Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Motor for wind turbine

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM
darthyoshi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor for wind turbine

Hello all,

I'm trying to build a wind turbine, and I need a motor for it. My friend suggested that an RC motor could work.

I need a motor that operates at high RPM and low torque. Any information would be useful. I'm new to this sort of thing, my background is in mechanical engineering.

More specifically, if someone has an idea of what kind of motor to look for and where, that would be the most helpful.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:59 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Motor for wind turbine

It depends. What size will the turbine be? But, if it's big enough, you should choose a Titan 12T on a 9.6V battery like this-http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Size-Motor-12TAnd, would this be an RC plane? And if you have a hobby shop or Hobby Town USA around they will have some.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM
darthyoshi

Well, I have plenty of room set aside for electrical components in the design. I need a motor that can do at least 600 RPM. The turbine is a Darrieus type wind turbine. Im looking to produce arount 500 to 1000 milliamps in current and about 5-8V.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:59 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, the titan on a 9 Volter or on an RC car setup- Radio, ESC Battery, would work. Glad i helped. And i don't know if this is a factor, but the milliamps would be slightly higher than 1000, but not by much.