Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum vs. Futaba?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum vs. Futaba?

Futaba systems areSuperior to the rest!! End of story!!! Dsair hit it on the head, one word will solve your radio problems- FUTABA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 AM
G MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not fly a paper airplane with a futaba!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one of each radio you've tested out of thousands produced. Some work some crash air planes for unexplained reasons. Problem is DSM2 is old Tech. and still only uses 2 channels ... Most of The R/C world has moved on to Hopping ...
End of Story.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: G MAN

Just what do you use to "Fly Your Paper Airplanes" ... String? OH oh There I go again ... The Devil made me do it .... Sorry he he he.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

How come as many times as people have said "end of story" in this thread, they still continue to troll?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 AM
carrellh

abcarr711,
If you're still reading this (I skipped from page 2 to the end because of the bickering), I think you need to change radio brands.

I do not own any 2.4 ghz equipment so I do not have any brand loyalty or animosity so my reasoning has nothing to do with thinking one brand is better or worse than the other.

I think you are so frustrated with your Spektrum experience that you'll never be 100% confident using it.

Hopefully you can sell all of your existing transmitters and receivers for enough to ease the pain of switching.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
G MAN

Yep works every time.
ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Just what do you use to ''Fly Your Paper Airplanes'' ... String? OH oh There I go again ... The Devil made me do it .... Sorry he he he.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Rotten40851

"Thats probrably because your a cheapskate and cant afford QUALITY, keep flying your cheap Spektra and JR ( japan radio) crap. and you will soon only have paper Airplanes!!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

"Thats probrably because your a cheapskate and cant afford QUALITY, keep flying your cheap Spektra and JR ( japan radio) crap. and you will soon only have paper Airplanes!!!!

Some of us can afford Futaba, Spektrum, JR and several of each... just for a bit of variety.. and that is a valid reason why I have each brand. even between similar TX's I set the stick tension and length differently

I like flying different planes and helicopters on different radios, it adds character to each genre and variety to the flying...

I guess if I was on a budget and could only afford one radio I'd probably just have Futaba too..

These are just some of my radios.. yes I could afford a 14 MZ or the new 18 channel Futaba.. but just 1 or 2 radioswould be boring... and the battery life on those radios is crap.. I fly 14 hours a day some days and multiple radios makes that very easy.. ( I once did 100 flights in a day, just for fun.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47u2LonEE_Y )

(deliberately trolling a troll.. no offense intended to others...)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50289.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1733305  
Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 AM
skywagn180

Listen...The bottom line is that JR/Spektrum makes a great product, but their systems have some limitations that demand attention and respect. If you respect these limitations and educate yourself, you can be reasonably confident in their systems. Unfortunately, Spektrum markets to beginners and for that reason we will continue to see aircraft lost for a long time to come. We all keep beating a dead horse here. There is absolutely no doubt that two major problems exist in these systems and that they have caused many crashes. Most of us have witnessed multiple crashes first hand. For me it's over 20 incidents or accidents that were caused by Spektrum issues beyond a reasonable doubt, and I don't even get out to the field that much. The two limitations are RX voltage sensitivity(brown-outs), and DSM2/DSMX rx and satellite rx compatibility. Yes there are other small issues, but these seem to be the killers. What has happened is that Spektrum got ahead of itself and forced a questionable product on the public with a fantastic marketing campaign before it was ready. In doing this they made unprecedented gains in market share and Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and others were left in the dust as they perfected their systems. If I hear "I used to fly Futaba, but...." one more time as people check out my 8FG Super, I am going to commit myself to an institution. I fly Futaba because they got it right and I maintain my loyalty with confidence. The message boards back up my confidence. Yes, I own a DX8 also and it's a damn nice radio. In fact I like it better than my 8FG in many ways, but I will never trust the system with a $2000 model. I can tell from the action in the classifieds more people are wising up and going Futaba. People are figuring it out slowly and I hope more will join us. I will keep and use my DX8 for my small park flyers, but my gas planes will stick with Futaba. I will sell the DX8 in a hurry the day I can get a 4g rx for my Futaba for $10 though. For those of you that are still in love with JR/Spektrum, for the safety of the rest of us please follow these rules:

