Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A (mild) rant about Tower

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:02 PM
PVenkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A (mild) rant about Tower

After using an Airtronics SP7 for nearly 15 years (not continuously, there was a 10-year break in there) I decided it was finally time to go with some more modern technology and get a computer radio. For a variety of reasons I picked a Royal Evo 9 (synthesized version).

I ordered just the transmitter, no servos or receivers, from Tower back in July. At the time they were showing 'late July' as the stock status.

As July drew to a close the stock status became 'early August', then 'mid-August', and today I see it's become 'late August'. Even worse, I've heard plenty of rumors that Hitec doesn't really expect this version of the radio to be in the US for another few months!

Now I realize Tower can't ship me something the manufacturer hasn't shipped to them. However, I do wish Tower could give a more accurate idea of WHEN they might ship this radio out. As it is I flat-out don't believe them anymore, at least not on this piece of merchandise.

I'm not really upset with Tower - I just want to get my grubby little paws on my new radio!
Old 08-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Happens with more then radios I'm afraid, for some reason companies always have problems with getting things done on time, oh well, just got to live with it.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:36 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not towers fault. They put on the site the date they are told. When the date gets changed, it is because the mfg moves the date because they can't meet production.

You have two choices, wait, or don't wait. There are lots of good radios out there.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:40 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't always put the date they are told. They might "fib" a bit. Wouldn't you to get orders ahead of the competition?. Just my thoughts. I have seen other things online, like "specials" that were sold out, but on sites for months, just to get your interest.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:19 AM
jchuston

Considering that Tower imports (to the US) Futaba (and therefore Hitec) as well as OS products...so I have heard...any way that you get a Futaba, Hitec, or OS product is through Tower...so they really have no competition...if you are able to find it somewhere else and Tower doesn't have it, then the "other" place purchased them from Tower before Tower ran out. This is what I have heard from several shop owners. If someone owns a Futaba, Hitec, or OS (along with others) product, it came through Tower...unless you know someone who knows someone who gets them from Japan just for you...or your uncle's cousin's brother's sister's niece's 3rd cousin (twice removed) owns a shop that is the sole importer to Botswana and they ordered one for you...
Old 08-22-2003, 01:30 AM
Mark_O74
My Feedback: (1)

jchuston that may be true for Futaba and OS but Hitec is not exclusively distributed by Tower(aka Great Planes).

Considering that Tower imports (to the US) Futaba (and therefore Hitec) as well as OS products
Tower (aka Great Planes, Hobbico) does import Futaba. Futaba and Hitec are in no way associated except for both using negative shift receivers and have a compatible trainer system.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:37 AM
jchuston

Mark-

Like I said, I have heard...I am only repeating..maybe I misunderstood, but I was under the understanding that Hitec was being manufactured by Futaba...kinda like (again, as I have been told, but seems to make sense) JR and Airtronics are made by the same company...

Aren't Magnum Engines also made by OS?? that is why I stated that "alond with other [manufacturers]" because there are so many that are related...
Old 08-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Mark_O74

I believe you have been mislead. Why would Futaba and Hitec be made by the same company? Same for Airtronics and JR? Futaba and Hitec both use negative shift in the US and Airtronics and JR both use postive shift. Thats pretty much the only things the same.

OS engines are mostly made in Japan, Magnum in China if they were made by the same company why manufacter them in different countries.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:07 AM
jchuston

I agree with your thinking Mark, but likewise, why does General Motors manufacture Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, Olds, Buick... Not all are made in the same factory.

Cannot explain what I am not sure of...like I said...I have "heard"...I haven't "researched" just trying to give the guy a reason why Tower isn't in a desperate situation...if Tower is not the sole distributor of that particular radio, then my excuse is not valid...but if they were the sole distributor in the US (as they are with several popular hobby product lines) then my excuse is valid...

In the end, THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:17 AM
Mark_O74

Cannot explain what I am not sure of...like I said...I have "heard"...I haven't "researched" just trying to give the guy a reason why Tower isn't in a desperate situation
So if you haven't "researched" and just tell the guy what rumors you have "heard" aren't you just making an excuse for Tower?

I agree that Tower does not have realistic arrivial dates on merchandise that is not in stock, I never backorder anything from them for this reason.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:27 AM
jchuston

well, since I said that I was making an excuse, maybe I should rephrase that...if Tower is the sole distributor of this radio in the United States of America, then this could be one reason why they seem to not be in a hurry to get to product in ahead of their competitors...

Does this sound any better???
Old 08-22-2003, 03:00 AM
cassidy
My Feedback: (5)

Default Delayed delivery

Hitec is made in Korea and has no relationship to Futaba.
Hitec bought the German company (Multiplex) that manufactures the ELVO. Hitec is the owner and importer. There are numerous Distributors and Tower is one of them.