RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR Century 7 Radio System - good deal or not?

Old 08-23-2003, 07:44 AM
ranchpig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR Century 7 Radio System - good deal or not?

@@@@ has a listing for this
It's Item@@@@@@@@

TX Specification Summary:

Dustproof Open gimbals with adjustable stick length

Ratcheted electrical double trims

Plug-in RF module (the module will do FM or PCM and is Narrowband)

DSC (Direct Servo Control)

Dual Purpose Power and Voltmeter

Neck Strap Attachment

V-Tail mixer

Servo Reversing on all channels

Servo end point adjustments for Rudder, Aileron, Elevator and Retract Switch

Rudder/Aileron Mixing

Dual Rate and Exponential Controls for Aileron, Rudder, Elevator

Buddy Box/Trainer Switch

RX Specification Summary:

Mini FM/SSS RX, High Selectivity (8kHz/50dB)

Narrowband

Size 1.43" x 2.44" x .82"

Plug in crystal system

Servo Specification Summary:

Type JRS101

Torque 42.75 oz-in

Speed, .5s for 90 deg.

Weight, 1.4oz

It's NIB and apparently gold stickered and includes an extra receiver.
Is this a good product for someone who's new and going to be getting 4 new planes... it seems to be from the 80's and what's a fair price to offer?

I'm so new at this i have a new car smell behind the ears
Old 08-23-2003, 01:19 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a good radio, but not for multi models. It's not computerized and does not have multi model memory which means you will have to reset the reverse switches, trims and throw rates every time you fly a different model. At some point, the inevitable will happen and you will forget to set one of the many switches and will end up crashing a model.

I also noticed that both you and the person selling the radio on Ebay are in Colorado. I know it's a pretty good sized state but I hope you and he are not one in the same. Advertising Ebay items on this forum isn't exactly following the rules.

John
Old 08-24-2003, 05:44 AM
ranchpig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for info...

Yea, you're probably right about the switches etc. That would be something i'd do. But if i could pick it up for $50 bucks or so do you think that's a good deal?

No i'm not the same... i have no idea where evergreen co is

Also.. i have another question. I just bought four planes and a whole bunch of goodies. Inc. was a Futaba Conquest t6NFK 6ch. It's pretty old i suppose but it didn't have any instructions with it. What does the "trainer switch" do? Is that for hooking up one of those cable things and making it a trainer box? Also do you have to have same boxes to do the trainer/buddy box thing? Do all futaba's work together? If so should i get a Computer Futaba and use this as a trainer for my son?
Old 08-25-2003, 06:58 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For $50.00, yes it would be a good deal as long as you understand you will more than likely need to replace both the transmitter and receiver batteries due to age. Figure this to cost about $50.00-$60.00 on top of whatever you could buy the system for.

A trainer switch is used to electronically hand off the control of the aircraft to another transmitter connected to the primary transmitter through a cable. Yes, the two transmitters need to be of the same manufacturer. AM Futaba's work together, but not with FM Futaba's and vice versa. No, a Futaba transmitter will not work with the JR. They use a completely different style plug.

John
Old 08-26-2003, 04:16 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One other thing. Century 7 radios use lots of metal in their cases... they are sturdy (understatement!) but weigh a *ton* when compared with most of the newer offerings.

I had two of them. One died due to corrosion, the other one developed a short somewhere internally and stops transmitting RF when held at a certain angle. I used it as a buddy box for a while, but have shelved it as its too damn heavy!

You'd be better suited by getting one of the inexpensive 6-7 channel computer radios. You can save some $$ by picking up one here on RCU - there are always folks looking to sell off their old radios when they upgrade.

As mentioned above the C7 isn't a multi-model radio. Resetting switches and retrimming every time you fly another plane is a pain. At some point you'll probably end up purchasing another radio to replace (or supplement) the C7 - and where are the savings in that?

However. If you can get that package for around $50 bucks I'd take it. $25 bucks apiece for two brand-new 7-channel receivers is nothing to sneeze at