Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

NEW RADIO WANTED!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
HELIFREEK6714

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW RADIO WANTED!

If you guys had youre choice of an 8 -10 channel radio what would it be?
For all around use and upgrade...in other words..if somebody gave you 500 bucks and said go buy a radio,what would you buy?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
ArchNemesis

Default RE: NEW RADIO WANTED!

I'm biased, But I think you have to look at the Airtronics SD10g.  10 Channels, extremely complete programming, all 3 position switches, triple rates, everything assignable to everything (assign channels as well as assign all your switches or stick switches).  Software upgradable, dedicated 2.4, heli has 10 predefined swashplates, 6 wing servo Sailplane setups and on and on.  All for under $500.  I've seen it as low at $379. 

-Mark
Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM
JIMF14D

I already did that. Bought Hitec Aurora 9 for about $325 and four Rx say $45 each for a total of about $505. That gave me six Rx as one came with the radio and Hitec provided one for free for buying the system.

Great deal, fantastic radio, good support from Hitec. You can get the same deals now if you shop around. Tower, A Main Hobbies and Tom's RC all have good prices. Also AMP Hobbies. Hitec still has the free RX deal till the end of June.

Give it a look!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:09 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HELIFREEK6714

For all around use and upgrade...in other words..if somebody gave you 500 bucks and said go buy a radio,what would you buy?
I think you would be very happy with the Spektrum DX8, Hitec Aurora 9, Futaba 8FG, Airtronics SD10G.

I happen to fly Spektrum and enjoy many of the Bind n Fly aircraft that Horizon offers. You can fly any of them with any JR/Spektrum radio or any Modular radio, from any manufacturer, that accepts a Spektrum Module. I fly Jets, Giant Scale, Giant Aerobatoic, Electrics, Gas, and Glow.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with the Futaba 8FGS. In fact happy enough to have bought a second one for backup! The free upgrade to 14 channels was great.

Bruce
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 PM
jmdairplane

i buy either 8fgs super or 10 cag 2.4 both are great radios[8D]
Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 8FGS has better heli software than the 10CAG.
I'd opt for 8FGS or perhaps the XG-8 from JR if its the DMSS version.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 AM
jayjayneri

8FG. Period....
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: HELIFREEK6714

DX8 and some extra telemetry stuff!

Andy
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
jmdairplane

i would go with the futaba 8fg super i have used futaba radios for years and never had a problem now i have a 10cag 2.4 and a 8fg super both should keep me busy for awhile.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Airtronics SD10G. The Futaba 8FG would also be a nice choice but I think time you bought the 14ch receiver to take you beyond 8ch's you wouldbe over the $500.00 point.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

For $500 you can get the new Futaba 8J ($239) with 2 rx's and then buy 7 extra rx's (2006 $35 full range Futaba) - that's a 2.4 tx, 20 model memory, backlit screen and nine rx's for about $500 - mine works perfect, none of the brownout or any other problems.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM
bigedmustafa

There really isn't a bad choice in the 8-to-10 channel market segment. I'm another very satisfied Airtronics SD-10g owner, and I'd happily buy another if the need arose. I think most every radio system mentioned in this thread so far would be a good choice. If I had to rank them according to my personal preference:

1) Airtronics SD-10g ($359.99 on sale right now at Hobby People)
2) Hitec Aurora 9 ($289.99 after discount from Tower w/ 6-channel receiver and second receiver free by mail)
3) Futaba 8FG Super ($429.99 after discount from Tower w/ 2nd receiver free)
4) JR XG8 ($489.99 street price per Horizon)
5) Futaba 10CAG/CHG ($599.99 after discount from Tower w/ 2nd receiver free)
6) Futaba 8J ($239.99 after discount from Tower)
7) JR 9503 DSMX ($549.99 street price per Horizon)
8) Airtronics RDS8000 ($179.99 on sale right now at Hobby People)
9) Spektrum DX8 ($429.99 street price per Horizon)
10) Turnigy 9X ($64.75 plus s&h at HobbyKing USA warehouse)

There are some really outstanding values on this list, and every radio has its own positive and negative attributes. The SD-10g was my choice because of the outstanding quality and ergonomics, the amazing reliability of Airtronics' FHSS 2.4Ghz radio platform, programming and mixing capabilities, owner's manual thoroughness, performance of FHSS-3 modulation, and the extremely reasonable cost of the system and extra receivers.

The truth is, however, that we could go down the list and make a case for most every radio mentioned. You simply need to decide which system's strengths and weakness best match what is or isn't important to your needs.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 PM
whidbey1
My Feedback: (9)

I always tell people, go to the field that you will fly at mostly, find out what radio most people fly, and purchase the best radio of that brand you can afford, that way local club members can help you program and set up plane, and program it.

my two cents

Bill
Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 AM
grizzly59

ORIGINAL: whidbey1

I always tell people, go to the field that you will fly at mostly, find out what radio most people fly, and purchase the best radio of that brand you can afford, that way local club members can help you program and set up plane, and program it.

my two cents

Bill
+1
Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going to the field is not always an optoin. The closet field is 52 miles one way. So that would not do me any good. With the ease of programing the newer radios, it should not come down to what they fly at any given field. A quick search on youtube and you will get hours of videos showing you how to program them.

