Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help with servo selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Gypsy56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with servo selection

I'm looking for two mid-size servos to do dual aileron duty on a sport .40 size airplane. (Sig Kavalier with Enya SS45)
I hope to find something one ounce or less with enough grunt to handle this aircraft without fear of stripping gears.
Do you think Hitec HS85BB or Futaba S-3115s would do the trick? It seems there are not many choices in this area or maybe I'm overlooking some. I really do not want to use standard servos because of the extra weight. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ed
Old 12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with servo selection

ORIGINAL: Gypsy56

I'm looking for two mid-size servos to do dual aileron duty on a sport .40 size airplane. (Sig Kavalier with Enya SS45)
I hope to find something one ounce or less with enough grunt to handle this aircraft without fear of stripping gears.
Do you think Hitec HS85BB or Futaba S-3115s would do the trick? It seems there are not many choices in this area or maybe I'm overlooking some. I really do not want to use standard servos because of the extra weight. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ed
I would think those servos would be borderline for a 40 size aircraft. What about the HS225?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Gypsy56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HS225 was on my list, but I've heard a lot of bad reports on it.
Any personal experience with it?
I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again
Ed
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gypsy56

The HS225 was on my list, but I've heard a lot of bad reports on it.
Any personal experience with it?
I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again
Ed
I have an Eflite Beaver and an Eflite Extra 300 each using Hitec HS225MG servos. The Eflite Extra 300 has an Eflite 46 electric motor running on one 5S 5000mah battery. It will easily handle 3D flying running an APC 14x7 E prop. The aircraft weighs about 5lbs. The Beaver has an AXI 2826/12 motor running on a single 4S 4000mah pack. I have flown it with and without Eflite floats.

Never a problem. I have the BEC set to 6v.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:12 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Your servo choices do seem quite marginal, and for a .40 size sport/trainer type model such as yours using standard sized servos such as Futaba S148 or S3004 servos would be a good idea.

Karol