Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dumb noob w/ DX6i

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 PM
gmannel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb noob w/ DX6i

The manual only tells me how to bind w/ the receiver key only - what about all my planes/helis like the Vapor, Champ and the MCX2 that have no receiver for a key? I can bind any of these w/ the throw away RTF 4 ch Spektrum/Blade/HobbyZone Txs w/ a single button push. The SR120 already had a "profile" in the DX6i so it binds, but nothing else. Also, how do I reset to default the (used) DX6i to get rid of all the prev programmed units? Thx. I really did read the manual, no help.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dumb noob w/ DX6i

ORIGINAL: gmannel

The manual only tells me how to bind w/ the receiver key only - what about all my planes/helis like the Vapor, Champ and the MCX2 that have no receiver for a key? I can bind any of these w/ the throw away RTF 4 ch Spektrum/Blade/HobbyZone Txs w/ a single button push. The SR120 already had a ''profile'' in the DX6i so it binds, but nothing else. Also, how do I reset to default the (used) DX6i to get rid of all the prev programmed units? Thx. I really did read the manual, no help.
All RC aircraft have some type of Receiver. Some, like the Vapor, have an ESC/Receiver combination.

For Binding to Receivers such as the one that comes with the Vapor, and does not require a Bind Plug to be inserted in the Receiver, you need to follow the instructions in the manual for the BNF aircraft. See Pg 6 of the Vapor manual below:

http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...nual_V2_LR.pdf

To put the ESC/Receiver in the Bind Mode, leave the Tx Off, plug the battery into the Receiver, wait 5 seconds and the LED on the ESC/Receiver will Blink, then press the Bind Button on the Transmitter and turn on the Transmitter. The LED on the ESC/Receier will turn Solid.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
gmannel

Thanks - I think the 'bind' button on the DX6i is holding the "Trainer" toggle up - there is nothing labeled bind and the manual only talks about the bind plug method. I am wondering if I need to clear the memory as the SR 120 is the only one I can bind to so far, by choosing aircraft # 3 which happens to be labeled SR120 by the prev owner.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 AM
BuschBarber

Thanks - I think the 'bind' button on the DX6i is holding the ''Trainer'' toggle up - there is nothing labeled bind and the manual only talks about the bind plug method. I am wondering if I need to clear the memory as the SR 120 is the only one I can bind to so far, by choosing aircraft # 3 which happens to be labeled SR120 by the prev owner.
Spektrum transmitters have a unique feature called Model Match. When you Bind the transmitter to the receiver, it stores a Globally Unique ID (GUID) in memory on each receiver. This GUID ensures that the receiver not only Binds to the Transmitter, but also to the Model Memory. Info from the receiver is also stored in the Model Memory on the transmitter. If you switch Model Memories in the transmitter, the new Model Memory will not Link to that receiver unless you Bind again. The receiver can only store the GUID for one Model Memory, so when you Bind again, it replaces the GUID with a new one, in Memory on the receiver. Never turn on the transmitter with the Bind Button/Lever pressed down unless you are Binding. If you do, you will have to Bind the transmitter to the receiver, again.

http://spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files...anual_DX6i.pdf

The Bind Process is referenced in the manual's Table of Contents and is described on Pg 18. You follow the Bind Process for the receiver, first, and then, while holding the Trainer Switch, you turn on the transmitter and let go of the Trainer Switch when the LED on the receiver turns solid. The Bind Process is basically the same for each receiver and transmitter, except for the need to use the Bind Plug on some receivers and the Bind Button for transmitter.

Pg 103 tells you the procedure for Resetting the Model Memory back to Factory Defaults. When you set up a new Model on a particular Model Memory, it is always a good idea to Reset the Model Memory, first. There are many parameters in a Model Memory and if you have a problem setting up your new Model, it may be because some of those parameters were changed inadvertently. Resetting clears out the Model Memory and sets all the parameters back to the original Defaults.

Each time you Bind, you also set up the Failsafe Conditions. You must be sure to have the Throttle Stick all the way down before you Bind. After Binding, if your transmitter loses the Link to the receiver, or the transmitter loses power, the receiver will go into Failsafe. Throttle will go to Idle and all other channels will Hold their positions until the Link is restored or the power to the Tx is restored. Some Spektrum transmitters and receivers will offer additional Failsafe Features, however, your DX6i has just one Failsafe condition.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 PM
gmannel

Thx alot! Will try a this when I get home.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
BuschBarber

Thx alot! Will try a this when I get home.
Thanks!

You can test the Failsafe by turning on the Tx and Rx, set the Throttle to Full, and then turn off the Tx. The Throttle should go to Idle. When the Tx is turned, again, the Throttle will move back to where it was set. Be sure to take off the Prop so the Vapor does not take off, or be sure to hold the aircraft.