RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR vs. Futaba

Old 08-24-2003, 04:57 PM
hocky98

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

I am brand new to the hobby and I'm looking to get a radio that I will appreciate for a long time to come. I have done some research and feel that a 6 channel PCM computer radio is for me (i.e. Futaba 6XAPS.) Is this a quality radio and how about a JR? Everyone in my club uses a Futaba and talk down about the JR. Which is better?
Old 08-24-2003, 07:20 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

This is a Chevy vs. Ford type of question: Everyone has opinions, and preferences.

Both work very well.

Personally: I don't use any of the big names anymore, but if I had to choose between Futaba or JR, I would choose Futaba, since I don't trust the single conversion ABC&W technology JR uses for their non-PCM receivers.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Joatmon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

Good advice from Strato.

BTW, I have a Rock in the driveway
Old 08-24-2003, 11:05 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

Yeah, I always though that having an all-single convertion line of receivers was odd to say the least. I've also found that Futaba programming is easier. Though all the die-hard JR loyals will be quick to disagree with me. If everyone at your club flies Futaba, buy Futaba and save yourself a lot of trouble/ribbing/etc
Old 08-25-2003, 09:07 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

I would go JR only since I don't like the program of the 9ZWII.

JR 10X owner...
Old 08-25-2003, 03:40 PM
3D Joy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

Go with what your club uses. It will be a lot easier to get some instruction and plugging your radio to the instructors ones.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:00 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

Here come the manufacture wars, again...

Seriously, just as the first post pointed out, they both work very well. I will how ever throw in my 2 cents for JR. I prefer JR because of ease of programming and a few other little things. Now, on the other hand, if JR stops making their equipment on 50MHz, I will then go back to Futaba. But at the time I switched from Futaba to JR, JR offered a better radio (more features, etc) for the money. Now that Futaba has released some of their new products (the 9c, etc) they are worth a closer look from me.

You see, it's all a personal preference thing when it comes to radios. I think 3D JOY had the best answer, if your club and friends are all using Futaba it's going to be a lot easier to get help when it's needed. Ask around what channels are most in use at your club so you can stay away from them (no sense in getting to the field and finding 3 other guys on the same frequency waiting to fly). Also check to see if there's any interference on any one (or more) channels at your field and stay away from those also.

No matter what 'brand' radio you end up buying, the bottom line is for you to be satisfied with it and it will do the things you want it to do, now and in the future as you grow into the hobby more.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:18 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

Originally posted by 3D Joy
Go with what your club uses. It will be a lot easier to get some instruction and plugging your radio to the instructors ones.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! rcpilotjae gives you some very good advice here as well.

For what it's worth, the brands break down differently between the low/mid/high ranges. Their product cycles are different, so each one tends to leapfrog the other--but not by much.

Right now, the best mass-market 6-channel in my mind is the Airtronics RD6000. The 6XAS is becoming long in the tooth, and doesn't compare feature-wise or in terms of usability and easy of use. Neither does the 662.

I have no brand loyatly, and am suspicious of anyone that does with regards to radio equipment. I use the gear that gives me the best combination of value and performance, which means I've got a bit of everything. Each manufacturer has its stellar products and its underwhelming products. There'd be more stellar products and fewer underwhelming flops if people exhibited less brand loyalty.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:57 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR vs. Futaba

Im a JR guy, 10x and 8103. The single conversion are as good as any other rx out there. I have 8 of them right now in planes and Ive used them in gas planes also with not one glitch.

BUT, with that said, I agree, go with what the others have in the club, UNLESS, you can figure out the radio yourself and wont need any help, then go for it. Its all personal preference.