Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

How should the Pinion Gear and the Spur Gear mesh?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH GEEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should the Pinion Gear and the Spur Gear mesh?

Should they be loose? Like when 1 gear starts moving after being stopped, that gear can move a little bit before making contact w/ the 2nd gear's teeth?

Old 11-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How should the Pinion Gear and the Spur Gear mesh?

All gears have some "Wink". This prevents them from binding, espically when they get hot from opration. A lot of slop in the gear mesh is not desirable as it means you are not getting full tooth contact.

Are we talking about a Servo?

Don
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH GEEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not a servo...
The gear on my 22T 2200KV Brushless motor, and the gear that is on the Driveshaft? of my 1:10 scale Exceede RC Monster truck..
Old 11-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I set up my helicopters by "crushing" a piece of paper between the main gear and pinion. Once everything is tight, I pull out the paper and it comes out with the tooth mark creases of the pinion and main gear. I got that tip a long time ago and could not provide credit where is due. Do not know if this is applicable to cars.

Rafael
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc I set up my helicopters by "crushing" a piece of paper between the main gear and pinion. Once everything is tight, I pull out the paper and it comes out with the tooth mark creases of the pinion and main gear. I got that tip a long time ago and could not provide credit where is due. Do not know if this is applicable to cars. Rafael
Yes, does apply to meshing of all car gear sets where there is user adjustment available, otherwise preset gaps.
The "Paper Feeler Guage" method has been published for many years in all Kyosho &Tamiya GP carmanuals, example attached.
(. Extremely important with Bell housing and main spur gear on GP cars to protect clutch and plastic gear train.}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26908.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1683864