Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Looking for info on buddy-box system...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:18 PM
TurboRacer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on buddy-box system...

Hello everyone. Next weekend I will have the joy of teaching a co-worker how to fly an RC airplane!

He picked up a combo 4 channel .40 size trainer, with a Hitec Focus 4 I believe radio, and other basic things.

I have a Futaba 9cH radio.. Will I be able to hook a cable between our radios? I know his is buddy enabled, and so is mine, but I'm not sure if we need the exact same TX's? Or just the same brands? Or will Hitec & Futaba work because they're the same shift?

Also, does his radio need to be on my channel, or if we're hooked up will it all go through his radio? I have Channel 39 module, and he has a different channel. I don't want to go getting a new module just to train him. Does it only TX through one transmitter?

Please bare with me, I have never used a buddy box.

Thank you for any & all help!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:37 PM
DaveJohansen
My Feedback: (8)

Check out this web site on info concerning using a buddy box.

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Hel.../BuddyBox.html

Old 08-20-2003, 02:43 PM
TurboRacer
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by DaveJohansen
Check out this web site on info concerning using a buddy box.

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Hel.../BuddyBox.html

Awesome, thanks. That answered everything except for the question about his hitec hooking up to my Futaba? Anyone know if that will work?

Thanks again Dave.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:28 PM
strato911

Yes, they should work together, but you may have difficulty buying the appropriate cord. Due to minor differences between Hitec and Futaba pinouts, a Hitec cord should always be used when these two brands are mixed. However, the 9C has a different plug shape than the older Futaba plugs, so you may have to make your own.

Here's a good source of info on connecting radios together for buddy-box service. It also lists the pinouts of the various connectors, so you can make your own cables (chapter 3).

http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX

Remember, in you particular setup, the instructor will operate the radio on the same frequency as the plane (master), and the student operates the other radio as a slave. If the slave radio normally uses modules (like your 9C), remove it. If it uses crystals, remove the crystal to ensure it isn't broadcasting.

P.S. I never used a buddy box either - they weren't common when I was learning.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:08 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Futaba makes an adapter to go from the old round plug to the stupid new square one.