Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Beginner TX RX - Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM
bob12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner TX RX - Help

I have recently started flying RC planes, namely the wilga 2000. I want to purchase the AXN floater jet from hobby king but i see that i require a TX RX 4 channel.

What would be a good Tx/Rx system to go for that i could use on the AXN floater jet and future airplanes? as i am considering to buy a transmitter that has at least 7 channels for the possibillity of adding flaps to future airplanes. I see that there are extremly cheap TX systems out there but i am not sure that this is the way to go ?

Secondly, how do i know which servo's and ESC will work with a specific receiver concerning voltage/current etc , and what battery voltage is required for the receiver, servo's and ESC as very little is said on the voltage levels of these devices ?

Any answers would help

Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Beginner TX RX - Help

ORIGINAL: bob12

I have recently started flying RC planes, namely the wilga 2000. I want to purchase the AXN floater jet from hobby king but i see that i require a TX RX 4 channel.

What would be a good Tx/Rx system to go for that i could use on the AXN floater jet and future airplanes? as i am considering to buy a transmitter that has at least 7 channels for the possibillity of adding flaps to future airplanes. I see that there are extremly cheap TX systems out there but i am not sure that this is the way to go ?

Secondly, how do i know which servo's and ESC will work with a specific receiver concerning voltage/current etc , and what battery voltage is required for the receiver, servo's and ESC as very little is said on the voltage levels of these devices ?

Any answers would help

First of all, most 2.4 receivers will operate with 4.8v or 6v receiver batteries although since there is very little difference in price, 6v is preferred. NiCad and NiMh are heavier batteries than LiPo, LithIon, and LiFe batteries, so if lightness is necessary, the Lithium based batteries are preferred. LiPo and LithIon charge up to 4.2v per cell, so they usually require a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to 5v or 6v. 2cell LiFe charges to 7.2v but quickly drops to 6.6v. LiFe Rx batteries can usually be used without a voltage regulator.

While the receivers can usually handle the voltage without regulation, the servos can be the determining factor. You need to check the specs on the servos you use to see if they are rated for 6v, otherwise, you need a voltage regulator.

If you are using electric power, many times, the same battery that powers your electric motor also powers your receiver and servos. This saves weight. You will most likely be using LiPo batteries for electrics. Most Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC) have a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) that provides full voltage to the electric motor and drops the voltage to the receiver and servos. Most ESC's have adjustable parameters that can be set using a PC, an external card of some type, or the transmitter.

Lithium batteries are rated as to the Voltage, Capacity, and Max Current Draw. For example, a 4cell LiPo pack would be 16.8v, fully charged. If it's capacity were 5000mah, it means you can draw 5a, continuously, for one hour. The battery pack will also have a C rating. In this case, a 20C rating means you could draw 100a (20x5000mah) until the battery was discharged.

You need to determine how much current your electric motor and ESC can handle and then decide on a battery pack that has the voltage, capacity, and C rating you need. The Capacity determines how long you can run your motor as well as how you manage your Throttle.

Without starting a Brand War, there are many good choices for transmitters and receivers from Hitec, JR/Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics, etc., with very low priced choices from Hobby King and others.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM
bob12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginner TX RX - Help

Thanks for the great response, I found it very helpful