Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

INSIDE 8FG AND SD-10

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:40 PM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INSIDE 8FG AND SD-10

What do you see when you peek inside the 8FG and SD-10 ?
How looks the gymbles?
Which one looks more solid built?
How would you compare with 9c or 10c structure?
which one are capable to last AT LEAST 7 years?.

Is there any picture out there?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Pippin

Default RE: INSIDE 8FG AND SD-10

http://aviarium.files.wordpress.com/...sd10gin_01.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5Tqzm9_u0T4/S6...JPG?imgmax=512
Old 02-22-2012, 03:22 AM
jcvt

This is very interesting considering that both radio have more or less same capability.

Thank You.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 AM
ArchNemesis

I can't speak to the 8FG as I've never used one, though it's my understanding that my SD-10 has more functionality.  Regardless, I'll simply say that my experience with the SD-10 gimbals has been excellent.  I've been using one of the first SD-10's on the market for 3+ years now and they're very solid, and still very accurate. 

Prior to that I used a Stylus for 10+ years with equally excellent results.  I've been very happy with Airtronics attention to the quality of the gimbals in their radios.

I realize I have a biased view as one of their team pilots, but none the less I'm an extremely active flyer, my radios get a LOT of use, and they've held up extremely well.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 AM
jcvt

Check these two photos.In one photo , the wires are attached directly to the gimbals head and they move in all the three axes. The result could be a broken wire because of fatigue.
In the other one, the wires are not attached directly to the gimbals head, consequently less movement and fatigue.

One radio is more than 10 years old and never had a problem , the other one , well you probably know about it .......

How the sd-10 works? I cannot apreciate it in the picture .Is like the first radio ore more like the second one?

Thank You.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14590.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1730430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81805.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1730431  
Old 02-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Pippin

Right, most radio brands have wires attached directly to the gimbals. Also, there where very few problems related to it on older models in the past. Futaba had these problems as well as Sanwa/Airtronics and others.

Btw, the Airtronics SD-6G has different gimbals "free" of wires.

The SD-10G is one the market since early 2009. How many people complained about the gimbals? ZERO.

If you search the Internet, you can find a lot of pics showing the insides of the various radios.

Here is a close up from the SD-10G stick assembly. Note the ball-bearings and clips that hold the wire in place:

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...?p=4265064&i=4

The new JR 11X:

http://www.rcheliresource.com/wp-con...24d5ae7227.jpg
Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 AM
jcvt

The obvious question when you see these two pictures is ,If these two radios have similar capabilities why they look so different?? What are the advantages of each one?

2)Why is the deal with with the upgradable radios, I see in this forums that new software are available too often. Is not possible to make it right the first time?

Is that the reason why people buy a 10c for 600 Dollar, or is willing to pay between $130 to $275 for obsolete radios like 9c, stylus, 8c, rd800 , vg600, 6xas etc.

Name:	Rp42498.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1730668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79033.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1730669  
Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Pippin

Indeed, there are a couple of Futaba 8FG updates that close the gap to the Airtronics SD-10G. But I have not seen any SD-10G update yet. Some guys would like to see one to answer their specific needs. That's fine.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not sure the photos prove or disprove anything at all about the two radios in question. The Futaba photo is a bit in question as the small aux. board towards the bottom completely obscures the view of the main board behind it. Also in the center, shields further hide boards from view. As for stick quality, I have to give it to the Airtronics transmitter .... both from a quality and user feel standpoint. But....... the Futaba 8FG sticks feel very good also. I don't see anything in either stick that would make one last longer than the other though. Both radios have a proven record for overall quality and performance. As for overall usage and programming utility, I give the edge to the Futaba 8Fg for use in powered planes and helis, the edge to the Airt. SD-10 for sailplanes and other complex wing and tail aircraft. The SD-10 might be a bit easier to program but that could depend on your past experience with either brand. Some people struggle learning the 8Fg programming but again, not hard to adjust to. Some find the 8FG very intuitive, some not so much .... I think it depends on the age of the user and how long it takes to adjust to the entry device.

They have a completely different feel in the hands .... both are unique in the industry so you will either hate them or love them when you first hold one. That will change after you own one .... maybe for the better, maybe worse.

Both radios are extremely capable and well priced for their feature sets. My guess is that either one will last a good long time and something else will be on the market that you'll want to buy as a replacement before you'll actually wear out the transmitter.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Truckracer

[quote]ORIGINAL: Pippin

Indeed, there are a couple of Futaba 8FG updates that close the gap to the Airtronics SD-10G. But I have not seen any SD-10G update yet. Some guys would like to see one to answer their specific needs. That's fine.

/quote]

Some see the 8Fg as being more capable than the SD-10. For example, setting up multiple wing servos in aero mode is difficult with the SD but quick and easy with the 8FG. No mixes or other difficult programming needed, just straight forward assign the function to a channel and adjust each servo from there. If you have enough receive channels, you can assign a lot of servos too! Same for the tail.

