Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Upgrading Transmitter...looking for feedback

Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Upgrading Transmitter...looking for feedback

ORIGINAL: R/C Lee

I too am looking to upgrade this fall/winter. I like the Futaba 8 with its ability to upgrade to 14 channels, but with only 8 channels on the transmitter, how would that help me? My large scale gas models will require at a minimum of 10 channels available on the transmitter, so I can't see how an 8-channel transmitter will be of any help for that situation. Am I missing something? Thanks, Lee
I am a big fan of extra channels since I always seem to run out. I, at first, was wondering how an 8ch transmitter could utilize 14 channels. Let's say you have 4 Aileron servos. You could the first one to the Aileron channel and connect the other 3 to any other 3 available channels. You then would do all the mixing in the Tx.

I am not sure if all 14 channels are proportional, so that could limit some of the choices you have. It still could be very convenient.

The other consideration is the level of programming. As you move up from the 8FG to the 12, 14, and 18 channel radios, you also get a plethora of additional programming.

I fly JR/Spektrum, so I am not current on all the functionality built in to this radio.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

But do you have 14 separate input devices - so you could assign one to each channel so each servo has it's own individual input device? That's what I don't get, I guess.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 PM
forrest gump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

But do you have 14 separate input devices - so you could assign one to each channel so each servo has it's own individual input device? That's what I don't get, I guess.

Yes.... see 2 posts previous...Fg
Old 09-13-2011, 02:04 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I think you pretty much answered what I thought the 8FG does: it has 8 separate TX controls, but no more. So if I need a channel 9 and/or channel 10 function separately controlled by the TX, I can't do it. Granted, the additional channels will give more airborne controls/mixes/etc with the appropriate receiver, but I would need a true 10-channel TX if I want 10 separately controlled channels. I'll wait and see what Futaba has up their sleeves this fall/winter. Lee
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 PM
BuschBarber

Thanks for your reply. I think you pretty much answered what I thought the 8FG does: it has 8 separate TX controls, but no more. So if I need a channel 9 and/or channel 10 function separately controlled by the TX, I can't do it. Granted, the additional channels will give more airborne controls/mixes/etc with the appropriate receiver, but I would need a true 10-channel TX if I want 10 separately controlled channels. I'll wait and see what Futaba has up their sleeves this fall/winter. Lee
I believe you can assign switches or levers to the additional channels.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM
DougV

Lee,

With the 8FG, You can assign any function to any switch or channel up to 14 channels. (12+2)

Doug.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:39 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

The 8FG has 16 sticks/levers/dials/switches which can be assigned to any of the 14 channels.

Bruce
Old 09-14-2011, 05:56 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Thanks, Bruce - didn't realize there were so many switches. I ought to take a closer look, eh?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM
pilotpete2

+1,
I can't ever imagine a model where each channel is assigned for a specific function. Most models need the extra channels for multiple servos on a common control. With larger models, having the extra channels for ganged servos on a common control surface beats having to buy and setup matchboxes. On the 8FG, if you need three servos on rudder (way outa my league), you just assign the three channels you want to the Rudder in the function menu, no need to use a mix.
Pete
Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

+1,
I can't ever imagine a model where each channel is assigned for a specific function. Most models need the extra channels for multiple servos on a common control. With larger models, having the extra channels for ganged servos on a common control surface beats having to buy and setup matchboxes. On the 8FG, if you need three servos on rudder (way outa my league), you just assign the three channels you want to the Rudder in the function menu, no need to use a mix.
Pete
FiberOptic Kill, Smoke, Raise Canopy, Speed Brake, Wheel Brakes, Bomb Drop, Steerable Tailwheel. These are just a few items that require individual channels. Add to that Quad Ailerons, Dual Elevators, Flaps, and Rudders, all on separate channels.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
DaleD

Ihave been following this and other threads onthe three radios being discussed and Iam yet to see what I could consider an unbiased and objective comparison of the three. While Iappreciate that owners of each radio will have a tendency to defend their investment, it would really be good to read a post from someone who has had the opportunity to play with each radio over a period of time with information on how each stacks up against the others over a specific set of parameters.

Don’t get me wrong guys, your posts and contributions to date have all been informative. Maybe Iam just a tad bit lazy and just wish to see all the info in one easy and convenient place. I crave your forgiveness.

DaleD

Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: DaleD

I have been following this and other threads on the three radios being discussed and I am yet to see what I could consider an unbiased and objective comparison of the three. While I appreciate that owners of each radio will have a tendency to defend their investment, it would really be good to read a post from someone who has had the opportunity to play with each radio over a period of time with information on how each stacks up against the others over a specific set of parameters.

Don’t get me wrong guys, your posts and contributions to date have all been informative. Maybe I am just a tad bit lazy and just wish to see all the info in one easy and convenient place. I crave your forgiveness.

DaleD

You really need to own all three to do a Side by Side comparison. You can read all you want, but it takes weeks of working with these radios to fully understand the Strengths and Weaknesses of the programming. If, for example, you have been using Futaba 2.4 for a while and you pick up the Latest and Greatest model, there are some aspects of the programming that will look familiar, but there may be many more additions to the programming that are new.

