RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Extra Credit Question for JR gurus

Old 08-26-2003, 12:47 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Extra Credit Question for JR gurus

I know the answer now thanks to the president of CCRCC (Charles County, MD) but I thought might be interesting to see if anyone else could figure this out:

My JR x378 would not come on even though the battery was fully charged. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I had a spare fuse so I popped it in place and closed up the box. Still no go. I took it to the LHS. TUrned it on. It worked. LHS said they should send it back to JR and I agreed. Didn't want to fly it like that but my wife was in the car and didn't feel well so I didn't take the time to fill out the paperwork planning on doing it later in the week. I did buy a JR 8103 with digital servos because I wanted to fly that day and did not have a spare.

That afternoon, I got the advice mentioned above and tried it out. It worked.

What was the advice?

Jeff

BTW - I still don't know why the fuse was blown. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that it has to do with my Hanger 9 digital voltmeter/tach. THe radio was working, I shut it off and checked the voltage and the meter wouldn't register. I tried to turn the radio on again and no go.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:38 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go/no-go - sounds like the infamous Weak Fuse Holder issue. After clipping/unclipping fuses a few times the tangs spread out and don't contact the fuse correctly.

The fix? Remove the fuse, give the tangs a gentle squeeze and pop the fuse back in. Hey-presto-it-works.

As to why the fuse blew - a current spike (in either direction!) while plugging in chargers, cyclers, etc. will do it. Some devices are worse culprits than others - over time I've blown at least three fuses in my 10X radios when plugging them into my Alpha 4 for cycling, and once when quick-charging with my Sirius charger. With the A4 I now plug the radios in before starting my selected program; with the Sirius I plug in the JR adapter into the radio, connect the charger to power, then connect the two items together.

OTOH my old POS Hobbico quick field charger never blew any fuses. Except its own.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:13 PM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My JR x378 would not come on even though the battery was fully charged.
(1) The battery connector (inside battery compartment) may have come loose from fidgeting.
(2) If the Tx was ridiculously hot from being in the sun then the LCD can blank out. But you would still hear the beeps, so that cannot be it.

I guess I have to wait for you to share "the secrete."

The only thing I can think of is that it has to do with my Hanger 9 digital voltmeter/tach. The radio was working, I shut it off and checked the voltage and the meter wouldn't register. I tried to turn the radio on again and no go.
If there were bare leads that touched while plugged into the Tx then the fuse will blow. That is better than the smoke that might occur otherwise.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:46 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Visioneer_one wins right out of the gate. It was the fuse clip. I've seen cooked spaghetti with more spring than the metal they use. I had very carefull removed the original fuse by prizing up from the bottom with a toothpick. When I went back to check, both sides were loose enough to rattle!

Oh well, now I have two radios (two separate channels) instead of 1.