Holding a radio in your hands is a good idea. They may just not fit your hands and there is no reason to use radio X if it does not fit well.

When I look back and see how the old Kraft, aluminum sheet radios felt in my hands to the new radios, it is night and day. The old Kafts felt like holding bricks.

Any of the newer radios will serve you well. I myself like Airtronics. Been flying them since my first Vanguard VG6DR.

Buzz.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 AM
grizzly59

Going to the field kind of suggests knowing members in your club and calling them on the phone. It does not really mean to drive to the field to ask somebody a question about programming. Sometimes there are programming issues that are hard to figure out even if you have the answer printed in front of your nose.

I do not think it ever helps a person with a question to give him an answer like, this is the brand I use. Facts about a transmitter and its use is what should be stated.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: whidbey1

my two cents

Bill
The problem with this is was most of the pilots with 2.4Ghz radio systems at my club were having problems with their brand of 2.4Ghz radios. The guys who were flying Brand X were having problems with lockouts and crashing airplanes, but they were still the most prevalent brand of 2.4Ghz radios at my club.

Nobody at my club flew Airtronics 2.4Ghz when I bought my first RDS8000 radio system. I was the first. Once I was familiar with my RDS8000 and I was showing it off regularly, other members followed suit. There are now dozens of Airtronics 2.4Ghz pilots at my club. Because I went out on a limb and decided to try something different, Airtronics is now tied with Futaba for the most popular brand of radio system at my club.

We still see folks flying Brand X radio systems, usually because they bought a RTF airplane or helicopter that came with the transmitter included. Heck, we even have a few pilots who actually like Brand X radio equipment. New members don't see Brand X as the inevitable choice anymore because everyone else flies that brand; they see all of the major brands represented. Folks in the market for a new radio ask questions and evaluate the features and benefits of each brand rather than following the herd.

The most commonly used product is often the one that is best marketed, not necessarily the best product. We didn't settle for "fly what everyone else is flying" at my club because what was common wasn't very good. It took some time, but we informed the club, learned about some alternate choices, and now what is commonly flown is a better radio platform.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM
grizzly59

I get your point and understand what you are saying and believe what you say. Maybe the fact is you introduced Airtronics and also taught the guys how to set it up in their planes.

This Transmitter talk drives me crazy at times. There is barely an Airtronics in the area at which I fly. That does not mean that Airtronics is a terrible transmitter. Most everybody that I know that flies Giant scale out here uses JR. In the 13 years that I have been in this hobby none of us ever lost a plane due to brown outs or lock ups. So when somebody complains about JR it is hard for me to figure out what the problem is. I think most of the problems relate to set ups and equipment used in the setups. I can tell you several times guys I ran into did not know how to bind a plane. Others have used the newest cheap brand of equalizer or regulator and I think that got them into trouble. Some guys I have seen do not know how to care for the batteries they are using. I have seen cases where guys did not plumb their fuel tanks properly. By the time you take into consideration errors modelers make in using the equipment I wish I would could really find out what percentage of the time it is really the transmitter or receiver. I never pay any attention when I see a thread about loosing a plane on a lock out.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

I will add my vote for the Airtronics SD10G..  I love mine..  Love the programming abilities and versatility!

Craig.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: Hoosier06

I get your point and understand what you are saying and believe what you say. Maybe the fact is you introduced Airtronics and also taught the guys how to set it up in their planes.

This Transmitter talk drives me crazy at times. There is barely an Airtronics in the area at which I fly. That does not mean that Airtronics is a terrible transmitter. Most everybody that I know that flies Giant scale out here uses JR. In the 13 years that I have been in this hobby none of us ever lost a plane due to brown outs or lock ups. So when somebody complains about JR it is hard for me to figure out what the problem is. I think most of the problems relate to set ups and equipment used in the setups. I can tell you several times guys I ran into did not know how to bind a plane. Others have used the newest cheap brand of equalizer or regulator and I think that got them into trouble. Some guys I have seen do not know how to care for the batteries they are using. I have seen cases where guys did not plumb their fuel tanks properly. By the time you take into consideration errors modelers make in using the equipment I wish I would could really find out what percentage of the time it is really the transmitter or receiver. I never pay any attention when I see a thread about loosing a plane on a lock out.
JR isn't the "brand x" that I was referring to. I think JR makes very high quality radio equipment, and the new XG line of radio systems is pretty sweet! I'd concur that batteries are often at the heart of many issues, as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 AM
wcmorrison

Hitec Aurora.  Great radio, easy to program with its large display.  Can be updated via the internet.  Good price.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read up on Spektrum's history and make your own decision about their products. Haw.

I like my Futaba 10CAG very much- rock solid, easy to program, light and comfortable.