Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Counterfeit Spektums ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Counterfeit Spektums ??

Everybydy should see this.

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...m_content=DX7s

Attention: Horizon Hobby has confirmed that all Spektrum Products being sold by KoKo Technology are counterfeit. We consider it a danger to use these products, waive all liability and will not support any warranty or service in regards to them.

Edwin

Found some more info at:
http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...ontaining-same
Old 12-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Pippin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Counterfeit Spektums ??

http://cyclonetoy.diytrade.com/sdp/4...Radio_set.html
Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The radios are not counterfeit nor copies, likely back door deliveries direct from the manufacturer (JR?) or a third party distributor. The order indicates the filing by Horizon was to protect their exclusive right to distribute Spektrum products (worldwide or US is unclear).
Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.usitc.gov/ Interesting!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

http://www.usitc.gov/ Interesting!!!
I am not finding any reference to RC receivers in the above link.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Andika

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

The radios are not counterfeit nor copies, likely back door deliveries direct from the manufacturer (JR?)
COUNTERFEIT!!! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454738

Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Dick T.

Nothing in that thread proves the radios are counterfeit. Internal photos show varied components and assembly differences which occur on any electronic product. Same components can come from different sources and assembly workers route wiring and make solder connections differently. I've seen it in name brand consumer electronics. The whimsical game playing in the thread proves there are minor visual differences but defines nothing.

It costs a lot of time and money to copy an existing product and the low sales volume of a hobby product would prompt questions why anyone would invest the time and money. I contend these may be back door surplus or QC rejects, parts or whole, commonplace with Chinese manufacturers.

The Spektrum Rep's comments are to protect sales and do nothing to assist a potential buyer in spotting a non-authorized product. If large numbers of these non-authorized units are in the sales pipeline without some sort of tell-tale identification DX6i buyers may get screwed and never know until asking for service. Imagine a buyers great disappointment with the product, and Spektrum, when that occurs. I suppose the Rep's comments will make them feel much better.

Purchasing from an authorized dealer minimizes fraud potential but does not exclude it. I know about businesses that order large quantities to improve their discount then sell off part of the inventory to smaller non-authorized shops. Where is Spektrum's buyer protection there?

This is a problem for Spektrum and they certainly have a right to shut it down but not at the buyers expense.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:21 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Fraud is every CONSUMERS problem too, not just manufacturers. The counterfeit industry is huge, everything from microchips to ball bearings to full-scale aircraft parts. Purchasing needs to be done through authorized channels if you want to get the real deal. If you don't want the real deal, purchasing counterfeit products is a disservice to the manufacturers, but more importantly to OTHER CONSUMERS.

The KoKo products were proven to be counterfeit. Fortunately they are still very easy to see as such visually.

Caveat emptor!

Andy
Old 12-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

The KoKo products were proven to be counterfeit. Fortunately they are still very easy to see as such visually.

Caveat emptor!

Andy
And how so? As I mentioned previously the minor manufacturing differences I see in the photos provide nothing conclusive. This is becoming a smarty pants guessing game where the potential consumer still does not know what to look for to insure they are buying an 'authorized product'. An authorized dealer is no guarantee either as some of the dim bulbs I have visited haven't a clue of what is in the box.

Counterfeiting is a serious offense but it is common that consumers are the last to know because legitimate businesses immediately go into stealth mode and let consumers fend for themselves. There is a lot of money to be made on both sides by keeping quiet. A great way to treat customers, past, present and future.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Caveat emptor!

Andy
And how so? As I mentioned previously the minor manufacturing differences I see in the photos provide nothing conclusive. This is becoming a smarty pants guessing game where the potential consumer still does not know what to look for to insure they are buying an 'authorized product'. An authorized dealer is no guarantee either as some of the dim bulbs I have visited haven't a clue of what is in the box.

Counterfeiting is a serious offense but it is common that consumers are the last to know because legitimate businesses immediately go into stealth mode and let consumers fend for themselves. There is a lot of money to be made on both sides by keeping quiet. A great way to treat customers, past, present and future.
You are dead on there.

If the Spektrum organisation can't (or won't) give tips on what a customer should look for, it seems there is only one guaranteed way to ensure not ending up with a Fake Spektrum. Buy a Futaba, or Hitec, or some other brand instead.

