Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec 7955tg servos junk

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:15 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec 7955tg servos junk

I have 15-nib of these guys...and because Hitec will not do what is right and recall there design flaw and poor Q.A.,
the customer is the one to deal with it....

It is my duty as a decent human being a fellow hobbiest, that I need to tell others to not make the
mistake I have.....

Hitec put out a post on their web stating that it is a Signal issue..And that it is due to signal voltage drop
on long distance wires.....This isn't true......

It is due to conflicting signals sent to the pot....and causes jitters....and will eventually burn out the pot
and it will ALWAYS jitter or cause a crash and possibly kill someone.....

28lb plane flying at over 70mph..., go out of control. One can use there imagination...

Here is the FULL story...
http://www.Please type in F*L*Y*I*N*G*G*I*A*N*T*S/forums/showthread.php?t=39756&page=231#post1615627

Do not use the * when adding the words to forum address....
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
driller2948

Default RE: Hitec 7955tg servos junk

I have three of them never had a problem! Sorry to hear, can you not just return them if NIB?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
aussiesteve

The 79xx's are certainly a problem. I have a similar number of NIB 7955's to the OP sitting on the shelf that I won't use in any model I care about because of the issues that are being reported and that I have also experienced first hand. (I am slowly consuming them in a couple of buggies we have here just to get some use out of them)

I looked at one of the boxes just now and found that the only reference to output etc on it is to a 4.8v power source. Makes them a VERY expensive 18kg servo with poor response and poor centering.

For a company that pretty much owned the market not so long ago, they sure have gone backwards in my opinion.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the heads up. Had those in my Tower basket and removed them.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well the real issue has been with the Hitec 7950's on unregulated Li-Po power with longer extension leads. While some extensive investigation has gone on with that servo and some very knowledgeable folks have determined there are issues with the hardware on that servo, not many reports have been made about the 7955's.

I've got a bunch of those running on A123 batteries and haven't had a single issue.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Box them up and send them to me, I fly 15 of them w/o issues.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
driller2948

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Box them up and send them to me, I fly 15 of them w/o issues.
Ditto send me a few?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Guerra
My Feedback: (48)

Me to. I've got countless hours on them with no problems. Running unregulated A123 and Futaba FASST receivers. I'll continue to purchase them as needed.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I really didn't want to post... but sometimes I can't control myself....

Just trying to get the facts.....

The subject says:
Hitec 7955tg sevos junk
and then you say
I have 15-nib of these guys
So...you have not used them... but they are junk? I'm a bit confused by that.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:19 PM
driller2948

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

The subject says:
Hitec 7955tg sevos junk
and then you say
Ok I just lost control myself

Kochj has 15 nib and aussiesteve has a similar number if each 7955 servos! Each servo cost $119.00 each. How much money do both Kochj and aussiesteve have [sm=72_72.gif]invested in Hitec Junk?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: driller2948

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

The subject says:
Hitec 7955tg sevos junk
and then you say
Ok I just lost control myself

Kochj has 15 nib and aussiesteve has a similar number if each 7955 servos! Each servo cost $119.00 each. How much money do both Kochj and aussiesteve have [sm=72_72.gif]invested in Hitec Junk?
I have been using Hitec servos for many years, without any problems. The service has been great. In all fairness, though, I have only been using Hitec Digitals for a few years. They are the 59xx series. I have had no problems with these either.

Every servo manufacturer has had issues, at one time or another, with a particular model of servo. If there is a particular servo model that is less than desirable, don't buy it. If you believe that your model servo is not to your liking, sell it to someone who wants it. I cannot support the blanket statement that Hitec servos are junk.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 PM
aussiesteve

Some clarification in my case.
I counted them last night.
I have 12 7955's NIB in my shop. I purchased 16 of them about a year ago for a project but have not got around to that project yet. (It's a 47% Bipe).

I also have the following in various regularly flown airframes (there are a total of 3 regular and 2 occassional pilots that fly my fleet)
16 x 5955's.
15 x 645's
8 x 985's.
16 x 7955's.
a LOT of smaller servos in various combat planes, pylon planes, Helis and fun flyers (I couldn't be bothered doing a complete count of them and each specific model but it is approximatley 60 in total)
That is just the HiTec ones.

There are also 23 Futaba Digitals (The only Futabas I have are Digitals - 9157's, 9075's and 9074's), 18 JR Digitals (again, the only JR's I have are Digitals - Mostly 8711's) and 36 Dymond / Hyperion servos (Also digitals). I have yet to fly the 8 Savox I have purchased to try for an upcoming project.

