RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Noisy servos

Old 08-14-2003, 03:16 AM
dhansen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Noisy servos

Hi All.

I have a couple of Futaba 133 servos that buzz constantly when the fight pack is turned on, even though they are not connected to anything. (Pushrods or other linkage that is.)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a dirty potentiometer (sp?) is the cause. If so, any thoughts or suggestions for cleaning them?

TIA, Dennis in Maine.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:44 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Noisy servos

They're not really user serviceable parts, if they start to go they start to go. Best bet would be to use denatured alcohol (Not over the counter stuff, NO WATER content) and a can of compressed air, the stuff suitible for electronics. The denatured alcohol will help disolve dirt. If you drown the pot in it and rotate a few times, and then blow most of it out of there. It may take an extremely long time to dry out the inside of the pot though, and there's not telling if it will help. If your servo goes insane when you turn it on, it's not dry =)
Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Noisy servos

Let me ask a different question but related

I have a pair of Futaba FP-S20 Servos in a glider I just purchased used. As soon as I power them up they start to chatter. The will move the surfaces, but do not work smoothly. I know the receiver and battery are good as I checked them with other servos.

Is there a reference source on opening up, cleaning and lubricating servos? I think these have just been sitting a long time and may be dirty. Perhaps some gunk to be cleaned out.

The connectors are all new. I soldered them on last night as the plane was set up old airtronics and I am moving everything over to Hitec.

Thanks for any advice.