Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Gyro on Warbird rudder ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro on Warbird rudder ?

I am in the process of installing a gyro on the rudder of my giant AT-6 Texan. While takeoffs are fine, rollouts after landing are a disaster. It wants to ground loop and drag a wing tip every time. The gyro that I am using is one that is intended for aircraft ony, and has adjustable rate only. ( No heading hold ) It is a JR G 370 A, a pricey, but excellent aircraft gyro, so I am told. The aircraft is large, 100" +, weighs 30 lbs, and is powered by a G-62. All things considered; what would you suggest would be a good gain setting to start at ? I plan to use it for landings only, as the plane flys fine otherwise, but where in the landing pattern would you suggest that I turn the gyro on, to prevent ground looping after touchdown ?

Thank you for your consideration.

Ed
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Gyro on Warbird rudder ?

I use Gyros as do many others on Warbirds to control the rudder; usually, it's to control the Rudder and tail wheel on Takeoff to eliminate ground looping on rollout, then after the Plane is in the air you turn the Gyro off; I've not heard of too many using it for landing; I have tried it for landing but had all kinds of problems and this is because you have to turn the Gyro on when the Plane is perfectly lined up straight and center to the runway, and standing in the Pilot's Box or Station, is next to impossible to judge this; on take off, its fairly easy because you merely line your plane up straight and center on the Center Line, then turn on the Gyro and a way you go.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 AM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: dasintex

I use Gyros as do many others on Warbirds to control the rudder; usually, it's to control the Rudder and tail wheel on Takeoff to eliminate ground looping on rollout, then after the Plane is in the air you turn the Gyro off; I've not heard of too many using it for landing; I have tried it for landing but had all kinds of problems and this is because you have to turn the Gyro on when the Plane is perfectly lined up straight and center to the runway, and standing in the Pilot's Box or Station, is next to impossible to judge this; on take off, its fairly easy because you merely line your plane up straight and center on the Center Line, then turn on the Gyro and a way you go.
Ditto that experience. I don't use a rudder gyro but I did spend a lot of time setting one up on a friends Ziroli Stearman. It truly aided the pilot on takeoffs resulting in amazingly straight takeoff runs but no success on landings for the reasons mentioned by dasintex. I'd really be interested to hear how you make out.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Your gain may be set to high. #30% should be enough. You don't want it to touchie.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a helicopter pilot, and I have a lot of experience setting gyros on helicopters. Zero experience setting gyros up on airplanes. Given dasintex description of a gyro assisted take off, it sounds to me that the pilot had the gyro set-up on heading hold mode. If the gyro was to be taken off heading hold mode, and set on rate mode, the lining up part could be totally avoided, and the gyro would only pick up the jawing movements of the aircraft.

Again, just applying my helicopter experience to a verbal description of events. Take it for what it's worth.

Rafael
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Ed

" Given dasintex description of a gyro assisted take off, it sounds to me that the pilot had the gyro set-up on heading hold mode. If the gyro was to be taken off heading hold mode, and set on rate mode, the lining up part could be totally avoided, and the gyro would only pick up the jawing movements of the aircraft. " - Rafael

I believe that you are correct Rafael. The gyro that I am using is a JR G 370 A, a rate only gyro, for aircraft use only gyro. I does not have a Heading Hold option. If I use the rate gain adjust pot in moderation, I should not have any trouble overriding the gyro with the rudder stick, and also helping directional control with the aileron stick. I plan on making some high straight line flights over the runway first. What do you'all think ?

Ed