Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 AM
allenpad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX6i switch replacement

Hi guys,

The Flap switch on my DX6i has begun to rotate around internally. The switch is not loose in the case, just something inside moves around. I don't remember it doing that when I first bought it. Anyway, I've read that Spektrum will not sell replacement parts, but someone said that this switch would work: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLP1&P=SM

It looks like a simple job to replace that switch, only 2 wires to solder. Do you know if this switch or another switch will work, and more importantly, is there more to this job than it appears? I would rather do this myself than to send the radio back to Spektrum for repair.

Thanks for your help guys,

Rick
Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 PM
1320Fastback

Default RE: DX6i switch replacement

I just went thru this with the F.mode on my 6i.
I don't remember what the flap switch looked like inside but the one I changed was super easy.

I got my switch at Radio Shack for $2.99, its a simple SPST switch.

I dont think the flap switch is soldered to a circuit board and should be easy to chance also.

Can open my TX up later and report back.

I'd look for a SPST or SPDT at Radio Shack first with the longer toggle, sure save on shipping from tower.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 PM
1320Fastback

Ok opened it up and:

All the switches are Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) but they ALL can be Single Pole Single Throw (SPST). They are all super easy to solder and nothing is on a circuit borad or anything like that.

I had to use the stock 6i retaining ring on my Radio Shack switch because the Spektrum retainer ring is recessed. It fit the new switch with zero issues.

That switch in your link looks like it will work but the toggle is going to be short like all the other ones.

Tower does have a long toggle switch that might work too. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497119

This is the one I used and could be used on any switch other than the flap switch because of toggle length http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rodsPerPage=60

I dont see any long toggles on their site though.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
allenpad

Thanks, Fastback!

Yeah, nothing about it looked very difficult to me, just wanted to make sure I don't get surprised.

Being a very busy (or maybe lazy......yep, lazy) guy, and not wanting to drive down to the Shack, I found this recommended on another forum and ordered it: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...7-nd&x=28&y=14

I'll report back when it gets here..........

Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
allenpad

Oh yeah, it worked perfectly. It's funny that Spektrum won't sell you replacement parts for these things; I guesssending them backfor service isjust another way to get in your wallet!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM
GP23
My Feedback: (2)

I'm wondering (and I apologize if this is an amateur question) has anyone tried, or is it even possible, to convert that flap switch to a three position switch, instead of a two position?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 PM
dave0955

Hahaha, I just lost the Tumb Wheel on my DX6i. Cant access the menu.
So I call Horizon Hobby to purchase a new button\wheel. No way they say, have to send the radio in for service.
Uh, no, shipping is prohibitive from Canada for starts, the down time from shipping is unrealistic, its a needless expense on my part and a monkey with a screw driver can fix the damn button if you'd just send it to me.
Anyway, there goes Horizon's exemplary service as far as Im concerned.
We can build 30cc, 50cc and 100cc gas airplanes but apparently we're ll to stupid for a DIY kit to fix these radios that are obviously manufactured from cheap components.
Anyway, eastrc.org has the thumb wheel/button available in aluminum as well as the trim tabs in aluminum for the Spektrum line of radios for a decent price.
Easy as pie to change these guaranteed to fail trim tabs and button wheels.
To bad Horizon wont step up and take accountability for the inferior components in the Spektrum line of radios.
At the very least, allow us the opportunity to fix out of warranty radios on our own. It's a far cry from rocket science.

If I didnt have a bunch of Micro's from Parkzone and E-Flite, this radio would be done. Great marketing ploy by Horizon eh.