RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba TX & Hitec RX help needed please..

Old 08-18-2003, 12:03 PM
TurboRacer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba TX & Hitec RX help needed please..

Ok, I just bought a Crazy Max, and have everything I need now to fly it, or so I thought...

I have a Futaba 9cH for my TX. Running on channel 39. I have a Hitec feather single conversion negative shift RX for the max. I bought from Servo City a Hitec Single Conversion crystal #39.

I swith the TX on, and plug a bettery into the RX.. The servos twitch at the initial power up, but when I move the sticks, nothing moves. If I turn off the TX while the battery is still plugged in to the RX, then turn on the TX again, the servos twitch as the TX comes on, so they're getting some type of signal...

Is my TX not compatible with single conversion? Or is there something I have to change on my TX to make it work with that RX?

I have a Berg 5 RX for my Piccolo pro, and it works fine with this TX. But the Hitec does not work for some reason..

Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff
Old 08-18-2003, 12:35 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Single / Dual conversion makes no difference to the transmitter.

From what I can tell, your setup sounds like it should work. Is it safe to assume your Tx works with other recievers? If so, we can eliminate that as the source of the problem. Is this Rx new, or used? Have you tried swapping out parts with known-good parts? Is the battery fully charged? Do you have another single conversion crystal to swap out for testing?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:45 PM
TurboRacer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, the TX works perfectly. I use it on my Piccolo Pro with a Berg 5 RX, and on my Raptor 30 with a Futaba full size RX. Both work great. The RX is brand new, just bought it from a hobby store. The battery should be charged enough, though I haven't tried another battery, so I'll try it with another battery when I get home toight. The crystal is also brand new, just got it in the mail on saturday. The only other "small" crystal I have is the one in the Berg 5. But I think that's a dual conversion crystal, I could be wrong. Either way, I tried that crystal too and it did not work.

Like I said though, the RX sees some type of TX activity because if I turn the TX on and off while the RX is on, the servos twitch at each turn on and off.. It's weird.

I'm new to electrics and the micro radio stuff, so I'm not really sure what to try next. I'll try a different battery when I get home tonight.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 03:29 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by TurboRacer
I'm new to electrics and the micro radio stuff, so I'm not really sure what to try next. I'll try a different battery when I get home tonight.
I didn't realize this was an electric... I don't have personal experience with them either.

Are powering the Rx with a 4.8V pack, or are you using a higher voltage, and a BEC circuit? For initial testing, I recommend a normal 4.8V pack. Once you have that working, then expand by adding the larger battery and BEC.

Keep us informed... perhaps someone with more electrics experience will add his/her 2
Old 08-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Please check to see if your transmitter is set to PCM or PPM. Your receiver is PPM. If you have the transmitter set to PCM, then it won't work with a PPM receiver.

Also, please make sure your Hitec receiver is Futaba-compatible. It should say in the instrucions or the box label.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:25 PM
TurboRacer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the ideas guys. I will check when I get home. And I'm 99% positive the RX is a futaba compatible one. it's Negative shift..

I got a feeling it's the PCM/PPM issue. I will try that when I get home.

Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:14 AM
TurboRacer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you guys!!

It was the PCM/PPM issue. It was switched to PCM.

Now the RX works perfectly.

Thanks again!!!