Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Amp draw from Futaba

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Amp draw from Futaba

Going to have 3 S3004, 4 S3010, and one Hitec retract servo along with a gear sequencer. I want to get a BEC to use with my 3300mah 3S Lipo to run it and the gas ignition, so I need to know what kind of amp draw I can expect off this radio setup. It is going into a warbird, so no fancy stunts, other than high speed passes.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
acdii

Default RE: Amp draw from Futaba

oh, forgot to mention, 8 channel RX also.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Skaluf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to get around ten flights with that setup. This depends on the size of the air plane though.

Steve
ORIGINAL: acdii

Going to have 3 S3004, 4 S3010, and one Hitec retract servo along with a gear sequencer. I want to get a BEC to use with my 3300mah 3S Lipo to run it and the gas ignition, so I need to know what kind of amp draw I can expect off this radio setup. It is going into a warbird, so no fancy stunts, other than high speed passes.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not hook up a Wattmeter or an H9 Current Meter, between the Rx battery and the BEC, run all the controls, and see how much current you are drawing. You can also do this between any individual servo and the Rx.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 AM
acdii

I dont have a BEC yet. I need to get an idea what the amp draw could be so I can order the correct one. Locally I can pick up a 3 AMP bec, but I dont think that will be enough.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 AM
BuschBarber

I dont have a BEC yet. I need to get an idea what the amp draw could be so I can order the correct one. Locally I can pick up a 3 AMP bec, but I dont think that will be enough.
I use Castle Creations BEC's. They have a 10a BEC and a 20a BEC Pro. I use the BEC Pro as a Voltage Regulator, with a separate LiPo Rx battery, in one of my aerobatic planes. It is electric and has a separate motor battery. The aircraft is large enough where the extra battery weight is not significant. I have other aircraft that use unregulated LiFe Rx batteries.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
acdii

I considered a LiFe pack for this, but would still need a 4 cell pack for the ignition.   Since I have 4 3300mah 25C 3S packs for my EP planes, I could always use one for this plane too. I have 3 Gen Ace packs and an Eflite pack with a lower C rating. I was thinking of using that one since I rarely use it. 

So, will the 10Amp be sufficient? The draw on the Ignition is under 600 Ma at full throttle.   
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
BuschBarber

I considered a LiFe pack for this, but would still need a 4 cell pack for the ignition. Since I have 4 3300mah 25C 3S packs for my EP planes, I could always use one for this plane too. I have 3 Gen Ace packs and an Eflite pack with a lower C rating. I was thinking of using that one since I rarely use it.

So, will the 10Amp be sufficient? The draw on the Ignition is under 600 Ma at full throttle.
I have never measured the current draw of the Ignition Module on my DA50 or Fuji 32ei. I would guess that it is less than 10a. I was more concerned about the current draw from all the Digital servos. Some Ignition Modules only like 4.8v, so you end up using a Voltage Regulator or BEC even with LiFe.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM
acdii

Well, after reading up on the DLE20 ignition, I discovered it works best @ 4.8v, so foregoing the BEC, going to get two separate packs instead, a 4.8v and LiFe for the RX.  Probably a 1000mah 4 cell and 1800 mah for the RX, or whatever I find close to those ratings. 

I doubt there is a Bec with dual output voltage that would be worth getting for this, just to keep from buying the packs, probably will be less expensive with just the packs. 
Old 12-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are also those BECs designed to plug into the receiver and provide power to the gas ignition from the receiver batteries. I think Troy Built sells them and I have only seen favorable comments on them. I am considering this for my current warbird build and using LiFe batteries for the receiver.

-Ed
Old 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ed,
That's called an IBEC, it also provides an opto coupled ignition kill function and the new version of the Wike IBEC from Troy Built Models has an adjustable output for the ignition[8D]
Pete
Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
acdii

Picked up a pair of packs, 4 cell 2000 mah nimh and 1800 mah 5 Cell nimh, This should be a good start for now, can always add a bec and life later, but for now I can get the radio working and balance out the plane.