Similarly, if using a Futaba gyro, governor or FBL unit in heli mode, the functions are available as preset functions where with the SD, you have to start from scratch and create your own. Also not a big deal for many users, but Airt. has no S-Bus.

Now don't get my wrong, I love and enjoy Airtronics equipment so this is no flame. Airtronics has features that Futaba lacks ... just as Futaba has functions that Airtronics lacks. Its a pick and choose thing.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Pippin

I fly my 93†warbird with the SD-10G. The programming was easy. The free assignable push buttons are a great plus, especially for throttle cut. Also I like channel delay on the flap servos. The radio does everything I want.

If you convert an existing 9 or 10 channel plane to 2.4GHz, this is easier done with the SD-10G. Unfortunately, you can not get the 8FG Super set with the 6014 Rx included.

Also, the Futaba 8FG has been improved and it's called the 8FG Super. Many of the improvements seems to be inspired by the SD10G software.

Anyway it's nice that we get more choices soon (if you do not like the shiny silver case):

Name:	Vt58255.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1731111  
Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
jcvt

Out of the subject , and this is for Futaba guys?

What futaba offers in the 10c that cost $200 more than 8fg and SD -1O ? Is there any particularity in the Hardware or software ?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: jcvt

Out of the subject , and this is for Futaba guys?

What futaba offers in the 10c that cost $200 more than 8fg and SD -1O ? Is there any particularity in the Hardware or software ?

Sensitive subject! In my opinion, the 10C is a very nice but outdated radio. It lacks many functions that are standard on the 8FG. The 10C does have a nicer overall feel and for users that don't like change, the programming is more like the 9C and other older Futaba products. Frankly, I wish they had created the 8FG in the 10C case and called it the 14FG, 12+2FG or something like that. But then ..... that might displace some 12Fg or 12Z sales. I guess its all in the marketing.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 PM
jcvt

It should not been a sensitive subject, That radio cost 40-50% more.
That is funny , our children know more about theirs toys than us about ours.
I willing to pay more if I can justify it, same thing if I were to buy a PC. I just want to know all technical details before I buy it. I am sure that you know more about your PC. than you know about your radio, and this one could put your life and the others in risk.
I hope is not all in the marketing...I hope some futaba staff make a step forward and explain it to us.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Truckracer

It should not been a sensitive subject, That radio cost 40-50% more.
That is funny , our children know more about theirs toys than us about ours.
I willing to pay more if I can justify it, same thing if I were to buy a PC. I just want to know all technical details before I buy it. I am sure that you know more about your PC. than you know about your radio, and this one could put your life and the others in risk.
I hope is not all in the marketing...I hope some futaba staff make a step forward and explain it to us.
To be fair, the 10C is a very high quality, very reliable, very comfortable to use radio. It was just developed before the 8FG so the newer radio has the benefits of new programming features not yet available at the time the 10C was created. Every company faces this problem as newer models have features and offerings that some of the more expensive radios in the line don't have. This is especially notable in the JR line with the 11 ch compared to the 12x, etc. In the mean time, marketing has to keep the current older model selling until its newer replacement comes along. Same with cars, consumer electroncis, etc. You get the picture. Nothing for Futaba to explain really. The 10C was designed for a price point and feature list then a newer radio came along they could add additional features to at a lower cost. Just the way life works.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Pippin

Off topic:

Most 8FG sets sold in Japan come with the 6ch helicopter Rx R6106HFC. You get the picture.
Newer sets include the R6203SB or R6203SBE.

The T10 still holds its ground. For most sport flyer's, it's a great radio. Also, you can use the new S-FHSS module together with the T10. Or your old 72MHz module. That makes the T10 a versatile radio.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 PM
jcvt

Thanks guys it was nice sharing with you, as you can see in the photos, I have time to take a descicion....

Name:	Ca81990.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1731786  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Truckracer

Thanks guys it was nice sharing with you, as you can see in the photos, I have time to take a descicion....
P-47?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
jcvt

Yes!!!, Now you understand why I need a solid radio? Imagine this thing flying 125 miles/Hr. in one crouded Island like I live......
Old 02-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I have both the SD10 and the Futaba T10, I love them both. If asked to sell either radio, it would be an impossible decision. I know because I have contemplated it. I love the feel of the T10 and the reliability. I love the options, all 3 position switches, channel assignments, servo delay and the list goes on with the SD10. If they put the SD10 into the T10 case, I would have the best of both worlds. I believe that would be a 14 or 18 MZ and I can't go there!

I have separated my needs into a few categories. I use the T10 for my scale WW1 aircraft as I don't need flaps etc. (Read servo delay) It takes a large amount of concentration to pilot the WW1 Scale, I like the feel of T10 for that.

For the civilian, float planes etc with flaps, I use the SD10 for servo delay on flaps etc....

My Jet will get the T10, my P47 would get the SD10

I have fondled the 8FG. It is a smaller case, similiar to the SD6 (which my son and nephew each use) but I have not flown with one. I do like the SD6, ergonomically correct etc. I would imagine the 8FG is too.

Doesn't help much but hey, you're choosing from two great radio manufacturers... :-)