Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum vs. Futaba?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum vs. Futaba?

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

The Futaba Service Bulletin recently issued by Futaba on possible lack of unique binding code in some 2.4 GHZ system models 6EX, 7C, and TM-7 was updated on Jan 30, 2008. Further info at:

Futaba Service Center 217 398-0007

Love how you pull up a Futaba issue from going on 5 years ago.

The heat issue was from users letting their Rx get to 120f. Let your under canopy electronics bake and stuff happens. It was corrected though. The heat thing was surpassed by the testing of the dms lock in 2 channel stuff that we still here about today. Don't forget that Futaba even with those problems are still using the original fasst protocol. Spektrum is now on it's, what 3rd protocol or is it the 4th.

That old adage, ''if it ain't broke why fix it'' comes to mind.
Fair point, yes it was 5 years ago but my point was that even Futaba makes mistakes. . .

I guess everything they produce recently works flawlessly. . . Hmmm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky_ZPx5KFZg
spektrum is on its third protocol?

Futaba. . . am, fm, pcm, fasst, fhss. Fasstest. . .? How many is that?

Go to the futaba website and click on the technology button. . How many protocols
appear. Looks like . . . Three?

http://www.futaba-rc.com/index.html

Have you seen futaba's compatibility chart. . Not all rxs work with all transmitters. .

http://www.futaba-rc.com/receivers/air.html

Unlike spektrum. . Any dsmx tx will work with any dsmx or dsm2 rx. . .
Old 02-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Mikecam

Futaba. . . am, fm, pcm, fasst, fhss. Fasstest. . .? How many is that?

Ya but they all work.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Give it a rest...long live futaba lol
Yes long live futaba. . My favourite radio is the 8fg. . .

I use it on my Gaui x5 - totally flawless. .

I just cant resist getting involved in a totally pointless discussion. . . Its a two hour flight to Tucson and american airlines dont have in seat video screens

Damn. . Qantas must be a bad airline as each and every passenger has their own inbuilt video screen and free on demand movies. . .

How dare they improve technology . . . .

All tongue in cheek guys. . No offense intended. . .
Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM
flyallday

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber
I hear Banjo music!! Paddle faster!!
[/quote]

I just want to thank you. Gave me the laugh of the day!

Harry

Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyallday

I just want to thank you. Gave me the laugh of the day!

Harry

[/quote]
Thanks Harry!! I saw a guy with this on his shirt the other day.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best post in this entire thread!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

futaba crashes too??????? maybe in a trillion years from now but frankly if you read all the various posts in here the vast majority center around issues with spectrum! and when you read the want ads most of the equipment for sale is spectrum.yeah I know I am biased but at least I never fret over my equipment and its reliability.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:53 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

and when futaba makes a mistake IMO they own up quickly and seem far more transparent than spectrum ever did .okay thats enough posts from me bye!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

and when futaba makes a mistake IMO they own up quickly and seem far more transparent than spectrum ever did .okay thats enough posts from me bye!
cloudancer03 Come back we need aome one with a sence of humor ... PLZ Don't go away "MAD"

Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 AM
TimBle

you don't need a sense of humour to realise that flying spektrum is like playing russian roulette with a loaded pistol.
not thanks, I'll take a Turnigy before that brand

PS: has anyone noticed how the *pectrum clan always try and butter each other up with false praises like "oh you're so intelligent, informed blah blah blah"..... yet they chose *plectrum.
They just keep strumming along to the voices in their heads
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: TimBle

you don't need a sense of humour to realise that flying spektrum is like playing russian roulette with a loaded pistol.
not thanks, I'll take a Turnigy before that brand

PS: has anyone noticed how the *pectrum clan always try and butter each other up with false praises like "oh you're so intelligent, informed blah blah blah"..... yet they chose *plectrum.
They just keep strumming along to the voices in their heads
Tim ... Carful Mate now there a lot of $peckers that really don't like the "TRUTH" ... Keep it up and they might call you a name or somethig. I'd feel Sorry bout that Matie.
ya know's whats ... it don't matter a hole hel-0-lot what systems ya is usen ther Matie. Sooners or laters theys all becoms a
"Smok'n Hol ins' the Ground"

Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM
willysknight

The old dx7 was a great radio. Even dsmx users want to buy those. The current problem lies in backwards compatability as per HH bullitins.You spektrum users,(I used to be), defend them till it happens to you. Dont say you were not warned.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: willysknight

The old dx7 was a great radio. Even dsmx users want to buy those. The current problem lies in backwards compatability as per HH bullitins.You spektrum users,(I used to be), defend them till it happens to you. Dont say you were not warned.
Spectrum defender I'm far from ... I'm the person that saw 13 Unexplained loss of control "Smok'n Holes" caused by Spectrum Radios 5,6,&7's in a 9 week period. I Use Futaba 9 CAPS with 72 mhz and HiTec 2.4and HiTec AROURA 9.
again it ain't the radio so much as when the R/C gods call that planes Number, when that happens it's "Garbage Bag" time.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM
BGCombs
My Feedback: (24)

You know, if any poster on here were at the 2011 Joe Nall, they would realize that there were "Smokin Holes" as a result of both Futaba and Spektrum/JR brands.

In fact, one of the days I was there, there was a Futaba guided warbird that mysteriously ended up in a pile behind vendor's row. There was also a Futaba induced jet that fireballed off the end of the main runway, while there were Spektrum splashes and crashes on the main, 3D, and float flying areas. It isn't perfect technoloy when both brands cannot function in a heavy 2.4 RF enviroment. It appears both have pros and con's. It would appear that on here, the Futaba bunch feels it's more important to tout their brand with put downs and brand stroking. Likely they are the same pilots who never crash due to pilot error.

As for me, I'm going flying..... Suposedly that is why we are all here?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

futaba crashes too??????? maybe in a trillion years from now but frankly if you read all the various posts in here the vast majority center around issues with spectrum! and when you read the want ads most of the equipment for sale is spectrum.yeah I know I am biased but at least I never fret over my equipment and its reliability.
Nothing is ever perfect.. Futaba causes crashes too..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866518

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9255720

This is a good one.. read post #8 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10522063

Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: BGCombs

You know, if any poster on here were at the 2011 Joe Nall, they would realize that there were "Smokin Holes" as a result of both Futaba and Spektrum/JR brands.

In fact, one of the days I was there, there was a Futaba guided warbird that mysteriously ended up in a pile behind vendor's row. There was also a Futaba induced jet that fireballed off the end of the main runway, while there were Spektrum splashes and crashes on the main, 3D, and float flying areas. It isn't perfect technoloy when both brands cannot function in a heavy 2.4 RF enviroment. It appears both have pros and con's. It would appear that on here, the Futaba bunch feels it's more important to tout their brand with put downs and brand stroking. Likely they are the same pilots who never crash due to pilot error.

Great Idea Simpsonville, SC 55 degrees cloudy and calm winds ... go for it.
Don't Tick Off the R/C gods ... They'll put your plane in a "Smok'n Hol"

Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Mikecam

The jet crash at Nall was the result of a mirrored cock pit that the Futaba people noticed was not a good idea and said so and in fact was not. David even admitted that if you search for it. Notice he talks about the mirrored cock pit and the fact he watched 2 other dsm2/x crashes.

Hey guys,

Yep, #2 now for me at the Nall. Here is what happened, I installed a new custom mirrored cockpit (receivers & powerbox royal underneath in stock location). I did range checks and flew with no issues. I flew late Wednesday and did a long slow roll, finished the roll and pulled up but the last input received was my aileron to stop the roll. It luckily went into an opening and scattered into the woods, no fire, unfortunately a total loss. Basically I was 2000' away (guess) looking up the tailpipe, through the motor, full fuel tanks and to top it off the mirror plexiglass cockpit floor over the RX's. I checked one of my 4,000mah lipo's that was still together and it read 8.05v under a load so battery wasn't an issue.

