Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

8FG Update 4.1 Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM
sbenter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8FG Update 4.1 Question

If Futaba now gives you the option to change the low voltage alarm setting to accommodate other batteries in the Transmitter. Does that mean Futaba supports the use of Lipo/Life batteries in the transmitter? In this day and age why are they still using NMH Batteries for the transmitter beside the price....why?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:20 AM
peso

Default RE: 8FG Update 4.1 Question

In what way is Lipo better in a transmitter?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 AM
sbenter

The main reason I believe a Lipo battery is preferable is that I can fly all week on a single charge. I do understand that a Lipo battery in a transmitter under tasks the battery but the discharge rate of NMH or Nicd requires charging after every flying session.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 AM
peso

The older type of NiMh batteries discharged themself in a way that could be very irritating. But it is not so anymore. I don´t know if Futaba uses the old or the new type. I have a brand new 8FG so I will come to know. I like the uncritical charging of NiMh. And they have worked well for me in transmitters and for ignition. Why make it more complicated than necessary.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 AM
pilotpete2

The stock 1700mAh Nimh in my 8FG has been very good as far as self discharge goes. I think the big difference is that the Nimh cells used in the FG series radios are not "AA", but rather 4/5A size. More robust and lower self discharge. With some of the popular RC battery suppliers listing 2S low "C" rated batteries to fit these radios, Lipo is certainly an option.
FWIW, the stock battery (cycles at about 1800mAh) gives me about 7 hours of flying over a couple of weeks of use.
Last winter, I went exactly 3 months between charges and still totaled almost 5 hours of use. Not too shabby for Nimh[8D]
Just remember to reset the system timer when you recharge. Kinda like resetting the odometer at the gas station when you want to check your gas mileage
Good luck, and enjoy the radio.
Pete
Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 AM
JIMMYMUGUREL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Futaba distributor in Europe now sells FG-8, with battery LiIo 7.4V, 2800mA . http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10815091/tm.htm

Regards
Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
sbenter

If there selling the Transmitter in Europe with a Lipo battery I am sure the EPA in the US has made it cost prohibited. I would pay the extra cost to get a Lipo as standard equipment. I have replaced the NiMH battery with a Lipo and will never go back.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Herbs_007

The cost of a 7.4v 2500Mah 8c LiPo to fit a 8FG is about $18.00 on Ebay, the cost of replacing or getting another Nimh futaba tx batt is about $60 to $70.00 at Tower. Plus Lipos will last about 2 to 3 months between charges, its highist voltage at full charge is 8.2v, the standard Nimh is also 8.2v at full charge.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: sbenter If there selling the Transmitter in Europe with a Lipo battery I am sure the EPA in the US has made it cost prohibited. I would pay the extra cost to get a Lipo as standard equipment. I have replaced the NiMH battery with a Lipo and will never go back.
The low margins available on RXsystems do not make the risk of similar incidents to the recent
IPhone combusts in flight worthwhile.
Not to mentionthe number ofuserswho plug a standard wall charger into their TX
(forgetting?) that a Lipo had been inserted in place of a NiMH/NiCD.
Have had two sets on which to replace covers on the TX, plus some wiring, past few months ...

refer sub sections
"Lipo Batteries (Lithium Polymer) - (Risks of failure and fire = high.)" under
"Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs" and also
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM
JIMMYMUGUREL

Hi,

not Lipo,I wrote LiIo- Lithium-Ion