Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

High Band - Low Band:: Need help

Old 08-24-2003, 02:17 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Band - Low Band:: Need help

Hey fellas. We all know that Hitec and Futaba shoot the low band, while Airtronics and JR shoot the high band.

Is there a difference between these? The guys at our field always have radio glitches. Maybe because they use antique transmitters and tear stuff up all the time. Is this because they're on the low band or what? I know for a fact that they do fly on the low band, but is this why they tear stuff up?

The reason I'm asking is that I bought an Eclipse 7 from Jerry and I fly Airtronics. He said that the planes that I use Airtronics receivers with will shoot the high band, but the ones that I use the Hitec receivers for will shoot the low band.

Am I going to have problems with the low band having glitch problems? Jerry and I never crash a plane because of radio glitches. I do occassionally, but it's very seldom. Help me out guys, PLEASE!! I don't want to lose these planes. One is a Hobbico Extra 300 ASAP and the other one is a Seagull's P-51 Mustang. Very nice planes. I'd hate to see them crash just because of a stupid, correctible glitch. Thanks.
Clint
Old 08-24-2003, 05:40 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: High Band - Low Band:: Need help

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Extra_230
[B]Hey fellas. We all know that Hitec and Futaba shoot the low band, while Airtronics and JR shoot the high band.

Not to sure what you are talking about when you say "shoot the high or low band" but beleive you are confusing a few differant things. First off Futaba and Futaba Rx's only tune their Rx's for the center of the upper end of the band or lower end of the band. If you use a Futaba RX that was tuned for the upper half of the band (by switching Rx crystals) with any make TX that is on the lower half then you are looking for trouble. Futaba is the only brand still doing this all others center tune for the entire and band and you may freely switch Rx crystals from the top to bottom of the band. By the way It is illegal to switch Tx crystals yourself unless it is a module type or synthesized TX.

The other situation your are confusing is 'modulation shift' used by the maker. There is no differance in performance whether or not positive or negative modulation shift is used however both Tx and Rx must be of the same shift to function unless the tX or Rx has a shift selectable feature.

It is true some sites can experiance interferance on some channels from lisensed primary users on channels that are between our chanels and as secondary users we must cease and desist. This interferance is seldom more prevelent in differant makes of radios and those beliefs are frequently just old wives tales.

John
Old 08-25-2003, 04:01 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Is your Eclipse 7 shift selectable?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:11 PM
JohnBuckner

The Eclipse 7 as well as the radio it replaced the Prism 7X are both shift selectable and both can use the Spectra module or a single frequency module. The Spectra module was orginally developed for the Prism 7.

Both can also utilize the 75Mhz surface Spectra module but there is no 50 or 53Mhz Hitec modules.

John
Old 08-25-2003, 07:37 PM
flytheedge

Thanks for the help guys. I don't know if it's selectible or not. I know that it'll run any brand I want it to. It'll shoot Hitec, Futaba, JR, and Airt. Thanks.
Clint
Old 08-25-2003, 08:06 PM
JohnBuckner

Originally posted by Extra_230
Thanks for the help guys. I don't know if it's selectible or not. I know that it'll run any brand I want it to. Clint
Clint Your Eclipse is modulation shift selectable. If you will just refer to page eleven of your manual and section titled "transmit shift-SFT.N, SFT.P" it will describe exactly how to program. This is among the first items you do when storing a new model after imputting the model name. Once more than one model is stored then all settings and the modulation shift will change to what ever you have programed when you pick other models. Quick and simple.

John
Old 08-25-2003, 10:46 PM
flytheedge

Thanks everybody. BUT:: will I still be shooting the low band when I use Hitec receivers? I know I'll be shooting the high band with Airtronics receivers.

I guess this is the bottom line question:::

Is the high band SAFER than the low band? Thanks again everybody.
Clint
Old 08-25-2003, 11:27 PM
JohnBuckner

Originally posted by Extra_230
will I still be shooting the low band when I use Hitec receivers? I know I'll be shooting the high band with Airtronics receivers.
Is the high band SAFER than the low band? Thanks again everybody.
Clint
First off: It makes no difference in regard to interference what frequency you are using within the band and yes there can be isolated pockets geographically of legal interference on any channel within the band, it has nothing to do with which end of the band is used. I can make it no clearer than the anwer to last question is: No the high band channels are no safer than the bottom end of the band.

Your Radio irrgardless of the make is not shooting anything. The different manufacturers have choosen mearly to use a slightly different modulation senario and some more expensive equipment is capable of doing either modulation shift.

Lastly, if you have no Futaba Rx's then all others can use any channel with in the band without problems.

When you use your Eclipse seven with your Airtronics Rx read page #11 in your book (remember), program in positive shift, Set your Spectra module to the same channel that your Rx is on (I hope that airtronics Rx. has a dual conversion Airtronics crystal in it).

Now go read your Hitec manual and quit fussing

John
Old 08-26-2003, 11:28 AM
flytheedge

hehehe. Thanks fellas.
Clint