk) connectors that is their choice. There is lots of those cheap connectors supplied with some RC components.

I recently found in a kit two switches. One rated at 2 amps and the other at 3 amps. Fortunalety they are not switched while carrying the up to 20 amps in their application. I opened both switches to see the inside and posted some pictures of the insides of the switches. I then put a sensitive voltmeter across while carrying 18 amperes and did not read any significant voltage using a 200 milivots full scale range.

You can keep insinuating that I do not know what I am talking about. Enjoy yourself.
    When you write that I have little experience with RC electrics, be advised that electric connections in RC applications are not different than in any other aplications or domain.

All connectors in a model aircraft should be protected from vibration just like any other components. That just makes good sense.

I do not intend to pursue this matter with you since you are enjoying contradictions.
    Also sending me nasty PMsas in the past will remain unanswered as always.

Have a great time and post the pictures of some of your installations to help others

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zor - Your MO is always the same - Troll, Hijack a Thread, Mislead the OP, Start arguments with anyone who challenges your BS, Pretend you are an authority on Communications/Electronics, and then Back Out.

You would do better to Listen and Learn.

I never sent you any Nasty PM's (by the way, a PM is a Private Message). I merely provided Constructive Criticism, which you ignore anyway.

You take the joy out of RCU when you appear. You are not helping anyone with your behavior and certainly not the OP of this thread.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zor - Your MO is always the same - Troll, Hijack a Thread, Mislead the OP, Start arguments with anyone who challenges your BS, Pretend you are an authority on Communications/Electronics, and then Back Out.

You would do better to Listen and Learn.

I never sent you any Nasty PM's (by the way, a PM is a Private Message). I merely provided Constructive Criticism, which you ignore anyway.

I highlighted the underlined bold above.
    You emphasized that a PM is private. Are you afraid that I would make public some of the PM yous sent me that are nothing like you described. They are DESTRUCTIVE CRITICSM and worded as to be unsuitable for the forum.

You take the joy out of RCU when you appear. You are not helping anyone with your behavior and certainly not the OP of this thread.
    BuschBarber,

You are the only one and one of your friends that write such postings.

You cannot stand being corrected.
    It is good for you to rely on quoting your friends.
    I do not question your knowledge of the photographic domain but it is not electrical and electronic engineering.

I do not write things I cannot backup.
    Earlier in this thread it was shown that my conclusions of the initial thread posting turned out to be correct.

We are now waiting for the boat to be rebuilt. I hope this time it can be solid enough that it does not fall into pieces by hitting a wall at the edge of the water.

Again it seems to be a matter of gluing the structure and the covering being used.

Zor

P.S.: Do not feel bad. You are not the only one that cannot stand what makes more sense.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Truth is the Truth. You just have to accept the fact that those of us who really care about helping others will not tolerate your behavior. We will stand Watch.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast