Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

8FG Super Impossible

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8FG Super Impossible

Is it just me or is the new Futaba 8FG Super just about the most complicated radio system ever devised. I've been messing with it and the manual for nearly an hour and gotten no place. On top of that the method for scrolling seems imprecise and often doesn't schroll. I have been using a 9C for years and right now I'm thinking about just selling this thing.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: 8FG Super Impossible

ORIGINAL: splais

Is it just me or is the new Futaba 8FG Super just about the most complicated radio system ever devised. I've been messing with it and the manual for nearly an hour and gotten no place. On top of that the method for scrolling seems imprecise and often doesn't schroll. I have been using a 9C for years and right now I'm thinking about just selling this thing.
Well sir, when I first got my 8FG I pretty much thought the same things about the programming methods. I especially disliked the IPod style of data entry. But I stuck with it and and in just a few hours had it pretty well figured out and completed programming of a typical complex heli with 4 flight modes.

Overall, when you get use to the programming it isn't difficult at all. I do wish it had a separate return to top button so you wouldn't have to return to the top of a page to go back to the previous function or page. That alone would make programming much faster.

Part of the problem with the 8FG it the depth of the programming functions. When you have the ability to assign just about any button, switch or stick to any channel or function, it takes a lot of steps to get there. That combined with just one method of data entry makes the learning curve more steep.

Hang in there and you will be rewarded with a very capable transmitter. I liked mine well enough that I bought a second one as I feel the radio is a very good value for the $$$ spent.

Now if you want easy programming, buy the Hitec Aurora 9. I can't imagine an easier transmitter to program and it has most of the features the 8FG has. I fly the A9 in many of my planes, the 8FG in helis. I chose the 8FG because of its pre programmed compatibility with the Futaba gyros and governor. I also still have and use a 9C and 9Z and agree the 9C was much easier to program than the 8FG .... but nowhere as capable of a performer.

One suggestion regarding the 8FG input device ..... use a light touch on it. That might be your scroll problem. Mine seem quite sensitive ...... it will fight you if you fight it. Relax and take it easy ...... it will work 100% as advertised.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Herbs_007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wetting your finger before using the scroll also helps, it just doesnt like a dry finger.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Is it just me or is the new Futaba 8FG Super just about the most complicated radio system ever devised"

I don't know. When the 8UAF first came out, I remember Don Edberg marketing his "how to" cook book. Computers are computers. The more capability there is , the more difficult to understand.

Les
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

I find it a very easy system to program even with its extreme flexibility. The key is to understand it is function based programing, not channel based programing. By that I mean you have to think about functions, e.g. ailerons, elevator, and not channels, e.g. channel 1,2. The function menu is where the functions and channels come together. After two years of using it, I liked it so much I just bought a second one for backup.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 PM
splais

I'm sorry, but this is not an easy radio to program and I suspect that has a lot to do with why there are so many of them for sale in this and other classified sections. the manual is horrible, it does not even have an index for christ sake and it's full of terms for which there is no glossary to explain what they are. I bought this thing because I was finishing up a 50cc warbird with 10 servos on seven channels plus battery and thought I needed it. then I got a Power Extender Pro and since I use Hitec servos and have a programmer, well it was easy to set it up with my 9C and 8 channel receiver. Now I'm stuck with this thing that will take hours to figure out. But, well since I don't need it now I will play with it a while and see if I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

This was a used radio that had three models in it. I deleted the 2nd and 3rd model, but for some reason it will not let me delete the 1st model that is a helicopter. Can anyone tell me how to delete it. I tried a "data reset" but that didn't do it and when you go into the model it has no delete option like the other two had!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, but this is not an easy radio to program and I suspect that has a lot to do with why there are so many of them for sale in this and other classified sections. the manual is horrible, it does not even have an index for christ sake and it's full of terms for which there is no glossary to explain what they are. I bought this thing because I was finishing up a 50cc warbird with 10 servos on seven channels plus battery and thought I needed it. then I got a Power Extender Pro and since I use Hitec servos and have a programmer, well it was easy to set it up with my 9C and 8 channel receiver. Now I'm stuck with this thing that will take hours to figure out. But, well since I don't need it now I will play with it a while and see if I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

This was a used radio that had three models in it. I deleted the 2nd and 3rd model, but for some reason it will not let me delete the 1st model that is a helicopter. Can anyone tell me how to delete it. I tried a ''data reset'' but that didn't do it and when you go into the model it has no delete option like the other two had!
The most important thing is whether the radio is reliable and can it do what you want it to. I have not seen a manual, yet, from any manufacturer, that touched on more than just the basics. The radio is a good one. It will take time to get a feel for how to navigate the programming. I do not own one but that is just because I am not in a market for a new radio at this time. I have had many radios and have spent many hours figuring out how to set them up to do what I need.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 PM
splais

Well I did just find the Futaba Programming 101 and 102 videos on Youtube. While they use the 14Z it is easy to follow along on the 8FGS. I learned more about the basic programming watching these two 10 minute videos than I did with two hours of trying to make sense out of the manual.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:52 PM
zbo2

i was and am in the same boat.............i'm going from the old futaba fm radios. i found that sleeping on it and trying again that i'm getting the menus down and am about ready to get into the advanced programing. you can try this link also.
http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...40/Sq46122.pdf
Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Truckracer

This was a used radio that had three models in it. I deleted the 2nd and 3rd model, but for some reason it will not let me delete the 1st model that is a helicopter. Can anyone tell me how to delete it. I tried a ''data reset'' but that didn't do it and when you go into the model it has no delete option like the other two had!
Well I used the same worthless manual and was able to find everything in it that I needed to program a heli from scratch .... also using S-bus connections to the CY701 gyro / governor. While I agree the organization of the manual is poor, the info is in there if you take the time to read it. I suggest you spend more time studying the manual and less time complaining about the radio. You'll accomplish more that way!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 AM
splais

but sir, you are a whiz, some of us are just ordinary. As stated, the futaba programming videos where a great help and much better for getting started than the manual for ordinary mortals.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Truckracer

but sir, you are a whiz, some of us are just ordinary. As stated, the futaba programming videos where a great help and much better for getting started than the manual for ordinary mortals.
I can assure you I am as ordinary as anyone. I too get very frustrated when learning new programs ... either for hobby related items or at work. Some programs are very intuitive and natural to learn where others come very hard. Quite often I end up finding the more difficult to learn programs to be the easier to use .... after I have learned and understand them. It really is a matter of just buckling down, study and learn it. In all cases, you have to learn the basics. If you don't you're lost from there on and the task of applying the program can seem impossible. In the case of the 8FG, you have to fully understand how the input device works. From there you have to be prepared to tell the transmitter exactly what every stick, trim, switch, channel, etc. will be doing. Yes, there will be defaults but don't count on them until you have checked them to make sure they are the function you want. Read the glider and heli sections if you're an airplane guy as you can find interesting tidbits there. I too thought the 8FG programming and manual to be a real POS but it all came together over a few hours. Yes, I had to walk away a few times as this was nothing like my older Futaba transmitters but that doesn't make it bad.

You can learn the 8FG programming, you just have to stick with it. Be prepared to read between the lines in the book. You've mentioned several problem areas you're having and that the info isn't in the book. I can assure you it is in there .... you're not looking closely enough. Experiment if you don't fully understand a function. When you have specific questions .... forums can help. But please don't come on here and whine about how hard the radio is to learn. I'm sure there are many people with less mental ability than you have that have mastered this radio. Remember when all else fails, RTFM!

In the next few weeks, I have to learn two very complicated new systems at work. I'm not looking forward to this as I know it will be hard work. I know I will have times when I'll get very frustrated. I'll cuss the developer for not knowing what he is doing or for being out of touch with the real world. But I'll stick with it, make sure I have a good grasp of the basics, I'll stick with it then things will start to come together.

Hang in there and report back when you're an 8FG expert. You will be soon if you apply yourself!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

I too am just learning it. I have had 9Cs and 10Cs and it is just different. I had fits of starts and stops, let my brain cool off a bit and go again.
What I have learned is that it dosn' t transfer from the 9s or 10s. Throw that knowledge out and start again with the new manual and the examples. Follow them carefully. It will come to you. The manual is quite thorough.
onward and upward! You can do it.

Slopoke
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
HerbAir

I'm anxiously awaiting my 8FGA Super. In the meantime, I'm searching various articles. So far, until now, I've been rather disappointed that nothing seems to be written about the "Super" version of this radio. I'm guessing its simply too new and not too many are out there yet. Glad to have found this string.

I haven't had time to dig around toomuch due to my schedule, but I don't seem to be able to find some info that would be useful for future projects on this radio system...Having said all this, I want to jump in for a second and ask a semi-relatedquestion...sorry folksif this doesn't fit within this particular topic...

Has anyone found where Futaba and/or Tower/Hobbico has listed pricing ontheir S-Bus system parts and components?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...sbus&search=Go
Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 AM
HerbAir

Thanks...
Old 02-13-2012, 09:52 AM
pilotpete2

Herb Air,
Any 8FG becomes a "Super" as soon as you update the software. The only hardware change with the Super was a change to the length of the tabs on the sliders. The originals ones were a little short, and that made them a little hard to get a grip on at the ends of the travel. The slider part is user replaceable, so older ones can be upgraded. Other than that, there's just the changes to the silkscreen printing on the radio[8D]
Pete
Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
HerbAir

Thanks Pete!
I did read and understood all that...just had a hard time on deciding which way to go. I was considering the older 7C, but decided to move a notch above. Mostly budgetary issues prior to the decision to go with the 8FGA. Some of S-Bus items are still somewhat of a mystery at this point. Much to learn, but not afraid or concerned. However, I'm anxious seeing new posts to this thread.
Herb

Like the reference to Red Green...one of my favorite shows!

Remember: The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on the ground and on fire!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
splais

So I have to apologize to the manual. somehow I missed the table of contents, don't know if the pages were stuck or what but that makes things a heck of a lot easier. For anyone learning this radio those 2 Youtube videos by futaba (Programming 101 and 102) are a great help. they are using the 12Z, but it is very easy to follow along on the 8FG. And yes after those videos and finding the table of contents I am starting to get the hang of it.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Truckracer

So I have to apologize to the manual. somehow I missed the table of contents, don't know if the pages were stuck or what but that makes thinks a heck of a lot easier. For anyone learning this radio those 2 Youtube videos by futaba (Programming 101 and 102) are a great help. they are using the 12Z, but it is very easy to follow along on the 8FG. And yes after those videos and finding the table of contents I am starting to get the hang of it.
Great news! Hang in there.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the 8FG a real pain in the azz. But as someone else has mentioned, once I threw out everything I new about Futaba radio's it got much easier. Every bit of the terminology is different and how it's used. Now, a year later, it's seem's so simple. Plus recently was considering buying a new radio with more channels and wah-lah Futaba give's us the FREE upgrade. Gotta love it.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
TimBle

Yeah its a doddle once you read the manual.

Once yo have the hang of the 8Fg try out S-bus. I'm setting up a GW Racer Edge 540 30cc with it currently.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

So, it was not really impossible after all.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 PM
splais

OK, so I am getting the hang of it. But it's a good thing I didn't need to use this radio any time soon after purchase. But I do see some sort of twisted logic in there someplace.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I've had mine since summer now and still have to struggle a bit when programming triple rates to the switches, and the throttle down and cut controls. I've found that in addition to the videos, using the servo screen does indeed speed up the programming because you can see what the control output is immediately. I also found that learning the "trick" of tapping the wheel to skip to the top of pages as opposed to scrolling speeds things up. I also bought two, one for my helis and one for fixed wing. I have all the planes/helis programmed into both (on the cards at least) so I can use either tx. As for deleting the last model, create a "new" model and then select it. Then select the one you want to delete and it will ask select, copy, delete. Then delete.
Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.