RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics Infinity 660

Old 08-26-2003, 07:28 PM
donkey doctor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Airtronics Infinity 660

Hello; I have been using an Infinity for 6 or so years and have 6 or 7 planes that I fly from it. Recently however, my batteries won't hold a charge. I replaced all the batteries in the battery pack with nickle metal hydride type, and it still won't keep a charge.

This radio has worked pretty well for me over teh years but now I can't buy the old Airtronics servo p;lugs any more, plus it seems to be eating batteries at an accelerated rate.

I haven't ever been "hit" with this radio even though I have a rubber ducky antenna on it. I have quite a few other Airtronics radios7 or 8 of them, Vanguards and radians, and 2 RD 6000's, and a SR too.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with the infinity?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:02 PM
aksmithrc
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used two Infinity 660's since the early 90's; never had a problem with either and have replaced the battery in the battery holder for both of them (one, two times); no discharge problems here. I was thinking it might be a good idea to remove the pack from the transmitter (I always charge mine removed), charge the pack, and leave it out of the transmitter to see if it discharges; this would eliminate the transmitter as a source of the problem if it does discharge. If discharge does occur with the pack isolated you can begin looking at the pack itself as the problem. It may be that you just got hold of a bad battery pack. I don't see how the tx itself can be a problem with just changing the battery pack.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:22 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

make sure your charger is working.. You might try another. It is also possible that you have a high resistance connection at the plug. I don't know if you have capacitors across the on/off switch but I have seen brands with this set up have a cap leak through and run the bat down,, but it would take a charge. Hope this helps.. Just my $.02 worth.. Could also be 2 bad bat packs.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:21 PM
jlr
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have noticed that with the pack in the Tx, the batteries in my Infinity 660 seem to run down faster than my other radio. I have always assumed that the main pack may have some draw on it even with the Tx switched off (memory back-up?). Testing the pack with it removed from the Tx is a good suggestion. It may also be worth checking if the memory is lost with the main pack removed. If it is, it may be that the main pack will backup the memory if the lithium cell is low and needs replacement.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:43 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The amount of current a memory backup system draws is less than the natural leakage current of the batteries, so that can't be it. We're talking a few microamps (not milliamps, 3 decimal places further right) The only real way to tell is wire in a multimeter between the battery leads to allow for current monitoring and see what happens.