Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba R6014FS & JR Servos compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 AM
baco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba R6014FS & JR Servos compatibility

Extracted from my Futaba 10 CAT manual

Product Advisory — R6014FS Receiver
Whereas many previous receivers offered a signal output of 3.0 Volts, the latest generation of ICs has been
designed to operate at lower voltages in order to increase their operational speeds. The R6014FS receiver
utilizes such an IC and, as such, the nominal signal output voltage of the R6014FS receiver is 2.7 Volts.
While this variance in the output voltage will not affect most equipment in use today, it has been brought to
our attention that some manufacturers’ products are not capable of operation with the lower signal voltage.
That is, they will not operate below 3.0 Volts. Some examples of what we have had reported thus far include
sequencers, cut-off valves, older servo designs and some recent non-Futaba digital servos.

I´m building a big model (Spruce Goose) with must use excellent servos. Kit manufacturer recmends using (5) DS3421 JR Digital Mini MG Servo and (1) Spektrum DS-821. Can I expect some kind of problem related with this characteristic of R6014FS if using with theses servos. Finding servos databases is dificult to find some Futaba replacement for DS3421 JR Digital Mini MG Servo in size, precision and torque.

Can somebody help ?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Futaba R6014FS & JR Servos compatibility

Well the short answer is if you have an R6014FS rx without either a white or gold dot on the side of the case, it may not work with anything but Futaba servos because of the low signal voltage.

Hitec, IIRC came out with a fix for their bigger servos but I don't recall anything about the smaller servos? I don't recall seeing many posts about Spektrum/JR servos and problems but I suspect that anything short of the 3.0 volt signal voltage may cause problems. Why don't you shoot Horizon an e-mail?

One other issue and I'm sure this will bring out the orange T-shirt crowd; that original 6014FS rx also had a nasty tendency to shut down if ambient temps got over 100 degrees or the interior of the model got over that range due to sitting in the sun or exhaust sytems contained in the fuselage. In playing around with that rx, Futaba came out with rx's which have a white dot on the side and IIRC that pretty much took care of the low signal voltage issue and then they came out with rx's having a gold dot on the side which seemed to correct the unexpected shutdown if the rx got hot then they finally released the R6014HS which corrects all the issues with the 6014FS.

You MAY want to consider replacing the rx if it's a spendy model or one you'll have a lot of time in, but that's JMHO.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:36 AM
baco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zeeb, thanks for your answer. My Rx has a white dot, and normally is inside my OV10 Bronco wich is white (CDF colors) and the receiver is inside the center fuse and keep at some distance from both engines. I never had a failure. Spruce Goose may be a different situation, inside a BIG fuse, but sharing its space with a 5000 mA 5S Lipo [&:]

May the the better solution for me is using a Spectrum / Jr radio for Spruce Goose and forget my Futaba for land models. Even better can use my old faithfull Futaba 7CAP PCM 72 mhz for Spruce Goose using JR servos. We are normally flying seaplanes far from my city and other areas heavily loaded with interferences.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well up to you on what radio system to use. I'm not 100% positive on the exact changes Futaba made to the 6014FS and the dots, but I'm 99% sure the information I gave you is accurate meaning your rx should have the higher signal voltage if it's got a white dot on the side.

We have too many places (churches, schools) around our club where the uninitiated can fire up their new RC "toys" like they get from Walmart or even Harbor Freight now. The problem is that all that stuff used to be on 27MHz, but almost everything I've seen for the last several years has been on 72MHz and that creates a problem around here for guys still using the 72MHz band.

72MHz does have significantly more range than 2.4GHz and lots of the FPV guys use 'em for that purpose. I'd miss the much faster control response of the 2.4GHz systems, but I fly mostly GS aerobatic gassers so that faster control response along with not worrying about getting shot down by radio interference is important to me....