So yes. You ask about an investment in Servos? it is a lot of cash for sure. Why do I have so many Hitecs? Because for years, they were the only brand I would use as they represented great value for money and performed very well indeed. I pick the correct servo for the project based on what is available at the time.

I also have a "test rig" that comprises of an Aluminium mount screwed to a bench and a pulley rigged up over the edge of the bench. I connect a cable at 1cm frmo the centre of the servo shaft, run it over the pulley and connect that to a bucket that is filled (or part filled) with water or sand (depending on the claimed strength of the servo). I then hook my Hitec Servo tester to that and cycle the servo under load. The arm also has a 300mm long wire attached to it that acts as a pointer for "zero return" reference. (I will try to take some pictures of this tonight if you can't grasp the concept). Basically the servo gets tested under increasing loads and is checked for accuracy in returning to centre. Accuracy in repeatedly travelling to a specific point and total load capability. (Often expressed by the sellers as XXX Kg / Cm - or YYY Oz / In).

When these newer 79XX series first came under the spotlight (to me) about the jittering etc Nearly 2 years ago, I started to take notice. I had a couple of planes with the 7955's on them and noticed they had a jitter around centre while switched on a sitting in the pitts. At that time, We were told that it is not an issue and the advice given to me by the HiTec reps was to broaden the deadband a little and it would stop. Or put up with it because it won't do it in flight. I trialled some of the later 7955's on the bench and found the issues mentioned in these threads. I use the tester to cycle the servo for 1000 movements to do these tests.

Since then, I have tried a couple of other brands of servos and here is what I have found.

None of the other brands mentioned above have a "stationary jitter".
The Futaba Digitals have significantly better centering and reeatability on travel than the HiTec 7955's.
The JR Digitals are similar to the HiTecs on centring and travel repeatability to the HiTec 7955's but without the jitter (until their gear trains wear)
The later Hitec 7955's's do indeed develop a jitter in flight fairly quickly. By broadening the deaband, I lose centering ability and repeatability of response to the point of them being no better than the "China cheapies").

What I have found is that by HiTec introducing issues for whatever reason (I am not an electronics guru so I will leave that discussion to those that are or who think they are) I searched for an alternative. Price has never been my decisidng factor when purchasing anything. Suitability for the task and value for money are my deciding factors. My pilots have also noticed the difference in how the planes fly, I even trialled this by not telling them I was making changes from one brand to another and they noticed straight away.

Will I go back to the 79xx Hitec servos? - Not likely any time soon.
Have the 59XX servos and the earlier pruchased one worked well for me? YES - a resounding positive yes.
Will I spend closer to $150 for an alternative to the 79xx's? - Yes I already am because they are a significantly better product.
Have I tried out some of the other brands I have not mentioned? - Yes I have and I won't use them because they are nowhere near as good as the sellers claim they are.
Could I do the fix that is suggested? probably but at the prices paid for a top end item, I don't see why I should need to.
What power do I run? In the smaller planes (26cc and a couple of 50cc), Unregulated 5 cell Eneloops, in the larger ones. Fromeco LiIons either through Smartfly Turbo Regs to 6.0v or through my Futaba s-Bus setup (a fairly new technology for me to use).

One final comment.
The brand I now use is the only brand that actually moves the stated load. The others will all stall by the time the stated load hits them. If a manufacturer claims that a servo is rated to 20kg/cm then it should at a minimum hold 20kg at 1cm out from the centre of the output shaft. and at least be able to move 19 or 19.5kg at that same location. There is only one brand I have found that repeatedly does that when being cycled for 1000 movements at full stated travel (60 degrees). But this thread isn't about that.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
driller2948

Very well stated, & you are very well invested in you projects! If you are interested in ever selling any of the 7955 let me know? My tolerances are not as delicate!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I am a retired Aerospace test engineer. In 2005 I was hired by RCU to test the best servos for a review.
I completed the tests. They were not published by RCU but they paid me for my work.
At the time the premier Hitec servo was the 5955 rated at 330 oz/in. I could barely get 200 oz/in out of it. Other than that it was a very impressive servo with titanium gears and a tight deadband.
The JR servos I tested would generally produce the advertised torque but would burn out quickly if loaded to their rated torque. Fortunately there was no practical way you could get to the rated torque.
I have the torque curves of the tests if you are interested. They are somewhat dated now.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: dirtybird I am a retired Aerospace test engineer. In 2005 I was hired by RCU to test the best servos for a review. I completed the tests. They were not published by RCU but they paid me for my work. At the time the premier Hitec servo was the 5955 rated at 330 oz/in. I could barely get 200 oz/in out of it. Other than that it was a very impressive servo with titanium gears and a tight deadband.
The JR servos I tested would generally produce the advertised torque but would burn out quickly if loaded to their rated torque. Fortunately there was no practical way you could get to the rated torque.
I have the torque curves of the tests if you are interested. They are somewhat dated now.
Be interested to learn what the criteria for testing was asunfortunately, direct comparisons are difficult.
Manufacturers use different ways of measurement to obtain their quoted values.
- like comparing apples with oranges..
FWIW Hitec RCD rate their servo torque at stall. [Typically holding torque is 2 -3 times that of the stall torque. Adjusting the speed of a digital servo via a programmer does not effect the torque.]
<dt>. Servo - JR - Warranty void most JR servos used above 4.8V
. Servo - FAQ : Servo Torque (How is it measured) and Conversion Kg.cm <> oz in
and for those that wish to do their own tests:
. Servo - FAQ : Torque Tester - DIY