When I bought the 9CAP, I thought I had 9 channels that were all equivalent. I later found out that the 9th channel was only a Switch, not Proportional, and only worked with Futaba's 9ch PCM receiver. I had a jet with Wheel Brakes and Retracts and bought a MiniHobbies Retract Valve and Brake Valve which just required an On/Off Switch to operate. The Brake Valve was on Ch9. One day, at a meet, the Brake Valve failed and I had to install a Brake Valve that was operated by a servo and needed a Proportional channel to operate. I could not use Ch9 anymore. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out which channel I could use for the Brake Valve and what I could switch to Ch9, as I needed all 9 channels for the jet.

What is important to me as far as features in a Tx may not be important to you.

If you bought a DX7 radio with the express purpose of training someone on a Buddy Box, you would find that the Trainer Switch is in a nasty spot and hard to hold and easily jump to Rudder/Throttle if you need to.

Some buy a particular Tx just because of the Look and Feel. You need to go to a big Trade show or to a local Flying Field to really understand the differences. You should make a list of all the features you need and ask how they would be implemented.

You won't find too many people here that bought Tx's from 3 different manufacturers, in the same time frame.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Rich, you bring up an excellent point, that of having one (or more) channels that are not necessarily proportional. I really appreciate all of the inputs here, and cannot without a major drive go to a hobby shop that might carry enough systems to compare one with the other. Our "local" clubs don't have enough members to expose me to the added features of one system over another. Also, forget trade shows here. It's a minimum 3+ hour drive to the only trade show in the Northwest that might have enough systems for comparison, and that's in the icy conditions of January/February. So, I'm relying on those of you who give your opinions/comments to help in my decision making. Once I can narrow it down some, I'll definitely start driving. Thanks again to all of you. Lee
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM
BuschBarber

Rich, you bring up an excellent point, that of having one (or more) channels that are not necessarily proportional. I really appreciate all of the inputs here, and cannot without a major drive go to a hobby shop that might carry enough systems to compare one with the other. Our ''local'' clubs don't have enough members to expose me to the added features of one system over another. Also, forget trade shows here. It's a minimum 3+ hour drive to the only trade show in the Northwest that might have enough systems for comparison, and that's in the icy conditions of January/February. So, I'm relying on those of you who give your opinions/comments to help in my decision making. Once I can narrow it down some, I'll definitely start driving. Thanks again to all of you. Lee
I see your dilemma.

As I said, no matter how long I stare at the programming on a new radio, it takes a while to determine if it can do what I need it to do, for every situation. I bought a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick, once, and decided I only needed 7 channels to make everything work. I found out afterwards that limitations in the programming prevented me from being able to make all the special features work. I ultimately bought an 8AUPS and had no problem.

Perhaps if you made a list of what you would like to be able to do, each person familiar with a particular brand of radio could explain how they would accomplish the task.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I have an Airtronics RDS8000.  All the guys at my club fly Futabas.  They all have more money than me I guess.  The only features I use regularly are the servo reverse, expo, and dual rate.  I often forget to turn the timer on but its nice to hear the beep every minute when I do remember.  Maybe I am just not good enough yet to realize the full potential of some of the other features.  SO when I do buy a new radio it will be the 10 ch Airtronics.  Of course, I am the guy who has bought 6 new trucks since 1990 and they have all been Silverados.  And I just traded a 2007 Prius for a 2011 Prius.  I seem to always go back to what I know and like.  If it doesnt work for me I will try something else.   
Old 09-17-2011, 02:38 PM
GP23

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

I have an Airtronics RDS8000. All the guys at my club fly Futabas. They all have more money than me I guess. The only features I use regularly are the servo reverse, expo, and dual rate. I often forget to turn the timer on but its nice to hear the beep every minute when I do remember. Maybe I am just not good enough yet to realize the full potential of some of the other features. SO when I do buy a new radio it will be the 10 ch Airtronics. Of course, I am the guy who has bought 6 new trucks since 1990 and they have all been Silverados. And I just traded a 2007Prius for a 2011 Prius. I seem to always go back to what I know and like. If it doesnt work for me Iwill try something else.

I'm in a similar boat right now as far as usage...I am just not that experienced in my flying to fully realize the capabilities/advantages of all the mixing and programming. I'm sure I will get there one day and hopefully when I upgrade it will be my first real step in that realm (although the DX6i has some programming and I haven't played around yet with any of it). This upgrade that I will be doing in the next few months is something I plan on keeping for about the next 5 years...and after that, I'm sure it'll be time for another upgrade and I'll have the ability to more accurately assess what I will need for the following 5 years.

At this time I guess I'm looking for more channels that are switch-assignable since I will be venturing into bigger gas models and will have more features. Sticking with the same brand is definitely my cheapest and most convenient and familiar option for me...so that would mean the DX8. However, I'm still not sure which direction I'll end up going. Its certainly almost impossible to get an accurate and upbiased comparison between the 3 transmitters I'm considering, and I think it might come down to timing and the best discount being offered at the time I make my purchase (although it would make things so much easier if I had one model I can go after). So it will be interesting to see what the holiday discounts will bring...