1: Never power your JR/Spektrum rx with an ESC/BEC or ESC/UBEC!
2: Use redundant power sourcing on large A/C!
3: Always use an independant power source on each rx!
4: Ensure servos are adequate for each application and that they do not bind in any way!
5: Be 100% sure you meet DSM2/DSMX compatibilty requirements with your setup!
6: For God's sake put a good capacitor in the system somewhere to prevent brown-outs.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: skywagn180

Listen...The bottom line is that JR/Spektrum makes a great product, but their systems have some limitations that demand attention and respect. If you respect these limitations and educate yourself, you can be reasonably confident in their systems. Unfortunately, Spektrum markets to beginners and for that reason we will continue to see aircraft lost for a long time to come. We all keep beating a dead horse here. There is absolutely no doubt that two major problems exist in these systems and that they have caused many crashes. Most of us have witnessed multiple crashes first hand. For me it's over 20 incidents or accidents that were caused by Spektrum issues beyond a reasonable doubt, and I don't even get out to the field that much. The two limitations are RX voltage sensitivity(brown-outs), and DSM2/DSMX rx and satellite rx compatibility. Yes there are other small issues, but these seem to be the killers. What has happened is that Spektrum got ahead of itself and forced a questionable product on the public with a fantastic marketing campaign before it was ready. In doing this they made unprecedented gains in market share and Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and others were left in the dust as they perfected their systems. If I hear "I used to fly Futaba, but...." one more time as people check out my 8FG Super, I am going to commit myself to an institution. I fly Futaba because they got it right and I maintain my loyalty with confidence. The message boards back up my confidence. Yes, I own a DX8 also and it's a damn nice radio. In fact I like it better than my 8FG in many ways, but I will never trust the system with a $2000 model. I can tell from the action in the classifieds more people are wising up and going Futaba. People are figuring it out slowly and I hope more will join us. I will keep and use my DX8 for my small park flyers, but my gas planes will stick with Futaba. I will sell the DX8 in a hurry the day I can get a 4g rx for my Futaba for $10 though. For those of you that are still in love with JR/Spektrum, for the safety of the rest of us please follow these rules:

2: Use redundant power sourcing on large A/C!
3: Always use an independant power source on each rx!
4: Ensure servos are adequate for each application and that they do not bind in any way!
5: Be 100% sure you meet DSM2/DSMX compatibilty requirements with your setup!
6: For God's sake put a good capacitor in the system somewhere to prevent brown-outs.

A great post with good advice..

Yes if you buy Futaba you have a good system that can be used in confidence..

I totally agree with your 6 points, but for the sake of adding another perspective.. I have ONLY used ESC/s with BEC and or UBECs on all my JR / Spektrum equipment, and have 1000's of flights with NO incident.. and I never use a capacitor.

Maybe I am the luckiest Spektrum owner in the world because I have evendrained the batteries completely to the point where the motor won't run in flight and there is still enough juice to power the RX and land the plane safely without incident..

I did this deliberately many times in several (expendable) aircraft just to test Spek/JR for myself and I simply cannot fault it.. It has been 100% totally reliable.. and not at all sensitive to brownouts.. I have never had one, even when using cheap chinese ESCs, and batteries and running them totally flat.. (intentionally)

Just sharing my own experience and genuinely sorry for anyone that has problems and crashes..

But yeah.. if you follow the 6 points of advice above you havegreat insurance against problems.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: skywagn180

ROFL! ALL my electrics have BECs in them. NOT ONE has a separate rx battery!

