Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Corona receivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:52 PM
grumpysod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corona receivers

Has anyone tried the CORONA receivers for 72 Mhz transmitters? These are available from Hobby King. Aparently they do not require a frquency crystal and I understand they bind to the TX in much the same way a 2.4 does.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Corona receivers

A couple of years ago, I bought a new 8 channel dual conversion Corona 72 Mhz receiver. It was intermittent on the bench, so it was never used.
It turned out that there was an internal crystal, and one lead had a bad solder joint. The "shrink rap" covering had stressed a bad solder joint, and caused it to fail.
I had a similar problem with a 2.4ghz receiver prototype. One channel was intermittent. There was a bad ball solder joint under one of the IC's.
The shrink rap held things together until the receiver was subjected to slight mechanical stress. A second 2.4ghz prototype had problems with the shrink rap as well.
The bind button was hanging up on the shrink rap.
Both 2.4 ghz receivers had plenty of range (slightly over line of sight) under ideal conditions. I was not able to make accurate sensitivity measurements.
The US vendor was a bit flaky at the time, so I didn't pursue things further.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Indy Park Flyer

I've used the 4 channel version without a problem. I used it mostly on small foamies, but I didn't have any problems with range or the receiver and transmitter losing contact.
Indy Park Flyer
Old 02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
prichiuso

I have and have used the Corona 72 MHz receivers both the synthesized (no crystal) and the crystal controlled receivers. I've never had a problem with the crystal controlled reciever but the synthesized ones can be tricky to bind to the transmitter. Especially since the instructions are so poorly written.

Oldflyer