Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range check on 14mz 2.4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Range check on 14mz 2.4?

CAn someone explain it, im doing something wrong and i know its something simple. I go to range check and it says i cannot range check since the RF is on.

THanks
Old 10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Range check on 14mz 2.4?

When you boot the system do not select send simply select do not transmit, then go to range check.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

CAn someone explain it, im doing something wrong and i know its something simple. I go to range check and it says i cannot range check since the RF is on.

THanks
If using 2.4ghz, touch and hold anywhere on the screen when turning the transmitter on. It will then give you the option screen.

I usually place my thumb on the screen while holding the transmitter with left hand, turn on power. Option appears.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM
FenderBean

ahhh thanks guys after the last update my radio no longer gives u the option to turn the rf on and off like before. I will try touching the screen on boot up!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Dick T.

It still offers the transmit option if you have a 72mhz module installed. Not needed for 2.4ghz.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Just be careful if you have en electric plane when range check, I once forgotat boot of my 14MZ to select not to transmitt and I had the receiver and ECS on then when I remembered to do the range check so I turned off the transmitter and booted again this time pointing in screen so I was given the transmitt option and select no. But then the prop started to rotate because I had previously had the throttle full down so ESC was activated and when I came in now the second time with the transmitter on but transmitt off and was to do the range check I had throttle 2 or 3 dents up and the prop started to spinn. After that I'm very careful how the throttle is set and the right procedure to do the range check with an electric plane. I have a Castle Creations ICE 100 ESC in the plane where this happened.

/Bo
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 PM
FenderBean

what is a good number for the range check as far as a good signal I havent seen much on this feature on the forums. Im running twin 14 channels on a power box, which switches between best receiver.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Dick T.

I presume you are referring to distance from the plane. If at an unfamiliar flying site I go out about 50-60 long paces which puts me around 120-150 feet. On my home field I have a reference marker about the same distance.

If in a new plane I may go out a little further with engine running, motor if electric. If no failsafe occurs I consider it a go. Occasionally I perform the same check on existing planes to insure they are still good.

A lot of control loss at our home field would be prevented with range checking but some folks don't want to be bothered. It is their loss.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Silent-AV8R

I would still like to see the emprical relationship between low power or antenna off (72MHz) ground range and full power in flight range. In the case above using 120 to 150 feet as an indication of acceptable range, would 115 feet be OK or not? What about 100 feet? Where is the break point and how is it determined? Taken the other direction, since all ground range checks will eventually fail why is it safe to fly at all??

I know we have all had it beaten into us over the years, but if you want some fun talk to an antenna or RF engineer and tell them what we do. I have. The looks on their faces are usually priceless.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Dick T.

Actually the distance I mentioned is a comfort zone for me and has been for years, even with 72mhz. There have been instances where a new 72mhz ship's running engine initiated fail safe under 50 feet. After some equipment checks and mounting location changes the 100+ feet was achieved and safely flown.

Irregardless of some engineering gibberish I have not had an in flight equipment failure in over twenty plus years.

It works for me.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Silent-AV8R

The question remains, at what point does the range become an issue? You have had loss of range at 50 feet, but you have no idea how that translates to airborne range. Nobody does. The bottom line is that range checking is nothing more than a "feel-good" thing we have all been taught to do but nobody really can explain it.

Take the other side of the argument. How many times do we see reports of loss of an aircraft that includes the statement that a range check was done both before and after and it was fine in both tests.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The question remains, at what point does the range become an issue? You have had loss of range at 50 feet, but you have no idea how that translates to airborne range. Nobody does. The bottom line is that range checking is nothing more than a ''feel-good'' thing we have all been taught to do but nobody really can explain it.

Take the other side of the argument. How many times do we see reports of loss of an aircraft that includes the statement that a range check was done both before and after and it was fine in both tests.
I couldn't agree more. However getting less than 50 feet when my norm is 120-150 feet means I 'm not going to fly until I hit my comfort zone. Of course a range check isn't a true test but it can alert you to a potential problem.

Years ago there were good technical pages in RC magazines that enlightened readers to our equipment's inner workings. Many now could care less, they just buy it, fly it and throw it away when it breaks.

The mysteries of radio transmission are beyond my brain grade. I just do what works for me.