Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba FP-8U radios, how good were they.

The Futaba FP-8U series radios have been discontinued for some time now, however numerous variants of them are still in use and performing flawlessly. I am aware that stacked against the current whizz bang radios they would most likely pale in comparison, but in their time just how good were they?

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Futaba FP-8U radios, how good were they.

The old 8U radios would only pale in comparison to some of the upper end radios of today. It's still superior to any of Futaba's current transmitters from the 7C on down. Even the old 9C didn't offer much more than the 8U Super. The 8U is definitely superior to my Spektrum DX7. Not sure about the DX8 because I haven't seen one yet. You'll need to get into a JR 9303 or higher to begin getting more than an 8U offers. The only radio that Hitec offers that's superior to the 8U is the Aurora 9. I'm not familiar enough with Airtronics stuff to give an opinion, although I suspect the top of the line radio is comparable to the Aurora 9.

I bought two used 8U radios over 15 years ago. A few months ago I sold both of them to a local guy and his son who are still flying them with the FR Sky 2.4 modules and receivers. They are now on their 3rd set of batteries, and they both still work perfectly.
    McDDD
    ProBro 415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: karolh The Futaba FP-8U series radios have been discontinued for some time now, however numerous variants of them are still in use and performing flawlessly. I am aware that stacked against the current whizz bang radios they would most likely pale in comparison, but in their time just how good were they? Karol
    Post #2 +1, but easily upgraded/swappedto/from2.4Ghz.
    . Also be aware 8U is aged and even if seldom used, the wires attached to moving parts,
    even when via a small circuit board mounted at the base of stick, the plastic hardens causing wire fatigueto the point of breaking. see example jpg of a FF8 Broken Gimbal Wire
    Periodically checksall wiring, especially for Black Wire Corrosion.
    . Following may also assist:
    Futaba - 8U Radio System FAQ
    Futaba - Compatibility - Interchange of Modules between 8U, 9C, 9Z , 12Z& 14MZ
    Futaba - Hitec Modules are compatible

Alan T.
    Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47472.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	1656009  
    R/C hobby consultant for various companies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still have mine. Actually that's not completely true as I gave it to my son. Never had a problem with that radio, worked from day one and is still going strong.
    J F Sohm - AMA# 192350 - IMAA# 15145
    If you're not catching any flak, you're not over the target.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bought mine in 1997 and it's still going strong but now on 2.4. Had a couple things done to it over the years, like having the module pins resoldered, replacing a broken dual rate toggle switch and a succesful DIY repair of a broken gimbal stop on the rudder axis.

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had an 8AUPS. I had a problem shortly after I started using the radio. I suddenly had no range. I tried a different RF Module, but it was obviously a Tx problem. I opened the case and found that the circuit board where the antenna attached had a crack across the antenna circuit. A friend of mine, who worked for a company that made radios for the military, was able to solder Buss wire and repair the circuit. I never had another problem with the radio and eventually had Futaba replace the board with a new one, just to be safe. Never a problem besides that one.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Still using mine on channel 32 as my primary radio - never a problem or crash. I keep 16 planes in memory all the time. I hear there is some new radios out, but don't want to rush into anything, maybe in a few years I will change.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62768.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1659835  
    Ron - AMA 1025 - Largo, FL

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not

completely sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow - I am surprised when I see people are still using these radios
    -In today's world of electronics -they are relatively ancient - but if interferrence by others is not a problem- then no real problems exist.
    I never liked em - too hard to setup (relative to my JR 10 series stuff ) but others I fly with really liked em.
    Libby is still watching you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have 2 of the 8U's (bought used) Both work quite nicely, and are compatible with the Spectrum 2.4G TX module.
    The major difference between them and the 9C was that the 9C has expanded Helicopter related features.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had an 8uaps and loved it. It took a little work to figure out the programming (the book by Don Edberg is a huge help) but once you get it down its great. Mine was stolen when my truck was broken into 8 or 9 years ago (replaced with 9C) otherwise I'd probably still have it today.
    Pauly
    Corona RC Club