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links</dt>
Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I measured stalled torque.
Rating holding power is pointless. I can make you a cheap servo with infinite holding power.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Subscribed
Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
TimBle

pretty sure they all measure their maximum torque, stalled. Its just that some will measure the maximum torque for the design a whereas another will measure that torque over a batch and sue the minimum stalled torque as a rating.
One is being overly optimistic while another is being realistic
Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I am a retired Aerospace test engineer. In 2005 I was hired by RCU to test the best servos for a review.
I completed the tests. They were not published by RCU but they paid me for my work.
At the time the premier Hitec servo was the 5955 rated at 330 oz/in. I could barely get 200 oz/in out of it. Other than that it was a very impressive servo with titanium gears and a tight deadband.

Dirtybird,

I remember seeing those results posted on another website.. A very well done test. I actually download the results at the time and kept them for further reference and comparision. I also based my testing on yours...

A shame that the time and money isn't availble to continue that testing on the more current offerings...

Ed Harley
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM
kochj

I have no need to argue....I din't want this to be a Repost from the FG forum about the issues and all the testing done by a electronic engineer...and so on .....
The title was Harsh....but was done so, to grab your attention.... The information needs to get out....
You may get lucky.... your servos may work well for a while... or long while....as this is the QA part of it.... they had sourced some poor quality parts..

I purchased these servos prior to reading all the issues...

Okay....8 NIB and 5- with 4-flights on them....

If you would take the time to read the flying giant forum that I listed I am a Christian...
and wouldn't send you servos...knowing that there is issues with them...that could possibly injure
others.
You want to use them in your planes.... Then you will have to live with yourself when you plane kills person(s) or property destruction...

I will not contribute to it....

Hitec is going to release an update for the firmware on this servo in the future...but it will NOT solve the other issues with the pot
Wearing out prematurely....

I used to be the way some are........I love hitec's service....it is truly great....that is a FACT....

But .....They have ignored the issues with this servo...for over 2-years... and they had the same with there A9 radio....
I know because I also have one of those....

They finally nailed the issue with a update to the receiver.... seemed to stop the lockouts that was causing guys to loose
There planes....

Again.... some will not believe this either.....I also thought...." No, it is just a very few that had this lock out issue...ect ect"
Then I actually got out of my little world and read what others had been experiencing....

This servo has one of the BEST gear train out.... but lacks in the G2 board.... They need to recall and fix the ones not sold....

Again...I don't expect anyone to believe what I say..... UNLESS... you read other posts one FG forum...!Q!!!!!!...

The information is out there....but sometimes it is easier to argue about something w/o any cumulative facts....and think you are right...

Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
kochj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubu6w...eature=related

Here is the Trybuilt test... the sevo is less that what is advertised...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqcGv...eature=related

Glitching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAblur2UVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0dDbJvp3Y&feature=player_embedded#!

Here you go exeter_acres.... Being you don't take the time to read...you can what video right!???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7VqC...layer_embedded

Another one guys!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/wcTIgxDUhFQ

@[:-][:-][:-]
This was a video of Hitec's firmware update that is going to FIX the jittering!....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YecJz..._order&list=UL
Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 PM
kochj

Please go to FG forums and type in the search engine New hitec 7950TH

It will answer all your q;s about the servo issues...

Thanks..
Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: driller2948

I have three of them never had a problem! Sorry to hear, can you not just return them if NIB?
I can't return them as they have been sitting for 4-months or so...

Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

I still don't have something straight in my mind.
Are all of the 7955's considered the "G2" version, and the 5955's were considered the "G1" version?

Or are there two versions of the 7955 out there?

Thanks
Bob
Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I was looking at the 7955 servo specs @ServoCity and noticed they have no prices shown anywhere! You have to put the item in the basket to find out the price [X(]
Is it my browser? or you guys have the same thing...

http://servocity.com/html/hs-7955tg_servo.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.