Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Magnets and a 2.4 FASST

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:20 AM
rpw612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnets and a 2.4 FASST

Hello, Do magnets (rare earth magnets 3/16" dia.) to help hold a cowl in place on a giant scale plane effect the radio? Thanks to all
Old 03-13-2012, 05:26 AM
Skaluf

Default RE: Magnets and a 2.4 FASST

They have no effect.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Silent-AV8R

FWIW I have been using magnets around FASST receivers for some time. These include very strong and fairly large magnets to hold the cowl on a couple of racing boats (¾" OD by 3/16" thick) within inches of the RX. I also have been using magnetically actuated ON/OF switches in gliders, helis, and pattern planes. No issues there either, even when the switch is in contact with the RX as in my gliders.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM
rpw612

thank you.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
rpw612

Also, I asume this holds true even with a large gas engine w/ignition (da150). Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Silent-AV8R

I've flown both DA100cc and DA150cc powered planes with FASST with no issues. One of those had magnetically operated switches which caused no issues for the radio or ignition.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From a theoretical standpoint magnets can/do have an effect. At 2.4G I believe they would need to be fairly close to the antenna.
We used to use electromagnets in the form of electrically tunable chokes or coils to tune low frequency antennas, such as those that
received LORAN stations. I used to hate them because they used about 250vdc, and were remotely mounted on the masts of ships.
The vibration, moisture, and voltage caused failures, and I'd have to climb up there to repair. Don't use tags were not enough, I'd have to
physically disconnect the DC supply, and pocket a disabling part.
It's also possible that the physical size and distance from the antenna has more effect than the magnet strength.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: chuckk2

From a theoretical standpoint magnets can/do have an effect.

True enough, but so far actual use has demonstrated no issues with the types of magnets used in our models.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:29 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Electro magnets and rare earth magnets are not the same thing.  Rare earth magnets do not emit a frequency, electro-magnets do, even DC ones do.  A scope can detect an Electromagnet, but it cant detect a rare earth.  Magnets can only affect data that is magnetically entered, such as on a hard drive, bubble memory, or any other device that uses magnetism to set the data.  A SIM card, SD Card, or other such devices though are unaffected by magnets.  

OTOH if you fly with a magnet that is HUGE, its field can affect the radio signal, but something big enough to do so would be too big and heavy to even be in a plane.