Andy
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Ed

DSM2 FOREVER ! I have seen the frequency hoppers; hop right into the woods at Joe Nall.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Rotten40851

I see that you don't wish to offend anyone exceptme. Why is this becauseIrepliedto a post that was a reply of mine with alittle sarcasm? I am not offended in any way because everyone is entilted to thier opinion.1 Futaba 9ZHP( the radio I have been using for the last 18 years without a Hiccup) would do the work of all theTransmitters in your picture and then some. I also fly everyday (weather permitting) and 1 extrabattery packis all that is needed.The remark atthe end of your post(Trolling a Troll) I see as nothing but provocation and had nothing to do with the argument of Futaba vs Spektra. But if you feel that showing everyone on RCU all your Tx'sand boasting how you can afford any TX you wan't, more power to you.All thoseTx's iscrazy.Ifyou have so much money why dont you get the real Radio and an extra battery pack. I guess all those crappy Spekta's are still cheaper than the REALTHING!!!!!

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Some of us can afford Futaba, Spektrum, JR and several of each... just for a bit of variety.. and that is a valid reason why I have each brand. even between similar TX's I set the stick tension and length differently

I like flying different planes and helicopters on different radios, it adds character to each genre and variety to the flying...

I guess if I was on a budget and could only afford one radio I'd probably just have Futaba too..

These are just some of my radios.. yes I could afford a 14 MZ or the new 18 channel Futaba.. but just 1 or 2 radioswould be boring... and the battery life on those radios is crap.. I fly 14 hours a day some days and multiple radios makes that very easy.. ( I once did 100 flights in a day, just for fun.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47u2LonEE_Y )

(deliberately trolling a troll.. no offense intended to others...)

Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

I guess all those crappy Spekta's are still cheaper than the REAL THING!!!!!
I have a DX6i I bought when I first started flying. I also have a JR 9503 that I purchased at the beginning of last flying season. They both work when you turn them on. Neither of them have ever been the direct cause of a crash.

So tell me, what makes them "not real" as you put it?

You (and others) choose to fly Futaba. Good for you but what in the world makes anyone feel so intent on bashing another brand of equipment or the user? I just don't see the purpose.

I'm happy with the choice I made and obviously you (along with other posters on this thread) are happy with yours. You won't convince me I made a mistake, and I won't even try to convince you that you might have made one. That would be pointless on both our parts, so why spend so much time wasting time like this?

Grow up.

And no, I'm not directing this towards anyone particular but felt compelled to voice my opinion like everyone else. If I was going to single anyone out, I would have picked the one that can't spell and plays font games to draw attention to his brilliance. Now that's not real!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Mikecam

ORIGINAL: Ed

DSM2 FOREVER ! I have seen the frequency hoppers; hop right into the woods at Joe Nall.

Please explain to the rest of us. The two Futaba crashes at Nall were Shul's jet with the Mirrored plate over the Rx that he was told was a bad idea but installed it anyway and the Robarts Warbird that crashed because of a connection problem with a module. If you have a module radio do not remove the module every time you want to fit the radio in it's case to go home.

Love how DSMX came out because of the big events and too many radio's turned on at the same time. Watch this video and then tell me why we are even discussing this, eh Andy.

They make the new DSMX sound so great and get so excited in the video. Listen in the video, if you go to super large events with at least 40 radio's on you should get DSMX. HA HA I've gone to small fun fly's with 40 radio's on. Between the guys flying and the guys in the pits adjusting their stuff it gets up there.

We look at all the things going on in the field, You got that right Chris "in the field" as in "straight in to the field" Also known industry wide as a spektrum hard landing

Takes DSM2 and add's hopping, ya it's called Futaba.

For $75 we can fix all those DSM2 problem radio's out there so you can be assured when using the radio with more then 4 of your spektrum friends you won't have a Spektrum hard landing. I do have to give credit where credit is due and say great marketing by Spektrum to get their customers to pay for an upgrade that should have been free, and to have all their uses swear allegiance to the greatest radio protocol of all time, at least until X came along

For all those user's out there with DSM2 module's, sorry but tough titty.[] LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkyG-C8tQTg

Reminds me of the old days with the two guys up on the stage selling snake oil.