I saw one Spektrum lightning (classic) lockout and go in Thursday and this morning a Skymaster T-45/Hawk go into the woods and fireball (assuming it was DSMX cause of the pilot/owner but not sure).

There were many more lockouts and losses with prop planes that were quite scary.

My Tuono, Turbinator & Ultra Flash flew awesome and I didn't let my crash spoil my trip.

Here's Davids jet crash from 2007 for those guys that want to hold on to good old 72mz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR4CntziBe4

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866518 Check post #5, he over loaded his bec.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9255720 He only lost some channels, hey it's electronics, not the link.

I'm sure you guys had to look real hard. Go to any of the big 3 RC forums and check out the Radio sections and notice all the "I don't know what happened " DMS2 crashes.

I've said it before, you will see the DMSX crashes go way down and only then will it become apparent how suspect the DSM2 stuff really was.

To get serious for just a moment I truly hope that all the radio company's work toward getting a perfect link in our hobby. I fly at a few airshows during the year with the biggest attended by about 3000 people and the last thing I know any of us in this hobby wants to happen is someone getting hurt or worse. With the planes getting bigger and bigger the potential is there for something to happen especially when the plane has lost all link to it's pilot.

Okay serious stuff is now over so let the good Natured banter/entertainment continue.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Skaluf

ORIGINAL: BGCombs

You know, if any poster on here were at the 2011 Joe Nall, they would realize that there were ''Smokin Holes'' as a result of both Futaba and Spektrum/JR brands.

The two incidents you relate where both thoroughly investigated. Both were proven to not be related to radio failure.

Steve
Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I gotta say.. I don't believe there is a single system out there that is 100% bullet proof.  Each has their pros and cons with ther inherit risks.  Heck..even the military had a drone land in Iran. Dont' think they flew Futaba, Spektrum, or JR.

With that said.. I fly Futaba, but hold nothing against the other brands out there.  They all have their positive points, and it's up to the user to decide what they want to use for their application.  I love my 8FGh, but do wish it had more metal in the construction than plastic.  Bah.. I'm being picky now.

off my soapbox now
Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sure is a lot easier to read and understand posts written in plain English and typed with a normal black font than.........

Dem thar postes dats rittun n imeetayshone Kin-TUK-eee slang, WITH GIANT RED LETTERS, a Comic Sans MS font, "overused "Quotation Marks"", lot's o' apos'rophe's 'nserted 'n in'appro'priat'e pla'ces, add gobs ov intensheenal and unintenshonel spelin' und grammer misteaks.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Mikecam

LOL
Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM
TimBle

hey bru, who did learn you english. Its not misteaks, its MISSTAKES
Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

It sure is a lot easier to read and understand posts written in plain English and typed with a normal black font than.........

Dem thar postes dats rittun n imeetayshone Kin-TUK-eee slang, WITH GIANT RED LETTERS, a Comic Sans MS font, "overused "Quotation Marks"", lot's o' apos'rophe's 'nserted 'n in'appro'priat'e pla'ces, add gobs ov intensheenal and unintenshonel spelin' und grammer misteaks.
Thars a feller from the Mozoorie Ozarks Eldon, MO, Funnen on us poor Ken-tuk Boys. An hisn Englsh aint's nos bettrs thans mines isin ... Welcomes thar Brothr' glads ya'lls don climed abord thisn here funny farm, Chevy vs Ford Debate. Fords always carries more Whit Lithgen ... Baby. Now don't be funnen on thems R/C gods les theys Maks yours faveroit Aeroplane digs a "Smok'n Hol"
Anyway Davie boy if u don't like the RED just Scroll on By. No budys makeing ya read it.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Rob2160

The jet crash at Nall was the result of a mirrored cock pit that the Futaba people noticed was not a good idea and said so and in fact was not. David even admitted that if you search for it. Notice he talks about the mirrored cock pit and the fact he watched 2 other dsm2/x crashes.

