RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Vexa Controls - Servo Exciter

Old 08-14-2003, 07:33 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Vexa Controls - Servo Exciter

Well, whats the verdict on this thingy? Is it reliable and worth the money?
Old 08-14-2003, 07:52 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Geez, my servos get excited every time I tell them we are going flying.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:03 AM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh a woise guy eh?

Its a servo tester among other things. I wanted to know if anybody used it and what their experience was.

Are any of you out there using any type of electronic servo testing gear?
Old 08-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Unless you're a servo technician it's a waste of money. Use your radio to test your servo's. The one nice thing it does that seems to make it worth it is give you an active display of the current usage. But you can do the same thing with a 12 dollar multi meter.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:02 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Servo Exciter

I have one and use it often to test servos and for setting up the servo installation in my airplanes. I often take it to Hobby shops or auctions to test used servos.

Not an essential piece of equipment but very useful.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:53 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default servoexciter

Cal Orr has a review in the latest RCM
Old 07-04-2004, 10:39 AM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: servoexciter

Yeah, I know, this thread is a year old but thought I would give Vexa a blatant plug. I've had their servo tester for a year now with flawless performance. It is very useful when building as you can center up your servos, measure endpoints, and check current draw before you install. Yes, you could rig up a DVM to measure current but this is much handier. The Vexa also will let you store the exact midpoint pulse of your radio set by plugging your receiver into it and then turning on your transmitter. The Vexa reads the center pulse and stores it. That way, you can set up your servos and not worry about them being a little off when installed. Your mileage may vary, but it was well worth the money for me.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:28 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: servoexciter

I have the basic ServoXciter.
When I bought it I didn't know if the ServoXciter would really be something I would use much. Now I use it all the time. I use it for burning in all my new servos. I don't care much for using my transmitter for this. It is easier to let the ServoXciter do it for you. I also use it for centering my servos during installation.
Handy piece of equipment.

Greg
Old 07-04-2004, 03:43 PM
dirtybird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Vexa Controls - Servo Exciter

It also has a glitch counter. I use it to check my gas powered airplanes for interferrance from the ignition with the engine running. Its a lot easier than watching the rudder. It wont work with a PCM receiver, though.
Its also handy for troubleshooting.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lynx

Unless you're a servo technician it's a waste of money. Use your radio to test your servo's. The one nice thing it does that seems to make it worth it is give you an active display of the current usage. But you can do the same thing with a 12 dollar multi meter.

Please don't send bad information, it is not a waste of money, there is many use for it and I use the one from Multiplex all the time and I am not a servo technician.

Roger
Old 07-06-2004, 08:26 PM
The PIPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default The Ace DATAMASTER replacement!

Dear ShempHoward:

The PIPE Here again...and when my BUDGET allows me to get one of these, I'm gonna have one in MY hangar!

There USED to be, LONG ago (some 20 years!) the Ace RC DataMaster servo and radio system "checkout device", and THAT neat unit had a digital readout servo timing meter WITH a manual servo driver (with its timing being controlled with a manual pot turned by a front panel KNOB on it) in it, and the readout could either read out the timing of the pulse train that the DataMaster's OWN internal electronics generated (as being output TO a servo under test that was hooked up to it) OR could be used to check out a transmitter's individual channel timing, either by using a receiver's servo output connection point (using an "input" cable that would be plugged into the appropriate servo channel socket) OR with an "RF Interface" unit that attached directly ONTO the DataMaster and that used a two-foot-long (or was that THREE foot long) 26 gauge wire with an alligator clip on its end to clip onto the end of the transmitter's antenna, and with a rotary switch on the RF Interface box, one could check out ALL the timings on one's transmitter for each and EVERY channel-but it worked ONLY if your transmitter was fitted with an AM transmit deck!

I've STILL got one of these "upgraded" Ace RC Datamasters, which STILL works completely, although the RF Interface's LONG clip lead needs to be REPLACED...and it COULD really use a NEW manual (the one the KNOB rotated) timing control pot in it as well [it's developed a NOISY and "dead" spot in its rotation]...and not long after I built my DataMaster, I ALSO added the guts of an Ace Servo Cycle servo checkout device, to the innards of MY DataMaster, that DOES allow my unit to actually "auto-cycle" a NEW servo to check it out for use in a new model for a neat "burn-in" rig.

The Vexa Controls unit is the CLOSEST device I've seen on the market to what the DataMaster WAS in its day in the early 1980s-its webpage is at http://www.vexacontrol.com/servoxciteref.html ...for US $70 it looks to be TODAY's version of "just about everything the DataMaster could do"...AND more!

Now if I could just get OUT of being UNDER my mother's "bender of HOME IMPROVEMENT" she's got ME helping HER with...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 07-07-2004, 11:58 AM
dirtybird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My unit also has a means of checking the no load deadband that I don't think the Ace unit had.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:12 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got one of these Vexa doohickies, it is awesome