I'm having fun, good entertainment. Reminds me of the long days spent at the field with the buddies.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Rob2160

I see that you don't wish to offend anyone exceptme. Why is this becauseIrepliedto a post that was a reply of mine with alittle sarcasm? I am not offended in any way because everyone is entilted to thier opinion.1 Futaba 9ZHP( the radio I have been using for the last 18 years without a Hiccup) would do the work of all theTransmitters in your picture and then some. I also fly everyday (weather permitting) and 1 extrabattery packis all that is needed.The remark atthe end of your post(Trolling a Troll) I see as nothing but provocation and had nothing to do with the argument of Futaba vs Spektra. But if you feel that showing everyone on RCU all your Tx'sand boasting how you can afford any TX you wan't, more power to you.All thoseTx's iscrazy.Ifyou have so much money why dont you get the real Radio and an extra battery pack. I guess all those crappy Spekta's are still cheaper than the REALTHING!!!!!

Nah, I am just messin' with ya..

I never intend to offend anyone, I just saw your mock sarcasm and responded accordingly..

I have no more money for this hobby than the average joe..

Happy that you are not offended..

I googled the Futaba 9ZJP - looks a nice radio..

If having one radio works for you that is great..

Thinking I am crazy for having so many TXs??.. well maybe.. but this hobby is different things to different people..

These are my reasons for having many.. (and please don't take them as a criticism of just having one TX.. they are my reasons and they work for me..)

1. I just like different radios, in the same way that some people collect motor vehicles, even though most of us only have one.

2. I personally would get bored flying with just one radio.. I like the different feel of each, I set my stick tensions differently, My Warbirds use heavy stick tension, my helicopters use light tension and the jets are something in between.. It creates a sense of tactile variation between types.. I fly real planes, real helicopters and real jets and they all feel very different. Having different radios for each category of RC, gives me a similar experience..

3, For me having just 1 radio is putting all your eggs in one basket.. Sure, a Futaba 14 MZ is great.. but if that is my only radio and I drop it... A) I am grounded and can't fly, and B) I have an expensive piece of rubbish..

Having multiple radio... if I drop one radio, my flying rate does not stop.. and I am out of pocket a few hundred bucks..

for 2010 and 2011 my job was basically 4 to 5 days a month, the remainder was free time at home on a 1 hour call out.. ..

Building, flying and testing RC planes and helicopters was a nice way to occupy that time..

I calculated that on average I flew 30 flights per day x 300 days per year.. thats around 9000 flights per year for 2 years running, .. (yep I must be crazy)

How long would it take the average flyer to do 18,000 flights?

That isa lot of use for a single TX.. so having more than one spreads the wear and tear.. not to mention battery life..

All those flights are spread evenly between FutabaandSpektrum and JR which have all performed equally flawlessly, so if anyone wants to tell me my spek and JR is junk.. go right ahead.. its means nothing to me because mine work great and I have thousands of flights to prove it..

4. When learning Helicopters I went through the Blade Heli family, which were all Bind and fly, and I have at least 8 BNF aircraft, How can I fly them with a single Futaba radio? (No I don't want to swap modules several times a day)

Anyway those are my reasons which are valid to me.. but if one radio steams your beans that is great..

its cool you have had your radio for 18 years and still enjoy using it.. Everybody is different.. I have a 32 year old Kraft radio that still works exactly lke the day i bought it.. but I prefer the new 2.4 Ghz radios any day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8DU7WD8ra0

How do you define a REAL Radio?

Is your radio still FM?

Lets try a side by side RANGE Check with my cheapest and crappiest Spektrum DX6i in a noisy RF environment and walk out to 4 kilometers and see which one is REAL then...

Place your bets gentlemen.... which radio will give the best range.. a REAL 18 year old Futabaora Crappy 2.4 ghz DX6i..

Here is a clue..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...tm.htm#9829320

Again.. I'm just messin with ya.. come to Australia and I'll buy you a beer..

Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Rotten40851

No sweat Mate, I fly 2.4GHz with the new module for the 9Z. Iwas just expressing myself as well. I actually own a DX7 that I use for my Blade 450 3Dand my small electrics. I have had many glitches wlth this TX but not enough to lose any aircraft. Myopinioncomes fromThe glitches I have had and the Hundreds of Problems I have seen at my local field with Specktra gear,Alot ofthe guys at myfield use Specktra products and have problems but the guys with Futaba Gear have not. In my opinion Futaba is better.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Rob2160

No sweat Mate, I fly 2.4GHz with the new module for the 9Z. Iwas just expressing myself as well. I actually own a DX7 that I use for my Blade 450 3Dand my small electrics. I have had many glitches wlth this TX but not enough to lose any aircraft. Myopinioncomes fromThe glitches I have had and the Hundreds of Problems I have seen at my local field with Specktra gear,Alot ofthe guys at myfield use Specktra products and have problems but the guys with Futaba Gear have not. In my opinion Futaba is better.
Cool.. Given those experiences i would probably have exactly the same opinion as you..

Sorry to hear about your Glitches.. maybe I have been lucky, Perhaps the more recent gear is far more reliable.

I did lots of research and refused to buy the DX8s or the JR11xs until they were available as DSMX which I knew was going to be FAR better than DSM2.

According to Bruce at RC Model Reviews, it was worth waiting for.. http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dx8dsmxreview.shtml

Cheers..

Old 02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

No problems. Don't own either. Still on FM and AM. Work perfectly.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For those of you joining this thread late, and who are not willing to read through all 10 pages of this thread, here's a brief summary that will save you hours of reading time:

* Spektrum is crap. Futaba is great.

* Futaba is crap. Spektrum is great.

* Spektrum and JR are crap. Futaba is great.

* Spektrum and Futaba are crap. JR is great.

* Futaba and JR are crap. Spektrum is great.

* Spektrum, JR, Hitec, and Airtronics are crap. Futaba is great.

* Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, and Spektrum are crap. JR is great.

* JR, Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics are crap. Spektrum is great.

* Spektrum, JR, Futaba, and Airtronics are crap. Hitec is great.

* Hitec, Spektrum, JR, and Futaba are crap. Airtronics is great.

NOTE: Each of these statements can be backed up by posts on the internet. And as everyone knows, the internet is full of absolutely irrefutable proof.

***************unsubscribed***************
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Srewinkel

something to about... dsm2 choices the two best channels to lock on when powered up.. near the plane.  During flight those 2 best channels could become compromised, (more radios powered up, and in the case at the place i fly, wireless routers for internet being on..) There is a spot at the field that seems to always have the crashes, west on of runway, near travel trailors for the snow birds.  Summer time no problems, winter time, plane flys too close, wireless routers in trailors using same channels as the spektrum receiver equals loss of control...

Perfect setup in perfect enviroment all radios work very well, or I would hope the FCC would not allow it.  We are flying 5-20 lb cruise missiles.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM
zbo2

i'm glad i started with the last post....lmao
Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 PM
fragile

To:  ROB2160

When it comes to range, the 100mW RF outpot on 2.4GHz radio is no match to a 750mW RF output on 72MHz radio.

Furthermore, the 2.4GHz wavelength has much higher incurred losses than 72MHz wavelength which is further reducing
the range.

When out of range, error correction, unique GUID code, and the "robust" pseudo-random control sequence will do no good.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Rotten40851

LMFAO!!!!
ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

For those of you joining this thread late, and who are not willing to read through all 10 pages of this thread, here's a brief summary that will save you hours of reading time:

* Spektrum is crap. Futaba is great.

* Futaba is crap. Spektrum is great.

* Spektrum and JR are crap. Futaba is great.

* Spektrum and Futaba are crap. JR is great.

* Futaba and JR are crap. Spektrum is great.

* Spektrum, JR, Hitec, and Airtronics are crap. Futaba is great.

* Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, and Spektrum are crap. JR is great.

* JR, Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics are crap. Spektrum is great.

* Spektrum, JR, Futaba, and Airtronics are crap. Hitec is great.

* Hitec, Spektrum, JR, and Futaba are crap. Airtronics is great.

NOTE: Each of these statements can be backed up by posts on the internet. And as everyone knows, the internet is full of absolutely irrefutable proof.

***************unsubscribed***************

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.