There have been plenty of cases over the years (of many products, not only RC related) where Official distributors have ended up with "fakes" to sell also. Some were intentional, others weren't

This is making me wonder if it os some method of the Spektrum organisation trying to get out of potential liabilities for claims.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:03 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glade I did not buy a Spectrum system. A few of the brands are better. Best to do a lot of reading before you buy! Capt,n
Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 PM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

FUTABA is the answer!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually. I heard the fake spektrum works well and a whole lot cheaper
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 52jaws

FUTABA is the answer!
To what question?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:25 PM
wesaysoracing

to a crash ?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: 52jaws

FUTABA is the answer!
Futaba is certainly an option, but Spektrum, JR, Hitec, Airtronics, etc., are also equally good choices, as well.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure why we're all hating on Spektrum. My DX5e and AR6110e have been a rock solid combo and don't seem to care that they're being used in a touring car.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:00 PM
rexbirk

Counter Fitting hurts us all. Why would anyone want to spend large sums of money to develop anything only to have someone reverse engineer it and start producing it. Patents are there to protect the rights of the developer. Yes counter fits are cheaper but think about the long term effects.

It seems that a lot of this counter fitting happens in one particular Country (not mentioning names) that does not seem to care if they are stealing from someone else.

Without protection many of the innovations we enjoy would never have happened!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: rexbirk

Counter Fitting hurts us all. Why would anyone want to spend large sums of money to develop anything only to have someone reverse engineer it and start producing it. Patents are there to protect the rights of the developer. Yes counter fits are cheaper but think about the long term effects.

It seems that a lot of this counter fitting happens in one particular Country (not mentioning names) that does not seem to care if they are stealing from someone else.

Without protection many of the innovations we enjoy would never have happened!
I couldn't agree more however the same question applies as to why anyone would spend money to produce a counterfeit system with a limited market? I still think these are back door surplus which the unnamed county is known for.

Since the thread appears nearly abandoned and no proof of counterfeit products nor method of identifying non-authorized, it is still a guessing game for the consumer.

Caveat emptor when shopping a DX6i.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 AM
rexbirk

Good point.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 PM
cutaway

The market isn't just low volume hobby stuff. This 2.4 tech has made its way big time into factory floor automation systems where years ago machine controls had miles of copper run. With the price of labor and wire being so expensive these days, wireless control has been a massive cost saver on initial installs and allows for much faster assembly line retooling.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 PM
aussiesteve

Yes, you are correct, the 2.4 communication technology we use has been around for a long time in automation, Futabe had it in that arena for decades before any RC related items came out with it (for the general public)

Based on personal experience in both the critical production arena and in RC related aplications, I don't know that I would trust any of my critical production processes to any of the Spektrum items that are sold for RC planes (Same as I no longer trust my planes to it)
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Yes, you are correct, the 2.4 communication technology we use has been around for a long time in automation, Futabe had it in that arena for decades before any RC related items came out with it (for the general public)

Based on personal experience in both the critical production arena and in RC related aplications, I don't know that I would trust any of my critical production processes to any of the Spektrum items that are sold for RC planes (Same as I no longer trust my planes to it)
Most of the 110 members of my RC Club have JR/Spektrum equipment. There are some Hitec and Futaba, as well. We have had no problems with any of these radios. I travel to various RC events around the NE and I do not find anyone having problems with JR/Spektrum. I will continue to use and recommend any of these manufacturers' products. JR/Spektrum is not a cheap brand and is very competitive, price wise and feature wise, compared to any other brand.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: 378

Not sure why we're all hating on Spektrum. My DX5e and AR6110e have been a rock solid combo and don't seem to care that they're being used in a touring car.
That's not an airplane that can get too far away in a hurry or lose control and crash into the ground at high speed.

Comparing a car radio to an air radio is like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: cutaway

The market isn't just low volume hobby stuff. This 2.4 tech has made its way big time into factory floor automation systems where years ago machine controls had miles of copper run. With the price of labor and wire being so expensive these days, wireless control has been a massive cost saver on initial installs and allows for much faster assembly line retooling.
My reference is to the low volume in the hobby industry. Basically why would anyone spend the time and money to clone the DX6i? Cobbling together a transmitter from discarded, rejected or readily available sub-contractor parts (or a computer, cell phone, tablet, etc.) is common in China.

Horizon/Spektrum are rightfully challenging the distribution of these 'non-authorized' units. If the Chinese are willing to follow the rules these will stop.

For Horizon's folks not say how the units were 'proven to be counterfeit' is nonsense, leaving customers completely in the dark.