Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 11X blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:48 PM
onetankjcs
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 11X blowing fuses

My 11X has blown 5 fuses in two months. Each time it's as I'm pluging the charge cord into the radio. I'm following the directions in the manual by plugging the cord into the radio first and then plugging the transformer into the wall outlet.

I've owned Futaba, JR, Spektrum and Airtronics radios and this 11X is the first radio that I've charged in this sequence. Useally the charger is already plugged into the wall and I just grab the cord and plug it into the radio and have never blown a fuse.

Has anyone else had any problrms likr this?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:09 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JR 11X blowing fuses

ORIGINAL: onetankjcs

My 11X has blown 5 fuses in two months. Each time it's as I'm pluging the charge cord into the radio. I'm following the directions in the manual by plugging the cord into the radio first and then plugging the transformer into the wall outlet.

I've owned Futaba, JR, Spektrum and Airtronics radios and this 11X is the first radio that I've charged in this sequence. Useally the charger is already plugged into the wall and I just grab the cord and plug it into the radio and have never blown a fuse.

Has anyone else had any problrms likr this?
I have a friend who had this problem in the past. He was advised to Turn on the Tx (which disables the Charging Jack), Plug the charger into the Tx, then Turn off the Tx (which initiates the Charge). It appears that the Charging Jack in the Tx is where the short occurs. It probably needs to be replaced. I suppose that the Charge Plug, on the charger lead, could be faulty.

Have you tried using another Charger?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:35 AM
pilotpete2

Also, make sure you're using a 3A replacement fuse. Many folks are confused by the way those fuses are marked and read the markings on the original as .3A, they're not
A .3A fuse is marked as 3/10A. I mention this, because a 3/10A fuse will work, but will be very touchy when connecting the charger, and is only a little above the normal operating current when the transmitter is in use, not a good thing.
Pete
Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 AM
onetankjcs

I have not tried another charger as I have already sold my JR 9303. I thought that because it's a brand new JR radio and charger that everything should work. I've always said that all manufactures have a "lemon" in the bunch and unfortunately someone has to get that one,,,,,,,,I guess it's just my turn.
As for as the fuse's go, I've just installed my last JR fuse and afraid to plug in the charger. I would like to get a female battery connector like the one in the JR radio and then add a plug onto the end of that and just charge the battery out of the radio. Maybe I'll look for an old JR radio to rob the parts from.
I also plan on calling Horizon on Tuesday to see if they have a cure and to order some more fuses.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:48 PM
grizzly59

Make your own plug to fit into the female plug on the battery. Use a short wire extension and cut the housing off from around the pins on the female side. The positive and negative pins will fit into the battery plug. Make sure you keep positive to positve and negative to negative. I would use this if you have another dedicated charger. Borrow a JR wall charger from a friend and see if his works. If it does it is your wall charger that is the problem. If it still blows a fuse it is the charger receptacle in the transmitter that is probably giving you problems. Any way that is what I would do to try to isolate the problem.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
onetankjcs

Thanks for the plug idea. I thought the pins on the radio plug was much smaller than those on an extension but I'll check it out. I was going to try my friends charger but he has cut the plug off the JR charger to use with a different charger.

I have a 3 cell 2500mah lipo that I used in my JR 9303 with no problems, but I've been told it could fry some parts in the radio so I don't want to try it on a brand new radio. Thanks for all the responses. I'll post again after I talk to the Horizon techs.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: onetankjcs

Thanks for the plug idea. I thought the pins on the radio plug was much smaller than those on an extension but I'll check it out. I was going to try my friends charger but he has cut the plug off the JR charger to use with a different charger.

I have a 3 cell 2500mah lipo that I used in my JR 9303 with no problems, but I've been told it could fry some parts in the radio so I don't want to try it on a brand new radio. Thanks for all the responses. I'll post again after I talk to the Horizon techs.
A 3 cell LiPo is not recommended for the 9303, either, yet I have been using them in two 9303's for 4 years, without issue. As an alternative, you can just charge the LiPo to 11.7v or connect a couple of Radio Shack Diodes, in series, with the Positive Battery Lead, to drop the voltage. Some people use Eneloops, which are a form of NiMh but hold their charge more like LiPos. LiFe is also a lower voltage Lithium alternative. Except for perhaps Eneloops, I will never use NiCad or NiMh, for Tx or Rx, ever again.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Just listen to BuschBarber. Plug your charger in the wall. Turn on the transmitter. Plug charger into the transmitter. Turn off the transmitter. Kiss.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:59 PM
onetankjcs

Fuse Up-date: Just got my 11X back from Horizon. They could not find anything wrong with the radio or the charger. However, they replaced the charger just in case there was something wrong with it. I guess replacing the charger is a lot cheeper than "replacing the radio", just in case there was something wrong with it! I've charged it once since it's been back, no problem. If it blows another fuse, I'll just remove the battery and charge it separately.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Dave Harmon

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I suppose that the Charge Plug, on the charger lead, could be faulty.

Have you tried using another Charger?
Tank....Rich has it right.
On your original charger I'll bet that the plastic ring around the end of the charger plug was broken. This will cause a short across the battery which will blow the internal fuse....UNLESS.....you turn on the transmitter, plug in the charger and then to start the charge....turn off the transmitter.
When the transmitter is ON...the battery is switched away from the transmitter charge jack. This is why the fuse dosen't blow when the transmitter is turned on.
At least you got a new charger out of the deal.
If this ever happens again take a look at that plastic ring....if it's broken, go to Radio Shack and buy the rigt size plug and put it on yourself.
They come in different inside and outside diameters so take your old one with you to compare.
Have fun!