Hey guys,

Yep, #2 now for me at the Nall. Here is what happened, I installed a new custom mirrored cockpit (receivers & powerbox royal underneath in stock location). I did range checks and flew with no issues. I flew late Wednesday and did a long slow roll, finished the roll and pulled up but the last input received was my aileron to stop the roll. It luckily went into an opening and scattered into the woods, no fire, unfortunately a total loss. Basically I was 2000' away (guess) looking up the tailpipe, through the motor, full fuel tanks and to top it off the mirror plexiglass cockpit floor over the RX's. I checked one of my 4,000mah lipo's that was still together and it read 8.05v under a load so battery wasn't an issue.

I saw one Spektrum lightning (classic) lockout and go in Thursday and this morning a Skymaster T-45/Hawk go into the woods and fireball (assuming it was DSMX cause of the pilot/owner but not sure).

There were many more lockouts and losses with prop planes that were quite scary.

My Tuono, Turbinator & Ultra Flash flew awesome and I didn't let my crash spoil my trip.

Here's Davids jet crash from 2007 for those guys that want to hold on to good old 72mz.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866518 Check post #5, he over loaded his bec.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9255720 He only lost some channels, hey it's electronics, not the link.

I'm sure you guys had to look real hard. Go to any of the big 3 RC forums and check out the Radio sections and notice all the "I don't know what happened " DMS2 crashes.

I've said it before, you will see the DMSX crashes go way down and only then will it become apparent how suspect the DSM2 stuff really was.

To get serious for just a moment I truly hope that all the radio company's work toward getting a perfect link in our hobby. I fly at a few airshows during the year with the biggest attended by about 3000 people and the last thing I know any of us in this hobby wants to happen is someone getting hurt or worse. With the planes getting bigger and bigger the potential is there for something to happen especially when the plane has lost all link to it's pilot.

Okay serious stuff is now over so let the good Natured banter/entertainment continue.
LOL.... Getting kinda bored with this thread now.. all I can say is from my own personal experience, Futaba, Spektrum and JR have been 100% reliable in many thousands of flights.. so if anyone tries to tell me ANY of those three brands are crap, I beg to differ and have 2 years and many thousands of flights to prove it... which is good enough for me..

The reason I get so defensive about Spektrum is that I was also a victim of the Scare Mongering that goes on in these forums..

2 Years ago i bought a DX6i on the recommendation of a local hobby shop (yep.. ok..I know.. silly me..)

But then went away for 4 days on a work trip and took the radio with me, to learn how to use it.. I read and researched the DX6i and found LOTS of scary information about lockouts, brownouts etc etc.. all the usual..

It totally spooked me and that same weekend Bought a Futaba 6EX, thinking I had wasted my money on the Spektrum...

I installed the 6EX in an EDF and it has been perfect for 2 years..

But I am naturally curious so I wanted to test the Spektrum for myself, Hence a cheap Hobbyking Aircraft and the testing process began.

I flew it to the limits of vision.. TRYINGto make it fail.. I flew it until the propellor literally stopped mid air and puffed a few lipos in the process (deliberately)

The good Old Spektrum never failed, then along came an MSR, the Blade SR, and then a 450 Helicopter, all on the same original DX6i...

I range tested the DX6i alongside the Futaba 6EX and got identical results..

Long story short, the Spektrum radio.. EARNED my trust and confidence over months of personal testing.. It is my most used radio with over 5000 flights and I use it every day, even when away on work trips, as I pack it and an MCPX helicopter in my suitcase..

Here it is in Tucson Arizona http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyQ8Xh_fbj8

and in Los Angeles a week ago.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBmmC2dY8Zw

I also put a DX8 and a JR11X. through the same testing and they have performed flawlessly, no faults, no failures ever... so again, they earned my trust and respect..

I love the BNF ease and simplicity of DSM2/X also and a friend of mine bought Spektrum also and has operated them similarly to me over 2 years and again.. NEVER experienced a problem..

So my posts are all factual and I have no bias towards one brand or another, if it works great I will promote it, if it is crap then I will slam it..

Spektrum, Futaba and JR all get a big thumbs up from me.. .

Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Paul_BB

Mon Dieu ! Now that's what I call anice "Smok'n Hol ins' the Ground"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.