Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Is the technology used in digital servos adequately mature to warrant buying them?

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is the technology used in digital servos adequately mature to warrant buying them?

Old 08-21-2003, 03:57 AM
emearg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Is the technology used in digital servos adequately mature to warrant buying them?

I have been reading reports of all the problems that people have been experiencing with digital servos. There seems to have been a lot of reports of servos freezing, they require warming up and breaking in and they seem to have a relatively high failure rate...

Is the technology adequately mature to warrant spending a fortune on them or are we better off still buying top of the line coreless BB analog servos?

I am looking at them because I am interested in moving into large scale aerobatics, but have yet to be convinced they are the way to go.

I realise that only I can make this decision in terms of my modelling hobby, but am curious as to what other people think.

Cheers
Old 08-21-2003, 04:10 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Is the technology used in digital servos adequately mature to warrant buying them?

The high failure rate you're talking about is simply the companies getting used to what works and what doesn't. I'd hardly call the techknowldgy mature, but it's definitly useable. And digitals were almost purposely designed for large scale acrobatics. You have tons more control surface authority. If you want a rough comparison, imagine your control sticks were made out of rubber instead of metal. Would be annoying trying to fly something with rubber sticks wouldn't it? Digitals just use the full capabilities of the motors to hold the position you want, analogs are only doing it halfassed job of it =) The failure rate might have something to do with that.. The equipment is simply used harder.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:46 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been using digitals for some time now after building my first 25% plane. No problems............. but

I was talking with an employee from one of the manufacturers who said he did not feel comfortable with digitals yet. He was using high end analogs on his planes.

I think you'll take a chance with either type. There is always going to be good and bad. Just like with engines, planes, RX's etc.

I would also think the technology that the digital servos use is tried and true technology just adopted to work in a servo.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:52 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's not the technology, it's the implementation. You rarely hear of a high end servo - 8411 5945 etc fail because of the electronics (amp board as I guess it is called) but the same can not be said for some of the lesser expensive servos. The digitals do offer a degree of crispness you dont get in the analog servo but I still see no compelling reason to switch for normal applications in 27% size planes or under. In a big plane say 29% and up the great holding power can be a real advantage as you are trying to push a lot of weight around. The sad part is we have to pay so much money for them.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:57 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default servos

I would wait a bit. The prices are starting to come down. I think they will eventually replace the analog servo.