Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I got it! I got it! I got it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 03:34 AM
Kaoma
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got it! I got it! I got it!

I got my first radio for the airplanes...the JR 8103 Air ($379.95 NIB from the LHS. Got a lot of advice from you guys to get this one-thanks), and my first plane, the Slow Stick. I'm coming from the land RC toys, I have Super T-Maxxes all custom built, but after a number of years on the ground I got bit by the air bug and have grown wings.
Now I have to learn how to use the JR 8103 radio and to fly.
The only problem that I have is the supplied Tx battery that is weak and I would like to replace it with something much better (NiMH type) that would a perfect fit inside the Tx battery comparment. So if you have any sugestions please help me. I am planing to order the neck strap (JR) and the Rx case (JR) to protect my receiver from the crashes and the elements.
If you have any other info/sugestions let them fly...
Old 09-06-2003, 05:03 AM
Peter Khor

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy the TX, have mine for almost a year now and it's been great so far. Anyways, couple of pointers:

* You can use the DS811 and R700 in the SlowStick, but I'd recomend getting a lighter flt pack (eg, GWS Naro servo pack). Leave the DS811 for a larger plane/heli; the R700 is a great receiver and will even fit GWS warbirds w/o too much weight penalty.

* The supplied NiCad pack's pretty good, usually get 2hrs or more on it, use it up first then move on to another pack if you're not satisfied, imo.

* Lowe's has a very nice Al Case that is just a little larger than the JR one @ half the cost, gives you space to put a field charger in it, and basic tools in the back. Neck strap is nice to have.

* Now that you have all that fancy mixing ability, you can (at a later date) mix in Throttle to Elevator and Throttle to Rudder mix to compensate for the straight motor mount on the SlowStick (not necessary, but good practice on programming multi-point mix).

* Get a R6N rx, you can use one of the switch channel (or using a 4 channel RX, you can mix rudder so that one of the toggle switch operates channel 4) to run a 3rd servo for stuff such as 1) Aerial Photo 2) Releasing parachute men or paper airplanes from the slow stick (very easy to do, will post pic). Aerial photo, a 1.3MP PenCam works great; the SS will not carry a 35mm camera.

* fwiw did you know you can order a 75MHz module for your 8103? And you can also get R700 in 75MHz? Put that in your T-Maxx and you'll start wondering what to do with all the extra channels

* For you FIRST FLIGHTS, keep everything simple, all you want to concentrate on is Throttle and Right Stick (fwiw remember on the slow stick rudder servo plugs into Aileron Ch2), then mess with the other stuff later (eg, timers, mix, added functions).

All the best, and have fun!
Old 09-06-2003, 07:27 AM
Kaoma

Thanks for the advice Peter. I will take it slow. Have just learned how to type in the plane's name...